HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 7, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,996 of 25,719
I have heard amazing reviews of the HEKse direct from DAVE after burn in and a good aftermarket silver cable. It may be better than Susvara with an amp. Waiting to hear comparisons since of the Susvara needs an amp, the cost compared to HEKse without amp is significant.

Very interested in this as well. Any opinions on:

Chord Dave > HE1000SE
vs.
Chord Dave > Violectric v281 > Susvara

Interested in a headphone to compliment 009 and LCD4.

Want a bigger head stage and more resolution than LCD4 and thicker than 009 with planar bass.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #1,997 of 25,719
Very interested in this as well. Any opinions on:

Want a bigger head stage and more resolution than LCD4 and thicker than 009 with planar bass

Sounds like you want a Susvara mate!

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,998 of 25,719
Sounds like you want a Susvara mate!

Thanks for the reply. Seen mixed reviews of susvara with V281, albeit those using the Dave as DAC seem to like the setup (through the V281). If I spring for the susvara, I don't really want to buy another amp.

You think I'll get good results with Dave > v281> Susvara?

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,999 of 25,719
Thanks for the reply. Seen mixed reviews of susvara with V281, albeit those using the Dave as DAC seem to like the setup (through the V281). If I spring for the susvara, I don't really want to buy another amp.

You will not experience what Susvara can do with the V281. I rank the amps I have tried specifically to pair with the Susvara in this order. Soundaware P1> GSX MKii > Pro iCan >McIntosh MHA100 > V281. V281 sounds constrained compared to the others. To my ears there is a big gap between the P1 and the rest. It's not saying the V281 is bad by any means. These are all elite level amps in their price category.

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,000 of 25,719
You will not experience what Susvara can do with the V281. I rank the amps I have tried specifically to pair with the Susvara in this order. Soundaware P1> GSX MKii > Pro iCan >McIntosh MHA100 > V281. V281 sounds constrained compared to the others. To my ears there is a big gap between the P1 and the rest. It's not saying the V281 is bad by any means. These are all elite level amps in their price category.

Which DACs were you using in your comparison? Also by constrained - do you mean, the opposite of effortless - like straining - or boxed in?

How close is the 1000SE to the Susvara directly via DAVE?

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #2,001 of 25,719
Also, anyone try susvara with Auralic Taurus mkII? I have that lying around not being used at the moment.

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #2,002 of 25,719
Which DACs were you using in your comparison? Also by constrained - do you mean, the opposite of effortless - like straining - or boxed in?

How close is the 1000SE to the Susvara directly via DAVE?

Like small soundstage and reduced instrument separation. I was using Pro iDSD and Qutest.

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #2,003 of 25,719
Also, anyone try susvara with Auralic Taurus mkII? I have that lying around not being used at the moment.

I use to own the Taurus and would not recommend it over the V281. Less power if I remember correctly. With that being said, I would take the Susvara on a non ideal amp over a lesser headphone on a perfect amp. The Susvara is special. Heck, I've run it off a used marantz receiver with great results. Ideal? No....but better than pretty much any headphone set up I've heard, and yes, I used to own the DAVE.

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #2,004 of 25,719

definitively yes, the susvara sounds wonderful out of the dave and 281.....

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #2,006 of 25,719
strong silent type

Feb 8, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #2,008 of 25,719
definitively yes, the susvara sounds wonderful out of the dave and 281.....

I have tried Susvara with several amps and some are better than others. Some just don't sound good (low power amps).

A Mac MC202 stereo amplifier is what I am currently using with them and they are incredible.

Keep in mind though that they will sound good even with a non-reference amplifier.

You just won't get every last drop of performance out of them...

Just go for it and upgrade your amp when you have the means.

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #2,009 of 25,719
I have tried Susvara with several amps and some are better than others. Some just don't sound good (low power amps).

A Mac MC202 stereo amplifier is what I am currently using with them and they are incredible.

Keep in mind though that they will sound good even with a non-reference amplifier.

You just won't get every last drop of performance out of them...

Just go for it and upgrade your amp when you have the means.

I just did - it’s home with me now :)

Went to audio 46 and listened to Susvara and HE1000SE with Ak se100 > Hugo 2 > ican pro

I listened to the Susvara first (mistake for my wallet) and my initial thought was this sounds like a planar 009. Now 009 can sound very different depending on upstream gear. I use mine with a Carbon and Dave. I next listened to the SE and while it was somewhat similar tonally, it had this slight splashiness in the treble, and was significantly more closed in (in direct comparison). As context I bought an original he1000 when it first came out, and returned it because of the splashiness I described. It seemed less apparent in the 1000SE, but it’s something I am sensitive to which many others are not.

It takes a lot to wow me with headphones and boy did these wow me. While there wasn’t one area where I could say this is better than both the LCD4 and 009 combined (except for maybe head stage) they take the best of both and the result is a phenomenal headphone. Obviously these are after just initial impressions so subject to change with burn in, and time.

here are my initial impressions compared to my 009 and LCD4

Bass
bass quality is slightly better than the 009 and it has a bit more quantity than my 009 without bleeding into the mids. I think the LCD 4 and Susvara are equal in terms of bass quality but the LCD4 has just a tad more quantity.

