HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 9, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #2,011 of 25,592
truthfully, I need more time to listen. It’s only been a couple hours.

That said, I have never heard a headphone as good as the 009 until the Susvara, for my tastes. They are definitely on the same level. I can’t say that about any other headphone I’ve tried.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #2,013 of 25,592
I have the 009S with BHSE and Susvara with MHA150. Two biggest differences for me are soundstage and clarity/presence of treble. Both are incredible sounding headphones. 009S has a smaller soundstage, with problems when material is panned to the extremes (the instrument will sound like it is right by your ear instead of in the soundstage). The 009S also has slightly more presence and clarity in the treble. The Susvara soundstage is wonderfully expansive with no issues with panned sounds. The treble is slightly more recessed. Except for the issue with extreme panned sounds, I’d have a hard time choosing one or the other in terms of preference. It’s only in A/Bing them with both units running at once that the above differences are very noticeable to me (except the extreme panning issue, which is annoying on the rare material that has some sounds panned to one extreme).

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #2,014 of 25,592
truthfully, I need more time to listen. It’s only been a couple hours.

That said, I have never heard a headphone as good as the 009 until the Susvara, for my tastes. They are definitely on the same level. I can’t say that about any other headphone I’ve tried.
Have you been able to compare the Susvara to the Abyss Phi??

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #2,015 of 25,592
I just did - it’s home with me now :)

Went to audio 46 and listened to Susvara and HE1000SE with Ak se100 > Hugo 2 > ican pro

I listened to the Susvara first (mistake for my wallet) and my initial thought was this sounds like a planar 009. Now 009 can sound very different depending on upstream gear. I use mine with a Carbon and Dave. I next listened to the SE and while it was somewhat similar tonally, it had this slight splashiness in the treble, and was significantly more closed in (in direct comparison). As context I bought an original he1000 when it first came out, and returned it because of the splashiness I described. It seemed less apparent in the 1000SE, but it’s something I am sensitive to which many others are not.

It takes a lot to wow me with headphones and boy did these wow me. While there wasn’t one area where I could say this is better than both the LCD4 and 009 combined (except for maybe head stage) they take the best of both and the result is a phenomenal headphone. Obviously these are after just initial impressions so subject to change with burn in, and time.

here are my initial impressions compared to my 009 and LCD4

Bass
bass quality is slightly better than the 009 and it has a bit more quantity than my 009 without bleeding into the mids. I think the LCD 4 and Susvara are equal in terms of bass quality but the LCD4 has just a tad more quantity.

Mids
Susvara has slightly superior mids overall to my 009 and slightly inferior mids to my LCD4. That said, this is with 009 and Carbon - which can have an ever so slight grain in the midrange. This would probably be different with a BHSE, T2 or GG. I still think the mids on my LCD4 are king, but the Susvara comes ever so close.

Highs
009 has the best treble of any headphone I’ve ever heard, and Susvara is only a hair behind it. Both have significantly better extension and resolution than th LCD4. While this isn’t the LCD4s focus, it’s still good - best treble of any audeze phone.

Soundstage
009 and Susvara are just about equal. Both provide big, out of your head sound. The Susvara May have the edge here slightly because the increase in bass quantity vs the 009 makes everything a bit grander. LCD4 is more intimate - but also more closed in.

It’s really like my 009 and LCD4 had a baby - if that makes any sense. While the Susvara isn’t best in any one area (except maybe soundstage) compared to the LCD4 and 009 collectively it is the best all around because it doesn’t have a weakness, excels in all areas, and is only slightly (and I mean slightly) behind in mids (vs lcd 4) and highs (vs Stax 009).

It’s as open as my 009, with treble extension and quality that’s quite close, with the bass of the LCD4 and a midrange that’s just a hair behind the audeze. Now I get what all the fuss is about.

Exactly what I was looking for! Currently using the V281 - and it sounds great to me - but certainly possible it could improve with another amp. That said, the v281 has plenty of power for it. I’m at 0 pregain, and I max out at 2 o’clock. Also, running the Dave into the v281 single ended, so would have more power if I went balanced in.

Equipment
Dave - Carbon - 009
Dave - v281 - LCD4
Dave - v281 - Susvara

One note, I’m using the stock cable and regardless of whether you are a cable believer or not - they are just way to cheap to be included with a headphone of this cost. I don’t care if people by after market cables - give me something decent stock.

