HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 15, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #19,021 of 25,885
Yeah, so it turns out that to properly break in a USB input, you need to plug and unplug the cable repeatedly. Doing this for 8 hours straight will assure full break-in. It doesn't have to be nonstop, but if you take a break, it shouldn't be for longer than 15 minutes, or else you have to start over with the 8 hours. Definitely a pain in the arse, but you'll thank me later, although your wrist probably won't!

That's pure gold :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 16, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #19,022 of 25,885
Hello, can someone please give me a hint where to buy the Susvara in Europe at the moment? I've heard that there are vendors with much cheaper prices than the recommended price. The cheapest standard online price I can see is hifihut at about 5800.

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #19,023 of 25,885
Hello, can someone please give me a hint where to buy the Susvara in Europe at the moment? I've heard that there are vendors with much cheaper prices than the recommended price. The cheapest standard online price I can see is hifihut at about 5800.
Discount pricing is not advertised. You will need to call or make contact directly with dealers to discuss any discounts.

I'm in the US so unfortunately I am not aware of dealers in the EU to point you towards, but I'm sure somebody will help you with that.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #19,024 of 25,885
Discount pricing is not advertised. You will need to call or make contact directly with dealers to discuss any discounts.

Agreed, best to take individual discounts to local dealers and see what they can/can't do :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 16, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #19,025 of 25,885
Thank you again! I'm looking into the gs-x mini intensively right now.
If you want a good starter amp look at Taurus Mk2 or even better imo Kinki thr1 or save your time like I did, buy a Flux Volot from out Ukrainian friends and quit the searching and sit back and enjoy these kaleidoscopes.

I'd also recommend my friend Marcos dac from M2tech Young Mkiv along with his VGmkii ps. Like a delineated world of musical mastery 🎶

Dec 16, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #19,026 of 25,885
If you want a good starter amp look at Taurus Mk2 or even better imo Kinki thr1 or save your time like I did, buy a Flux Volot from out Ukrainian friends and quit the searching and sit back and enjoy these kaleidoscopes.

I'd also recommend my friend Marcos dac from M2tech Young Mkiv along with his VGmkii ps. Like a delineated world of musical mastery 🎶
My exp with having owned the taurus was that though the susvaras is pleasant sounding through it, it was lacking power/control.
Sweet/soft sounding on the mids (in a nice way) but lacking in delivery on the lower parts of the freq spectrum

apart from the susvaras a very good amp that can be picked up for a great price nowadays on the second hand market

Dec 16, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #19,027 of 25,885
My exp with having owned the taurus was that though the susvaras is pleasant sounding through it, it was lacking power/control.
Sweet/soft sounding on the mids (in a nice way) but lacking in delivery on the lower parts of the freq spectrum

apart from the susvaras a very good amp that can be picked up for a great price nowadays on the second hand market
I had a different experience mainly I believe because of the dac I was using at the time Young mkiii, it and my newer Mkiv has variable voltage output 2.4 5,10v and I had the Taurus juiced with 10v lol It sang really nicely, best idea in the world for its longevity? Eh probably not lol

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #19,028 of 25,885
Happy holidays everyone. So I got the Envy a few days ago. Been tube rolling and messing around.

Running Elrog ER300b and switching to nice NOS driver tubes.

Man, the Susvara is amazing with this combo. My source is Dave + Farad3.

Finally found an amp that gives the Susvara adequate note weight. Basically takes the Susvara and cranks it up to 11. This is the best I have heard them so far. Much better than AHB2, rear TT2, Ferrum stack.

I ended up buying the Atriums to get that extra note weight and slam but they are starting to feel redundant with Susvara coupled with Envy.

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #19,029 of 25,885
Happy holidays everyone. So I got the Envy a few days ago. Been tube rolling and messing around.

Running Elrog ER300b and switching to nice NOS driver tubes.

Man, the Susvara is amazing with this combo. My source is Dave + Farad3.

Finally found an amp that gives the Susvara adequate note weight. Basically takes the Susvara and cranks it up to 11. This is the best I have heard them so far. Much better than AHB2, rear TT2, Ferrum stack.

I ended up buying the Atriums to get that extra note weight and slam but they are starting to feel redundant with Susvara coupled with Envy.
Did you initially like the Susvara with Ferrum or AHB2?

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #19,030 of 25,885
My Susvara just became a dynamic planar headphone today with my new R2R chain. The punch is soo addictive now!

The R8 and DI20 truly changed the identity compared to before. I have always missed the punch from a dynamic headphones, in my planars Arya and Susvara.

Completely stoked, to feel the Susvaras is soo energetic and alive!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #19,031 of 25,885
Coming back to this. I was able to listen with the Ferrum OOR, which obviously has enough power for Susvara (8w @60 ohm). I still maintain the other amps sound good (ie they are not clipping). That said, the OOR did have more slam, more bass and control. As well it should given how positive the reviews. So far it seems to be a function of enough power (with some headroom), and enough quality to produce good fidelity sound.

Im hoping to try the ZMF universe hybrid pads. I still have to tinker around with the Susvara stock pads. They seem more fiddly than the 1000se pads were.

