HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 17, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,891 of 25,546
The Susvara really shines with a Lazuli Reference cable. If you are already invested in a headphone of this caliber, it deserves a super-cable like this. It really brings the Susvara up a notch (actually, several notches).
The texture is filled out nicely and the bass more grand.

At $1000 I wish it's pure silver. I know it's about implementation. I actually can't hear difference between stock cables and 2 other cables I have tried. I eventually just settled on the Ted Allen Silver Litz. It's ultra soft and looks cool with the Susvara. I

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #1,892 of 25,546
Dec 19, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,896 of 25,546
Just curious... does the Hifiman HE adapter work(safe?) for connecting the Susvara to a speaker amp? Are there any alternative or better way?

As long as the amplifier isn't a tube or a monster 1000 WPC amp, just buy something a 4-pin XLR to banana (or spade) speaker tap cable & hook it up directly to the speaker taps
SAKOLDr.jpg

Just be sure to have the volume the lowest when you start playing music & gradually turn it up.

Ted from Headphonelounge can build you one within a day.

Dec 19, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,897 of 25,546
As long as the amplifier isn't a tube or a monster 1000 WPC amp, just buy something a 4-pin XLR to banana (or spade) speaker tap cable & hook it up directly to the speaker taps
SAKOLDr.jpg

Just be sure to have the volume the lowest when you start playing music & gradually turn it up.

Ted from Headphonelounge can build you one within a day.

That's what I did when I had MHA100. I had this XLR to banana plug adapter. It's sitting on my shelf right now. No need for the HE adapter unless you have a tube speaker amp or a ridiculously powered solid state > 100W.

scv_15189265187891630818828 (1).jpg

Dec 19, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #1,898 of 25,546
What I've done -- now that I've settled on a speaker amp I like -- is to custom order a banana plug-to-XLR adapter using the same cable type that I use as my headphone cable (Lavricables Master Silver 20). This way, I can keep the cable material more or less constant going from the amp into the headphones.

Dec 19, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #1,902 of 25,546
Although I don't like having to turn the volume up past 3 o'clock position on the Pass Labs HPA-1, there is something very special about the sq it delivers - very refined and sophisticated sound quality that I do not hear even from the GS-X mk2. So, I've read a lot about their higher end speaker amps and also about the J2 which actually has some history and track record compared to the similarly priced and relatively new xa25. I wish I knew more about this stuff to be able to compare the specs of these two and come to some kind of conclusion as far as how they would be different or what would be better for the Susvara, but... Would the xa25 be okay to drive the Susvara? Does anyone own it or have any experience?

Dec 20, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #1,904 of 25,546
After getting my own Soundaware P1 and adding Uptone JS2 and Niagara 1000, I'm happy to say that Susvara may be the ultimate end game. I still have vivid memories from my 1 hours private audition of the Sennheiser HE1, and it had everything I wanted. I want as natural and analogue of a sound a headphone system can achieve. I want holographic imaging and large but not artificial sound stage. The HE1 became my reference. At that time, I had HE1000 v2 solely powered by McIntosh MHA100 acting as both DAC/AMP. This sounded good but not in the same league as HE1.

Then I sold HeK V2 for Susvara still using MHA100. I got an incremental upgrade, but still not in the same ballpark as HE1. Fast forward to now. I have ran through a few DACs and Amps trying to find the best combination for Susvara.

In terms of the DACs, the list includes Qutest, Gumby with Gen 5 USB, Yggy A2, Pro iDSD. The Pro iDSD for me is the best fit because it is the most dynamic and punchy sounding DAC for the Susvara which can sound a little too smooth.

For amps, Pro iCan, MHA100, V281 with volume attenuater, GSX MK2, and Soundaware P1. The P1 happened before V281 and GsX. I had the P1 as their loaner program for about 3 weeks and was pretty damn sure that it's what I want. The only reason I bought the V281 and GsX was to convince myself that an obscure Chinese amplifier who's headfi thread up til today only has 90 posts can outshine the legendary V281 and GsX. Lets put it this way, the Susvara is unlistenable with all the other amps after pairing it with the P1. All other amps have smaller sound stage and sound less natural compared to the P1. There is a sense of freedom when you listen to the Susvara with the P1. To this day, this is still the biggest surprise in my Susvara journey.

Clean power won't change sound signature, but can improve listening experience dramatically. The combination of Uptone JS2 (which feeds both my Paul Pang USB card and Pro iDSD) and Audioquest Niagara 1000 (which powers the P1 and the JS2) definitely improves on clarity and separation. I think the soundstage expanded some but equivocal. There may be more body to the music but equivocal. More importantly it gives you that clean sound 24/7. You don't have to wait until 4 am in the morning when your neighbors to be asleep to enjoy clean power. When I have time, I may try to separate the JS2 and Niagara to see which makes the bigger difference.

Today I can confidently say that with my current setup, the Susvara is on the same playing field as the HE1 if not surpassed it in some areas. The Susvara has the sweetest vocals. The clarity and separation is amazing. Even in poorly recorded tracks, you don't feel congested. Soundstage is wide and deep. You can't escape the fact that you are listening to headphones, but because it's so airy, you never experience listening fatigue. Most importantly to me, the Susvara sounds completely natural and analogue. There is zero digital glare. Comparing to the HE1, Susvara has better vocals and sounds cleaner. HE1 has an edge on soundstage depth and holographic imaging.

Thank you! This is an extremely informative review for me! I am still happily stuck with the iFi Pro iCan (sourced by Chord HMS>Dave) and I am not sure if there is any meaningful/substantial headamp improvement possible in my situation. How is iFi vs v281 and GsX standing? Any change that you will compare the new Niimbus amp with your P1? https://www.cma.audio/en/categories/headphones/headphone-amps/niimbus-us4

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,905 of 25,546
Thank you! This is an extremely informative review for me! I am still happily stuck with the iFi Pro iCan (sourced by Chord HMS>Dave) and I am not sure if there is any meaningful/substantial headamp improvement possible in my situation. How is iFi vs v281 and GsX standing? Any change that you will compare the new Niimbus amp with your P1? https://www.cma.audio/en/categories/headphones/headphone-amps/niimbus-us4

After a lot of research and digging lately, I think if I do upgrade from P1 it would be the Xi Audio Formula S. To get that, you kind of have to get their Powerman power supply. This becomes a $5k + investment vs $1500 of P1. The difference definitely isn’t going to be $3500, but some say the Formula S is on par with Woo Audio WA33 and the Headstrip Reference amp, so I’m really intrigued.

P1 does something special with the Susvara that V281, Pro iCan and Gsx do not. For me, it’s the naturalness of the timbre and vocals. The sound stage and separation are also significantly better. The former is huge for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back