I am pleasantly surprised by the build quality. Not quite audeze or Stax build quality, but way way closer than previous hifiman’s ive tried.
I have the Hugo 2 and Pro iCan driving my Susvara's now. I've heard the SR-009's and I use to own the LCD-4's. The Susvara's definitely sound electrostat like in it's presentation but with a much fuller sound to my ears. It sounds fast with superb tonality, pinpoint imaging, and has a wide enough headspace that made me give up my HD800S's. The best soundstage I've heard goes to the Abyss Phi's. They have a speaker like presentation unlike any headphone currently out. But the Susvara's are slightly better at bass definition, bass impact and extension sounded the same as the Phi's. What made me give up the Phi's was when I added sub bass to the Susvara's with the Pro iCan. The Susvara's actually had more bass, it was tighter, hit harder, and never distorted. It was the most impressive thing I heard from any headphone. I thought the mids and treble of the Susvara's were better that the Abyss Phi's as well. The Susvara's sounded so good they replaced my Abyss Phi's, LCD-4's, HD800S's, HEK V2's, SR-007 MKII's, and a host of other headphones. They are that good!

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #2,016 of 25,592
Have you been able to compare the Susvara to the Abyss Phi??

I don't know if you were specifically looking for impressions from him, but I can share my impressions again. If not, here are my impressions from quite a while back :)

I’m going to include comparisons to the Abyss Phi below, as they are both competing in the top of the line arena and are what I have on hand to listen to :)

"Bass: The Abyss Phi has more quantity, and to my ears, better quality of bass. The Susvara sounds a bit rounder and is less hard hitting. However, neither headphone seems to lack definition when playing complex bass patterns. I listen to a lot of Electronica, so this is something I pay close attention to.

Mids: I prefer the Susvara’s mids most of the time vs. The Phi’s. However, it really does depend what you are listening to and what mood you are in. The Phi seem to have a little less presence in the mids and are not as warm as the Susvara. Compared to the LCD-4, the Susvara is less warm, and seems to have less presence in the mids. They seem to bridge the gap between the LCD-4 and Phi nicely. In terms of mids, the Susvara just “works” for me and my ears.

Treble: Apart from the occasional sibilance I hear from the Phi at higher volumes (which I think might be more my source gear than the headphones but lets not get into that right now) I do prefer the Phi to the Susvara in the treble. The Susvara is smoother sounding, less in your face, and more relaxed. The Phi has incredible definition in the upper region, and really lets you hear what is going on. You can still hear great treble detail from the Susvara, but it is less present, and more chilled out sounding for lack of a better expression.

Soundstage: I like a big soundstage, and the Phi provides that. It is bigger than the Susvara. However, the Susvara’s soundstage is bigger than the LCD-4’s and much bigger than the Utopias. I don’t feel I am missing out when I’m listening to the Hifimans, I just prefer that extra width coming from the Phi, thats all. The sound coming from the Susvara seems to envelope the ear more than the Phi, but its really hard to describe.

Transparency, and technicalities: The Abyss Phi is again the winner in my books. Both have great detail, digging into the recording and pulling out the tiny things you want to hear at this level. However, the Phi is the more dynamic headphone, and can absolutely punch your ears off. The Susvara is a bit less dynamic, but seems to be about equal in terms of transparency to the source.

At the end of the day, the Abyss Phi is still my favourite headphone. It is more in your face, and aggressive. It is a no compromises all or nothing headphone. However, with that being said, the Susvara is almost as good, but completely different. It is easier to listen to. If I just want to chill out and enjoy some tunes, I think I will be reaching for the Susvara rather than the Abyss. If I have some free time and can really just concentrate on listening, I will reach for the Abyss. Perhaps its not a case of worse or better between these two headphone, and more of a case of different."

I should add to these impressions, and say that I don't own the AB-1266 Phi anymore. I will hopefully purchase a pair again in the future. The Susvara continues to get a lot of headtime, and I love them.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #2,017 of 25,592
I haven't tried that, but it's very tempting to give it a go this afternoon.

I was under the impression that this was not a particularly good idea, or not enough power, albeit Focal speakers are decently efficient.

Yeah, god forbid I want to try anything, right?
Super audio seems to think the same. Nothing like defamation of character over trying to experience more than one item in a hobby. At least I am Google famous now!

The same could be said as to how I settled on my current setup. Buying/selling and eventually settling on the Abyss and Dave for awhile.