Mids
Susvara has slightly superior mids overall to my 009 and slightly inferior mids to my LCD4. That said, this is with 009 and Carbon - which can have an ever so slight grain in the midrange. This would probably be different with a BHSE, T2 or GG. I still think the mids on my LCD4 are king, but the Susvara comes ever so close.

Highs
009 has the best treble of any headphone I’ve ever heard, and Susvara is only a hair behind it. Both have significantly better extension and resolution than th LCD4. While this isn’t the LCD4s focus, it’s still good - best treble of any audeze phone.

Soundstage
009 and Susvara are just about equal. Both provide big, out of your head sound. The Susvara May have the edge here slightly because the increase in bass quantity vs the 009 makes everything a bit grander. LCD4 is more intimate - but also more closed in.

It’s really like my 009 and LCD4 had a baby - if that makes any sense. While the Susvara isn’t best in any one area (except maybe soundstage) compared to the LCD4 and 009 collectively it is the best all around because it doesn’t have a weakness, excels in all areas, and is only slightly (and I mean slightly) behind in mids (vs lcd 4) and highs (vs Stax 009).

It’s as open as my 009, with treble extension and quality that’s quite close, with the bass of the LCD4 and a midrange that’s just a hair behind the audeze. Now I get what all the fuss is about.

Exactly what I was looking for! Currently using the V281 - and it sounds great to me - but certainly possible it could improve with another amp. That said, the v281 has plenty of power for it. I’m at 0 pregain, and I max out at 2 o’clock. Also, running the Dave into the v281 single ended, so would have more power if I went balanced in.

Equipment
Dave - Carbon - 009
Dave - v281 - LCD4
Dave - v281 - Susvara

One note, I’m using the stock cable and regardless of whether you are a cable believer or not - they are just way to cheap to be included with a headphone of this cost. I don’t care if people by after market cables - give me something decent stock.

I am pleasantly surprised by the build quality. Not quite audeze or Stax build quality, but way way closer than previous hifiman’s ive tried.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #2,010 of 25,719
I just did - it’s home with me now :)

Went to audio 46 and listened to Susvara and HE1000SE with Ak se100 > Hugo 2 > ican pro

I listened to the Susvara first (mistake for my wallet) and my initial thought was this sounds like a planar 009. Now 009 can sound very different depending on upstream gear. I use mine with a Carbon and Dave. I next listened to the SE and while it was somewhat similar tonally, it had this slight splashiness in the treble, and was significantly more closed in (in direct comparison). As context I bought an original he1000 when it first came out, and returned it because of the splashiness I described. It seemed less apparent in the 1000SE, but it’s something I am sensitive to which many others are not.

It takes a lot to wow me with headphones and boy did these wow me. While there wasn’t one area where I could say this is better than both the LCD4 and 009 combined (except for maybe head stage) they take the best of both and the result is a phenomenal headphone. Obviously these are after just initial impressions so subject to change with burn in, and time.

here are my initial impressions compared to my 009 and LCD4

Bass
bass quality is slightly better than the 009 and it has a bit more quantity than my 009 without bleeding into the mids. I think the LCD 4 and Susvara are equal in terms of bass quality but the LCD4 has just a tad more quantity.

Mids
Susvara has slightly superior mids overall to my 009 and slightly inferior mids to my LCD4. That said, this is with 009 and Carbon - which can have an ever so slight grain in the midrange. This would probably be different with a BHSE, T2 or GG. I still think the mids on my LCD4 are king, but the Susvara comes ever so close.

Highs
009 has the best treble of any headphone I’ve ever heard, and Susvara is only a hair behind it. Both have significantly better extension and resolution than th LCD4. While this isn’t the LCD4s focus, it’s still good - best treble of any audeze phone.

Soundstage
009 and Susvara are just about equal. Both provide big, out of your head sound. The Susvara May have the edge here slightly because the increase in bass quantity vs the 009 makes everything a bit grander. LCD4 is more intimate - but also more closed in.

It’s really like my 009 and LCD4 had a baby - if that makes any sense. While the Susvara isn’t best in any one area (except maybe soundstage) compared to the LCD4 and 009 collectively it is the best all around because it doesn’t have a weakness, excels in all areas, and is only slightly (and I mean slightly) behind in mids (vs lcd 4) and highs (vs Stax 009).

It’s as open as my 009, with treble extension and quality that’s quite close, with the bass of the LCD4 and a midrange that’s just a hair behind the audeze. Now I get what all the fuss is about.

Exactly what I was looking for! Currently using the V281 - and it sounds great to me - but certainly possible it could improve with another amp. That said, the v281 has plenty of power for it. I’m at 0 pregain, and I max out at 2 o’clock. Also, running the Dave into the v281 single ended, so would have more power if I went balanced in.

Equipment
Dave - Carbon - 009
Dave - v281 - LCD4
Dave - v281 - Susvara

One note, I’m using the stock cable and regardless of whether you are a cable believer or not - they are just way to cheap to be included with a headphone of this cost. I don’t care if people by after market cables - give me something decent stock.

I am pleasantly surprised by the build quality. Not quite audeze or Stax build quality, but way way closer than previous hifiman’s ive tried.
So if you had to pick a final keeper between the STAX SR009s vs Susvara ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back