HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #1,906 of 25,614
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #1,907 of 25,614
The 281 is superb with the susvara and Phi as well from the dave.....

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,908 of 25,614
Anyone has tried
Thanks! I have never heard about the Xi Audio Formula S. The pairing with Susvara is rated high in the following review: https://headfonics.com/2018/07/xi-audio-formula-s-review/2/
I will wait / search for more impressions.

It look sexy as hell. Makes the P1 look like a toy.

BTW, has anyone tried Stefan Audio Art Endorphin cables? I’m trying to see if upgrade from Ted Allen Silver Litz can improve the Susvara. I’m usually a believer in better material in cables = better sound even though implementation can be very important.

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #1,909 of 25,614
The 281 is superb with the susvara and Phi as well from the dave.....

I have no doubts about this but I own the iFi and I am not sure if the 281 would be a meaningful upgrade for me. Side upgrade? Or upgrade at all? I almost bought it but I am now considering the P1, Niimbus and Xi Audio Formula S that should be all better... I will give it more time. I am actually very happy with my current setup

Anyone has tried

It look sexy as hell. Makes the P1 look like a toy.

BTW, has anyone tried Stefan Audio Art Endorphin cables? I’m trying to see if upgrade from Ted Allen Silver Litz can improve the Susvara. I’m usually a believer in better material in cables = better sound even though implementation can be very important.

Yes, it looks really nice.

I still use the stock Susvara cables. I enjoy my setup so much that I have no reason to consider nonstock cables for Susvara.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #1,910 of 25,614
i had the ifi and sold it....FWIIW

Dec 20, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,911 of 25,614
I like my Pro iCan with the Susvara’s. It drives them very well. But if I had to pick the one I think it’s missing it would be a personality. The Pro iCan to me sounds like the source it’s being feed, which is what you want from and amp. But I wouldn’t mind a touch more musicality with my Susvara’s. But that would mean getting the amps that @seaice is considering. Anything other than those would be a side grade to me.

Dec 22, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #1,912 of 25,614
Thanks! I have never heard about the Xi Audio Formula S. The pairing with Susvara is rated high in the following review: https://headfonics.com/2018/07/xi-audio-formula-s-review/2/
I will wait / search for more impressions.

I can offer my feedback about using the XI Audio Formula S + Powerman combo with my Abyss Phi (I haven't tried the Susvara, though, sorry…).

I would define this gear as quite neutral, with a slight hint of warmth compared, for example, to the Headamp GSX Mk2.

To me, it is a nice complement to using the DAVE direct, where I trade off a bit of transparency and holographic imaging for more drive and oomph when I want to play large orchestral works at realistic levels, or in general very complex - even modern / electronic - music where several instruments play together with extreme dynamics variations.

With the Abyss Phi I get better results with the Formula S in high gain mode, which I would assume is the best option for the even less sensitive Susvara. The music plays effortlessly and with plenty of grip, air and control, a nicely large but realistic soundstage and it is almost as refined and "pure" as with the DAVE alone. With the volume knob at about 1/3 the loudness is already very high except for recordings with low base volume.

I have tried the Formula S with and without the Powerman power supply, and the latter adds a lower noise floor, smoother midrange (good for vocals) and better depth perception.

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #1,913 of 25,614
I had the iCan. The footprint was nice for the ability to drive the Susvara adequately. The first bass boost setting was fun to play with every so often. I switched to the McIntosh MHA 150 so I could stack it with the MCT 80 universal player and utilize my giant collection of MoFi media and other SACD/DVD-A/CD media through the HPs.

Dec 22, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #1,914 of 25,614
I had the iCan. The footprint was nice for the ability to drive the Susvara adequately. The first bass boost setting was fun to play with every so often. I switched to the McIntosh MHA 150 so I could stack it with the MCT 80 universal player and utilize my giant collection of MoFi media and other SACD/DVD-A/CD media through the HPs.
hello, the MHA 150 is a very nice amp, but you will not have the transparency of ifi pro ican, impossible, MHA 150 and a beautiful device but audiophiles research headphone amps transparent whether for the Susvara or LCD 4 or other,

Dec 22, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #1,915 of 25,614
hello, the MHA 150 is a very nice amp, but you will not have the transparency of ifi pro ican, impossible, MHA 150 and a beautiful device but audiophiles research headphone amps transparent whether for the Susvara or LCD 4 or other,

They sounded exactly the same to me. At least in solid state mode.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #1,916 of 25,614
Anyone has experience replacing earpads? I just ordered the earpads mounting ring for the Susvara. The earpads for the Susvara is 115x111mm. There are no other headphones with that exact dimension. I assume that as long as the mounting ring is the right size, you can use similar size pads right? Like the Brainwaz XL Round is 110x100.

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #1,917 of 25,614
Is there a recommended volume level on the Dave when you have it connected to a hp amp? HPA-1 to be exact? I remember reading on here somewhere -9 dB was ideal. At maximum of 19 dB, I do get some static listening to Susvaras but seems okay up to about 10 dB and was wondering if it could be harmful.

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #1,918 of 25,614
I would love some new pads for the Susvaras, something deeper with more cushion perhaps. I purchased a pair of dekoni pads they had recommended for the Susvara but they were way too small. I told them about it as I was returning them. They took out Susvaras as compatible hp for the pads on their website since.

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #1,919 of 25,614
Is there a recommended volume level on the Dave when you have it connected to a hp amp? HPA-1 to be exact? I remember reading on here somewhere -9 dB was ideal. At maximum of 19 dB, I do get some static listening to Susvaras but seems okay up to about 10 dB and was wondering if it could be harmful.

If I remember correctly, with the DAVE driving headphones directly, above +4 is entering into possible clipping territory. With regards to connecting it to an amp as a DAC, I found the below quote.

"Putting the DAVE in DAC mode does nothing more than set the output to 3v, -3dB. So having the DAVE in non DAC mode and manually setting the output to -3dB achieves exactly the same output. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back