At the end of the day, I would also like to state that this change also affects others in my family positively. We really enjoy listening to music together and this is much more simple than doing so with multiple pairs of high end headphones and separate amplifiers for each pair of headphones to ensure multiple optimal levels of volume.

I would disagree in terms of generalizing me as unstable for a number of other reasons, but this seems like plenty of response time to your statement.

Went to audio 46 and listened to Susvara and HE1000SE with Ak se100 > Hugo 2 > ican pro

I listened to the Susvara first (mistake for my wallet) and my initial thought was this sounds like a planar 009. Now 009 can sound very different depending on upstream gear. I use mine with a Carbon and Dave. I next listened to the SE and while it was somewhat similar tonally, it had this slight splashiness in the treble, and was significantly more closed in (in direct comparison). As context I bought an original he1000 when it first came out, and returned it because of the splashiness I described. It seemed less apparent in the 1000SE, but it’s something I am sensitive to which many others are not.

It takes a lot to wow me with headphones and boy did these wow me. While there wasn’t one area where I could say this is better than both the LCD4 and 009 combined (except for maybe head stage) they take the best of both and the result is a phenomenal headphone. Obviously these are after just initial impressions so subject to change with burn in, and time.

Bass
bass quality is slightly better than the 009 and it has a bit more quantity than my 009 without bleeding into the mids. I think the LCD 4 and Susvara are equal in terms of bass quality but the LCD4 has just a tad more quantity.

Mids
Susvara has slightly superior mids overall to my 009 and slightly inferior mids to my LCD4. That said, this is with 009 and Carbon - which can have an ever so slight grain in the midrange. This would probably be different with a BHSE, T2 or GG. I still think the mids on my LCD4 are king, but the Susvara comes ever so close.

Highs
009 has the best treble of any headphone I’ve ever heard, and Susvara is only a hair behind it. Both have significantly better extension and resolution than th LCD4. While this isn’t the LCD4s focus, it’s still good - best treble of any audeze phone.

Soundstage
009 and Susvara are just about equal. Both provide big, out of your head sound. The Susvara May have the edge here slightly because the increase in bass quantity vs the 009 makes everything a bit grander. LCD4 is more intimate - but also more closed in.

It’s really like my 009 and LCD4 had a baby - if that makes any sense. While the Susvara isn’t best in any one area (except maybe soundstage) compared to the LCD4 and 009 collectively it is the best all around because it doesn’t have a weakness, excels in all areas, and is only slightly (and I mean slightly) behind in mids (vs lcd 4) and highs (vs Stax 009).

It’s as open as my 009, with treble extension and quality that’s quite close, with the bass of the LCD4 and a midrange that’s just a hair behind the audeze. Now I get what all the fuss is about.

Exactly what I was looking for! Currently using the V281 - and it sounds great to me - but certainly possible it could improve with another amp. That said, the v281 has plenty of power for it. I’m at 0 pregain, and I max out at 2 o’clock. Also, running the Dave into the v281 single ended, so would have more power if I went balanced in.

Equipment
Dave - Carbon - 009
Dave - v281 - LCD4
Dave - v281 - Susvara

One note, I’m using the stock cable and regardless of whether you are a cable believer or not - they are just way to cheap to be included with a headphone of this cost. I don’t care if people by after market cables - give me something decent stock.

I am pleasantly surprised by the build quality. Not quite audeze or Stax build quality, but way way closer than previous hifiman’s ive tried.

I am one of those nuts who has owned pretty much every HP out there other than the Stax....i just sold my susvara that i owned for 8 months and used with my dave/blu2 and 281....i loved the susvara but decided to for the time being stick to HP's i can use straight out of the dave so i own the abyss, 4z and utopia......I will likely end up buying the susvara again in the future at some point

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #2,018 of 25,592

Bass

Mids

Highs

Soundstage

Equipment
Dave - Carbon - 009
Dave - v281 - LCD4
Dave - v281 - Susvara

My guess is that the HE1000se you listen to was not fully burned in, because closed in is how it sound new. Both the HE1000v2/se is more opened sounded than the LCD4 and comparable to Susvara in that regard.

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #2,019 of 25,592
I don't know if you were specifically looking for impressions from him, but I can share my impressions again. If not, here are my impressions from quite a while back :)

I’m going to include comparisons to the Abyss Phi below, as they are both competing in the top of the line arena and are what I have on hand to listen to :)

"Bass: The Abyss Phi has more quantity, and to my ears, better quality of bass. The Susvara sounds a bit rounder and is less hard hitting. However, neither headphone seems to lack definition when playing complex bass patterns. I listen to a lot of Electronica, so this is something I pay close attention to.

