HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 10, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #18,991 of 26,674
I am neither of these types.

With over 40 years of hifi experience it's all about successful synergy, successful system matching and respectable quality source material to get to audio nirvana with an overall balance to the sound so that not one frequency dominates another but all work together cohesively.

Just think of some of the best racing cars, sport cars, professional racing bikes, professional bikes, professional sailing boats & motor boats etc etc. They all have one thing in common i.e. the are designed to work as a total sum of it's parts with the person who has the skill to use them effectively.

Electronics and in particular hifi systems are no different.
Source is definitely preference and synergy dependent. I’m intrigued by Lampizator owners for sure, it is just the Linn Organik owners I know and trust all told me it is perfect with X9000 so I pulled the trigger as I’m mainly looking to upgrade source exclusively for my electrostatic setup.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #18,992 of 26,674
I am neither of these types.

With over 40 years of hifi experience it's all about successful synergy, successful system matching and respectable quality source material to get to audio nirvana with an overall balance to the sound so that not one frequency dominates another but all work together cohesively.

Just think of some of the best racing cars, sport cars, professional racing bikes, professional bikes, professional sailing boats & motor boats etc etc. They all have one thing in common i.e. the are designed to work as a total sum of it's parts with the person who has the skill to use them effectively.

Electronics and in particular hifi systems are no different.
Yes, I know you are a special snowflake that cannot be categorized :)

Joking aside, what you describe (the importance of matching gear correctly, total sum of it's parts ) is the esens of what I mean by a type 2 audiophile. Of course, there are some differences within an general audiophile type, but I still believe that the different audiophile types value and hear what really matters for them quite differently. For the type 1 audiophile, it is the audio transducers (headphones/speakers) that you should invest in if you want the best sound. Type two focus more on making the audio system as a whole better, if you know what I mean.

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #18,993 of 26,674
Very well said, except that I am not so sure that Type 1 and 2 are always exclusive categories. Without having done any surveys, I am willing to bet that most audiophiles have belonged on *both sides* and not even necessarily at different times either, or perhaps they almost always find themselves positioned somewhere in-between. Personally, it is not even clear to me which side I am on... My wishful thinking side wants to believe that I am type 1, yet while I find my present amps/Dacs to be adequate-to excellent in performance, I am not able to audition nearly enough competing models in amps/Dacs in order to assure myself that I am getting the optimal best I can afford at this time, so does that make me a Type 2? I have no interest in making endless multiple experiments and ranking my equipment and SQs either. As I said, I would settle for the best sounding I can afford if I could audition all competing models within the reach of my budget before making my purchases. So if I appear to be more type 2 than type one, then I blame the present status quo which necessarily compels me to make purchases without allowing me to audition nearly enough models first.
I think that you can basically only belong to one audiophile type, then it can take time to gain insight into which type of audiophile you are.

I think life is easier for type two audiophiles because they can spend their time finding really good headphones and be satisfied. I would love to be one if I could.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #18,994 of 26,674
Yes, I know you are a special snowflake that cannot be categorized :)

Joking aside, what you describe (the importance of matching gear correctly, total sum of it's parts ) is the esens of what I mean by a type 2 audiophile. Of course, there are some differences within an general audiophile type, but I still believe that the different audiophile types value and hear what really matters for them quite differently. For the type 1 audiophile, it is the audio transducers (headphones/speakers) that you should invest in if you want the best sound. Type two focus more on making the audio system as a whole better, if you know what I mean.
Lol :beyersmile: :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #18,995 of 26,674
Still a quad of high quality KT150’s is still a LOT less than a quad of high quality 300B’s.

That's so very true :)

Mines Balanced, so takes quads, makes rolling an expensive endeavor.
I run KR 242’s and a KR RK5U4G special edition rectifier.
I tried a few rectifiers, and it’s my favorite 5U4G and not just in the Lampizator, it’s like a super RCA 5U4G.
I have quads of KR 242’s, PX25’s and T100’s (previous owner splurged on them), I spent a day rolling them, interestingly the Pacific sounds like the pacific with any of them. The 242’s are the most dynamic, the T100’s the softest, richest with the biggest stage, but to be honest I could live with any of them. The other Pacific owner I know well had a similar sets 242’s PX25’s and 300B’s, and used the PX25’s, which would have been a close second to the 242’s to me.

Although i.e. 274B are more useful for low-level signals, there's something special about 5U4G indeed. Rectifiers alone make a big difference and good 5U4G are nowehere near as expensive as great 300B :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 12, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #18,996 of 26,674
So I'm luckily borrowing a Susvara and He1000SE and i'm quite surprised. I'm finding some things I expected based on reading reviews and posts simply not to be so.

