HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 11, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #1,936 of 25,551
Thats a shame, they really do look great on the Susvara.

I've been listening to the Susvara this morning after a couple weeks with the Diana Phi only. They are still such a superb sounding headphone. So glad they are a part of my collection.

The thing i don't know is if the sound difference is due to mostly material, shape or a combination of both. I'm thinking about getting the Brainwavz velour ones to test out also.

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #1,937 of 25,551
The thing i don't know is if the sound difference is due to mostly material, shape or a combination of both. I'm thinking about getting the Brainwavz velour ones to test out also.

Probably a bit of both to be honest. Pads can really change the sound signature, sometime for the better, sometimes the worse. I wonder how the Audeze Vegans would fair on the Susvara, as people really like them on the HE6.

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #1,938 of 25,551
Probably a bit of both to be honest. Pads can really change the sound signature, sometime for the better, sometimes the worse. I wonder how the Audeze Vegans would fair on the Susvara, as people really like them on the HE6.
I really like Hifiman Velpads for my HE6. It just sounds better than any other pads that I've tried, including Focus pads. Velour is definitely the one to try as it's most different from other pad materials.

Jan 12, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #1,940 of 25,551
@ufospls2
Can I ask what it is. you don't like about the 'stock' Susvara pads?

I have absolutely no problem with the stock pads, super happy with them. It is @gordec that is trying different variations :) Not me.

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,942 of 25,551
Apologies, I misread who was posting about the pads.
:beerchug:

@gordec
Can I ask what it is you don't like about the 'stock' Susvara pads?

Depends on how it sits on your ear, the helix of the pinna may touch the padding. It's not that bad. They are actually very comfortable. I just wanted to try something difference and perhaps improves on comfort a little. Also I'm fully happy with every part about my desktop setup down to power cables. I feel the itch to make little changes even if they are little changes. GAS (Gear Alteration Syndrome).

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,943 of 25,551
For me, the upper part of my ear makes contact and gets pushes in a little, but is a non-issue until I wear them for more than an hour or two, at which point comfort goes down from an 8 out of 10 to a 7 or 6 out of 10. If there was literally a half-millimeter less clearance, I think it would be more of a problem for me. As has been expressed previously, I could see this possibly happening as the pads wear down over a longer period of time...

I remember with the LCD-X, the pads started to prolapse after a month of use probably due to clamping force and weight to the point that the tip of my ear would touch the inner part of the driver and it would start to get painful, and I'd get this weird cold spot on the pinna of my left ear. That was unfortunate (and lame).

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #1,944 of 25,551
Update of the Brainwavz:

I was unhappy with how the sleeves of the pads being loose fit. So today I took them off and used some shoe glue to glue the sleeves 360 degrees around the mounting ring. Now cosmetically, it looks really nice. If you are going to get the Brainwavz, I would do it in the following steps.

1. Trim the earpad sleeves, so there is about 1 cm of it remaining.
2. Insert the mounting ring onto the earpad.
3. Use a qtip and apply thin layer of shoe glue around the outer most plastic rim of the mounting ring.
4. Wait 1 hour and install. There is a trick of how to snap the mounting ring onto the ear cup. After 2 slots are in, for the 3rd and last slots, you want to grab the outer and inner part of the ear pad, press down and twist it into the groove.

That's defo a cool mod. Improving Susvaras for pennies is a win!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 16, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #1,945 of 25,551
The stock pads are quite shallow and do touch my ears, although that doesn't bother me to much.
I do like the cloth portion on the stock pads, whatever the exact material. They feel more comfortable against the skin than leather.
Thanks for sharing your experience, gordec!

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #1,949 of 25,551
I am very curious as well about the TT2 and how it might drive the Susvara.
Not sure if it correlates but... if I compare how an efficient hp like the Utopias sound directly out of the Dave vs. Dave + amp, there is a difference you may or may not prefer. For example, the Utopias sound very vivid and incredibly detailed directly out of the Dave but lack in other department like sound stage.
Some of the initial feedbacks from Niimbus users were not too impressive. Or were they? I stopped monitoring.
A speaker amp is another option to consider. I have the Pass Labs XA25 arriving in couple of days, will post some impressions in a week or two.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,950 of 25,551
Looking forward to hearing about how the XA25 sounds with the Susvara. I noticed a couple used ones going for good prices here and elsewhere over the last few days.

On a related note, I'm still loving the First Watt J2 with the Susvara. The presentation is clean af.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back