Mids: I prefer the Susvara’s mids most of the time vs. The Phi’s. However, it really does depend what you are listening to and what mood you are in. The Phi seem to have a little less presence in the mids and are not as warm as the Susvara. Compared to the LCD-4, the Susvara is less warm, and seems to have less presence in the mids. They seem to bridge the gap between the LCD-4 and Phi nicely. In terms of mids, the Susvara just “works” for me and my ears.

Treble: Apart from the occasional sibilance I hear from the Phi at higher volumes (which I think might be more my source gear than the headphones but lets not get into that right now) I do prefer the Phi to the Susvara in the treble. The Susvara is smoother sounding, less in your face, and more relaxed. The Phi has incredible definition in the upper region, and really lets you hear what is going on. You can still hear great treble detail from the Susvara, but it is less present, and more chilled out sounding for lack of a better expression.

Soundstage: I like a big soundstage, and the Phi provides that. It is bigger than the Susvara. However, the Susvara’s soundstage is bigger than the LCD-4’s and much bigger than the Utopias. I don’t feel I am missing out when I’m listening to the Hifimans, I just prefer that extra width coming from the Phi, thats all. The sound coming from the Susvara seems to envelope the ear more than the Phi, but its really hard to describe.

Transparency, and technicalities: The Abyss Phi is again the winner in my books. Both have great detail, digging into the recording and pulling out the tiny things you want to hear at this level. However, the Phi is the more dynamic headphone, and can absolutely punch your ears off. The Susvara is a bit less dynamic, but seems to be about equal in terms of transparency to the source.

At the end of the day, the Abyss Phi is still my favourite headphone. It is more in your face, and aggressive. It is a no compromises all or nothing headphone. However, with that being said, the Susvara is almost as good, but completely different. It is easier to listen to. If I just want to chill out and enjoy some tunes, I think I will be reaching for the Susvara rather than the Abyss. If I have some free time and can really just concentrate on listening, I will reach for the Abyss. Perhaps its not a case of worse or better between these two headphone, and more of a case of different."

I should add to these impressions, and say that I don't own the AB-1266 Phi anymore. I will hopefully purchase a pair again in the future. The Susvara continues to get a lot of headtime, and I love them.
It seems that the Susvara is very dependent on amp pairing. One individual mentioned that using the Pro iCan with added sub bass turned on, that the low end dynamics beat the Abyss and then overall a better all arounder headphone. They are both in the same price category as is the STAX SR009s. Hard choices but for a single headphone that does it all with great top extension and among the largest sound field presentations and wearability, the Susvara paired with the reasonably priced Pro iCan seems like a winning combination. I just wonder how transparent it will be introducing the amp in the HMS>>>>DAVE chain. I would expect the HMS + DAVE + Susvara to be better even in treble extension than the STAX + DAVE without HMS?? Anyone compared this scenario? Also, if the DAVE + HMS improves the sound stage of the HEKse then this could be better in terms of microdetail and transparency than the Susvara via DAVE alone with amp???

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #2,020 of 25,592
One other point—I think that soundstage with HEKse using a high quality silver cable to replace stock and adequate burn in could bring it closer to the Susvara and adding the HMS to the DAVE may close the gap between Susvara and HEKse even more ?

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #2,021 of 25,592
I am one of those nuts who has owned pretty much every HP out there other than the Stax....i just sold my susvara that i owned for 8 months and used with my dave/blu2 and 281....i loved the susvara but decided to for the time being stick to HP's i can use straight out of the dave so i own the abyss, 4z and utopia......I will likely end up buying the susvara again in the future at some point
So does that mean you can drive the Abyss direct from DAVE without an amp cause then the comparison between Abyss + DAVE without amp and Susvara with DAVE + amp would be an even more interesting comparison.

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #2,022 of 25,592

What amp was used when comparing Abyss to Susvara?

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #2,024 of 25,592
What amp was used when comparing Abyss to Susvara?

Chord Hugo TT2. Also a speaker amp but the Detail retrieval is better on the HTT2 direct. I also used to own the DAVE. No HMS though.

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #2,025 of 25,592
i used the 281......the abyss can be driven direct from the dave and thus is more transparent....the susvara requires an amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back