HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 31, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #1,981 of 25,810
Here are the list: MHA100, Violectric v281, ifi pro ican, GSX mk2. MHA100 I had when I bought the Susvara. The other 3 were amps I tried to match Susvara with. The P1 sounds much better than all of them. For my ears not even close.

The specs of the P1 seem good, but they don't list how much watts it outputs? Do you have any clue?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,982 of 25,810
The specs of the P1 seem good, but they don't list how much watts it outputs? Do you have any clue?

This is what I found. I guess for Susvara 60ohms, it's getting about 6W? I don't understand what distortion power and non-distortion power mean.
Capture.JPG

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #1,983 of 25,810
This is what I found. I guess for Susvara 60ohms, it's getting about 6W? I don't understand what distortion power and non-distortion power mean.

As you increase power output (more volume) you will get more distortion. These numbers are what the amp is capable of. They don't show what volumes one will be listening at with these output levels so they are irrelevant to the end user. Actual output power will depend on how much the volume knob is turned up.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #1,984 of 25,810
As you increase power output (more volume) you will get more distortion. These numbers are what the amp is capable of. They don't show what volumes one will be listening at with these output levels so they are irrelevant to the end user. Actual output power will depend on how much the volume knob is turned up.

Is it safe to say for Susvara (using the nondistortion spec), it's just over 5W of power in balanced? The commonly quoted number is 3W to drive Susvara to satisfying level.

Jan 31, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #1,985 of 25,810
Is it safe to say for Susvara (using the nondistortion spec), it's just over 5W of power in balanced? The commonly quoted number is 3W to drive Susvara to satisfying level.

Yes (ballpark), and no. You are just looking at max volume output of the amp with/without distortion characteristics in that chart.

For that amp the Susvara will get to around 110dB (fairly loud) peaks with approximately 500mW which is ~10% volume, approximately 115dB peaks (very loud) with 1.5W which is ~30% volume, and approximately 120dB peaks (painful) with around 5W which is ~100% volume.

What it shows is that the amp has more than enough to drive the 60 Ohm, 83dB SPL/mW sensitive Susvara. The amp spec isn't indicative of what the Susvara will actually use at any given output, but does show that it's enough for ear damaging listening.

Edit: The above % approximations are presuming a linear volume control.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #1,986 of 25,810
Yes (ballpark), and no. You are just looking at max volume output of the amp with/without distortion characteristics in that chart.

For that amp the Susvara will get to around 110dB (fairly loud) peaks with approximately 500mW which is ~10% volume, approximately 115dB peaks (very loud) with 1.5W which is ~30% volume, and approximately 120dB peaks (painful) with around 5W which is ~100% volume.

What it shows is that the amp has more than enough to drive the 60 Ohm, 83dB SPL/mW sensitive Susvara. The amp spec isn't indicative of what the Susvara will actually use at any given output, but does show that it's enough for ear damaging listening.

Edit: The above % approximations are presuming a linear volume control.

I think the power does have correlation with soundstage. P1 is on par with Gsx MK2 both around 5W balanced. They have similar sound stage to my ears. V281 is weaker than both of them, and it clearly sounds restrained to me. The P1 separates itself from the rest with how natural it sounds when paired with Susvara.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,987 of 25,810
I think the power does have correlation with soundstage. P1 is on par with Gsx MK2 both around 5W balanced. They have similar sound stage to my ears. V281 is weaker than both of them, and it clearly sounds restrained to me. The P1 separates itself from the rest with how natural it sounds when paired with Susvara.

I haven't heard either so can't comment on tuning. However, in general, I've found a huge correlation between a brighter sound signature and perceived soundstage so perhaps that's what is heard.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #1,988 of 25,810

I think the GSX mk2 is just 2 watts?

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,989 of 25,810
The GS-X mk2 is 5 watts into 50 ohms, balanced.

Here's some info from a review (I'm pretty sure the output specs used to be listed on the website product page, but I don't see them there anymore):

The Mk2, single ended, is capable of putting out 3.2w into 10 ohms. It will put out a robust power of 1.25w into 50 ohms. The Mk2 power is considerably more when used in balanced mode. The GSX Mk2 puts a robust 1 watt into 300-ohm headphones and puts 5 watts of pure Class A power into 50 ohms and is maxed out at 12.8w into 10-ohm loads.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #1,990 of 25,810
the GS-X and violectric 281 and more than powerful enough for any HP...it is just a question of subjective like or dislike

Feb 4, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #1,991 of 25,810
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 4, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #1,992 of 25,810
actually i had no problem driving my susvara using the pro ican on the lowest gain setting balanced paired with my dave

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #1,994 of 25,810
yes

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #1,995 of 25,810
Personally I like Utopia equal to Susvara. And I know some people who love both of them as well. Utopia is more to "general" while Susvara is the "Princess" kind of sound (Elegant and sweet).

As bass matter, even though I love utopia so much, I still prefer bass in Susvara, it is just hit deeper, more texture and seems closer to speaker presentation. If you think Utopia has enough bass then you will not think Susvara lack of bass body (or quantity). No, I do not need monster 100 watt amp to create these kind of bass on Susvara, actually even if both headphones pair straight from Dave, Susvara still not lacking any bass quantity compare to Utopia.

I do agree about HE6's bass is a bit at thin side.
I have heard amazing reviews of the HEKse direct from DAVE after burn in and a good aftermarket silver cable. It may be better than Susvara with an amp. Waiting to hear comparisons since of the Susvara needs an amp, the cost compared to HEKse without amp is significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back