1. The Susvara aren't nearly as bad to drive as folks make them out to be. I'm not pushing 100db volume, but am listening at healthy levels to rock, pop, classical and other more demanding music. I've tried various amps Pathos Aurium ( volume @50% - with a external 100w linear power supply from China but upgraded w/ supertech slit foil caps and IXYS rectifier), Burson 160 (volume @40% pre production demo with some oddities / differences from production - no idea its actual power), Bryston BP-25 (volume @ 60% with the old PSR power supply but with MUR860 rectifiers) and even a Chord Mojo 2 (Volume @75%). They all sound different but none is running out of steam. The Chord comes close, though. And to be clear... I def do know what running out of steam and clipping is... I've tried (and failed) to run a 8 watt SET amp on somewhat inefficient speakers in a medium room...I thought maybe jazz, but alas no. Also, I should add that while I mention volume level above, thats more about gain than it is power... but again none are clipping and I do know what that sounds like. I will try to find a more powerful headphone amp to test with, just to compare and make sure i'm not missing something.

2. The Susvara is FAR better than the 1000SE, timbre, depth, imaging and even bass. Sadly, I don't agree with what some say that the 1000se is 90% or a baby Susvara. I actually found that while folks say the 1000se is easier to drive (obviously!), it's more picky with amps b/c any tiny bit of glare and it shows up. The 1000SE is still very good, to be clear, but its no Susvara. I make this point though, b/c some folks seem to say get the 1000SE and save money on amps. I'm finding so far that the Susvara has synergy with more amps. Even the inexpensive Chord Mojo 2, and the built in headphone out of the BP-25 sound great, and have adequate power. I think, at least right now I'd rather have the Susvara with a modestly priced amp than the 1000se with a fancy amp.

3. The pads needed some massaging to get the foam to lay flat within the fabric and leather. Sound was a lot better once fixed. Why are HifiMan ear pads and cables so bad? My old Ediiton X flaked apart... and I did not even bother using the stock cables on the 1000se or Susvara... the stock cables remind me of the air lines from when I had a fish tank. At least they don't stink like the tank did? Oh well, the headphones sound amazing and are very comfortable.

4. Folks may say its silly to compare the 1000SE to the Susvara... BUT while there is a large (MASSIVE) delta in MSRP, on the used market it seems like Susvara go for about ~3500 and the 1000SE for about 2200. Real. Serious. Money for both. Neither is a budget purchase, clearly.

I plan to do a review after I've spent some more time comparing, and will post that up. If anyone has recommendations or things I should pay attention to let me know!

Coming back to this. I was able to listen with the Ferrum OOR, which obviously has enough power for Susvara (8w @60 ohm). I still maintain the other amps sound good (ie they are not clipping). That said, the OOR did have more slam, more bass and control. As well it should given how positive the reviews. So far it seems to be a function of enough power (with some headroom), and enough quality to produce good fidelity sound.

Im hoping to try the ZMF universe hybrid pads. I still have to tinker around with the Susvara stock pads. They seem more fiddly than the 1000se pads were.

The 1000 se actually has more slam in the bass, and there is more treble detail. I don't think the mid-range or layering is as good on the 1000se as Susvara.

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #19,000 of 26,674
Totally Agree I do own and love both siblings.
Same here, but 1000SE are still excellent cans :wink:

I've only listened to the HE1000se for a few days and thought it was really good but couldn't replace my Susvara and I didn't see the point in owning both. I'm sure some will disagree on that and that's fine. Nothing against that headphone, for used pricing it's hard to beat.

Dec 13, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #19,001 of 26,674
Qutest + Anni. Another combo that brings out the potential on the Susvara. None of that plastic highs on the Susvara is showing and the blacks and the bass is fantastic. I like this more than the Hypsos + OOR.

IMG_20221213_141046.jpg

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #19,002 of 26,674
I've only listened to the HE1000se for a few days and thought it was really good but couldn't replace my Susvara and I didn't see the point in owning both. I'm sure some will disagree on that and that's fine. Nothing against that headphone, for used pricing it's hard to beat.
I understand but I would rather take my HE1000SEs with me than my Susvaras.

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #19,003 of 26,674
This will not be the case with higher end amps with the Sus in my experience
Which amp would you recommend I try beyond the Ferrum OOR? It was not with the Hypsos, so perhaps I will try with Hypsos. One thing that I should also add about bass is that the 1000se has modded pads, the Susvara is stock. May be a bit unfair to Susvara.

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #19,005 of 26,674
I have not on the go Blu but I did try a cold one on the gryphon vs a broken in ldac and ldac is like...4x better. I plan to get try the go Blu USB C portion next week but I'm quite familiar of the USB quality on ifi and most DACs that's it'll be a predictable outcome where ldac just impresses me through and through.
Did you try the USB C portion? Thinking of getting a portable dac/amp for my cellphone. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back