The 1000 se actually has more slam in the bass, and there is more treble detail. I don't think the mid-range or layering is as good on the 1000se as Susvara.

Coming back to add. I found two things. The Ferrum was not broken in fully (board updated to 5.0). I also added a 24v 7A linear power supply which added lots more bass and slam. Power supply is a monster, 200VA transformer in it. So the bass is much improved on Susvara. The 1000se is different, but I do like Susvara better. Going to sell the 1000se. Still compiling notes as I listen, I would at this point revise and not make the claim the 1000se has more slam. They are very different sounding though, both good. I really like the detail yet natural timbre on the Susvara.

I also found something interesting. Hifiman has a note on the HE6 page, where they say 5 watts from ef6 ideally drives the 6, which is of similar efficiency. So to answer my own question... how much is enough? Probably about 5 watts. The other amps I tried were okay... with moderated volume. The headroom with the Oor is nice!

he6.png

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #19,032 of 25,885
So the bass is much improved on Susvara. The 1000se is different, but I do like Susvara better. Going to sell the 1000se. Still compiling notes as I listen, I would at this point revise and not make the claim the 1000se has more slam. They are very different sounding though, both good. I really like the detail yet natural timbre on the Susvara.
I agree.

Two great headphones.

WDW (when driven well) the susvaras are natural/transparent - imho exceptional in that regard and for my preferences.

Imho the se has a tight punchy bottom end - so I understand why you initially wrote “more slam”.

(I feel “Slam” is a word that is used very loosely or at least has a broad range of meanings to different people on headfi. Therefore i find it not to be a useful adjective on headfi so i try not to use it myself as it often is not useful in conveying a thought from me or to me - at least not for me. )

ps i never thought i’d sell mine. That changed when i bought the susvaras. I sold the hekse but kept the utopias (and susvara) as they had a more solid sound.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #19,033 of 25,885
I actually have a brand new sealed unopened susvara 3.5 newest version on way to me. I can sell to you at 4k usd flat and you pay shipping. Reason for sale... I got my eyes set on fleetwood deville speakers sq version (18k) and reason for speaker choice is that my headphone amp (riviera aic 10) can run this speaker fine according to amsterdam headphone auditions.

Anyone else seeing this post is welcome to take my offer as well. Item is brand new sealed unopened on way to me and I do have original receipt from authorized dealer so full warranty will be in tact. In the small chance they need original owner for any warranty purposes I can help aid that for as long as I am alive as I would also provide my personal cell to buyer.

Just awaiting shipment to arrive my hands. PM me if interested and will go down the list of PMs in order of PMs for the potential buyer.

Wait time rough ball park 3 weeks. A small deposit of maybe say $100 can show intent.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/susvara-brand-new-sealed-unopened-w-receipt.38124/

Listed here^^^

Note: Someone mentioned for me to return to dealer ... valid point except I changed my mind too many times on him already so rather take small loss myself.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #19,034 of 25,885
Quickly coming out of hiding to reiterate the following PSA: source matters far more than most realize. It is the foundation of your system. Don’t skimp! In most cases, an Apple MacMini (even an upgraded one) is not a source that can properly leverage the capabilities of Susvara. If you are spending 4K'ish on a pair of Susvaras and another 2k-20k for an amp to drive them, you owe it to yourself to invest in a proper source.

I've been using the EF1000 with the Susvaras for approx. 5 months now and I was just forcefully reminded of how detrimental a mediocre source can be to a high-end system.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #19,035 of 25,885
Quickly coming out of hiding to reiterate the following PSA: source matters far more than most realize. It is the foundation of your system. Don’t skimp! In most cases, an Apple MacMini (even an upgraded one) is not a source that can properly leverage the capabilities of Susvara. If you are spending 4K'ish on a pair of Susvaras and another 2k-20k for an amp to drive them, you owe it to yourself to invest in a proper source.

I've been using the EF1000 with the Susvaras for approx. 5 months now and I was just forcefully reminded of how detrimental a mediocre source can be to a high-end system.
I am currently using my analogue TT set-up the most with my EF1000 and Susvara vs my digital Chord Blu with M Scaler and DAVE. Audio Nirvana with my TT set-up.

kvjhymFlRXq%BarJr0jfFg.jpg

My Kuzma TOTL XL DC with Kuzma 4Point 11" and My Sonic Lab Eminent Ex analogue set-up

Fo2bWx88Rj6cWmsAoM8S4A.jpg

My CH Precision P1 Phono Stage using the MC1 current / trans-impedance input for my MSL Eminent Ex, and from my P1 to my EF1000 via single ended RCAs (which for some strange reason sound better than XLR balanced for the EF1000 - same also for my digital set-up).

I can confirm that yes, using the best input source possible pays dividends for the Susvara as it just keeps scaling upwards as you go up the quality source and amp chain !

I had a Rega P10 TT with Apheta 3 cartridge and Rega Aura Phono Stage set-up going to my EF1000 and Susvaras before I purchased the Kuzma & CH set-up.
Even though the Rega set-up was very good, the Kuzma & CH set-up is in another league regarding sound quality, musicality, etc. !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back