HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 25, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #1,861 of 25,688
JeffMann, having read your personal bias review, (which was quite impressive) I have to bow to your experience with live music. That's something I haven't experienced since my kids played in concert band in high school, and at that time I was too busy funding their private education to own any of the stereo equipment I now own. So at that time I wasn't listening to instruments and comparing them to a stereo system. And yes, you are correct, the HD-800 does have bass, but it isn't satisfactory to me. I listen to many different genres of music, but mostly urban gospel, R&B, and jazz. Most all music incorporates some type of bass instrument(s). For me, I like it visceral (a lot of the reason I fell in love with the HE-6) I could literally "feel" the vibration of some of the bass notes. If you feel your modded HD-800 is too bright and metallic sounding and that "sparkle" (as I call it) is what draws me to the HD-800, then I think our tastes are quite different. If you say the Susvara's bass is equivalent to the HD-800 then I know I would not be happy with that.

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #1,862 of 25,688
JeffMann, having read your personal bias review, (which was quite impressive) I have to bow to your experience with live music. That's something I haven't experienced since my kids played in concert band in high school, and at that time I was too busy funding their private education to own any of the stereo equipment I now own. So at that time I wasn't listening to instruments and comparing them to a stereo system. And yes, you are correct, the HD-800 does have bass, but it isn't satisfactory to me. I listen to many different genres of music, but mostly urban gospel, R&B, and jazz. Most all music incorporates some type of bass instrument(s). For me, I like it visceral (a lot of the reason I fell in love with the HE-6) I could literally "feel" the vibration of some of the bass notes. If you feel your modded HD-800 is too bright and metallic sounding and that "sparkle" (as I call it) is what draws me to the HD-800, then I think our tastes are quite different. If you say the Susvara's bass is equivalent to the HD-800 then I know I would not be happy with that.
I agree. HD800 series lack bass, HD800S have great tonal balance, with only bass being exception... Just seriously too weak by 3db atleast... If one owns somthing like V280, V281 or silghtly warm tube amp then its possible to strike perfect balance. On any amp it aint gonna work...

Nov 25, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #1,864 of 25,688
Wouldn't know how to EQ. I run my music files through Signalyst HQ Player which has many filters, but no EQ. Tried a while back EQing bass on JRiver Media Center but it sounded forced and bloomy. Besides, for me, HQ Player beats JRiver hands down BUT Omniweltall, if you've got secrets to share on EQing the HD-800 so that their bass is accurate, fully present and banging, I'm all ears. Just remember I love planar magnetic type bass. Can the HD-800 come close to or equal that?

Nov 25, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #1,865 of 25,688
I like the amount of bass on the Susvara. I had the iCan Pro for a little bit and it was fun playing around with the first bass bump setting, but I didn’t feel it was necessary. If the bass gets too strong on headphones my ears react weird and it messes with the air pressure equalization in my ears... lol

I have the same issue when bass isn’t well balanced with speakers and subwoofers.

What can you do...

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #1,866 of 25,688
I dont recommemd digital EQ unless they are able to use asio or wasapi. Otherwise they downgrade the SQ. Not worth it.

I use Loki for cheap and very effective solution. But for anyone using balanced connection, you may need to look at other brands.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #1,867 of 25,688
Susvara bass is absolutely fine as is. It is an engaging, detailed, transparent bass that is connected to the rest of the spectrum very well. And it can go deep with earth-shaking rumbling sometimes. It's just not an all-bass-all-the-time thing, which I think is a coloration.

But in my listening, I often say, wow, this is super-sounding bass, full of variation and speed.

It is absolutely NOT a bass-light sound at all.

Note: I owned the HD800 for a long time (years), 2 of them actually with several different cables and they were good but always sounded like the images were vaguely distant. Maybe this is what "good soundstaging" is, but I prefer a more upfront sound.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,868 of 25,688
Susvara bass is absolutely fine as is. It is an engaging, detailed, transparent bass that is connected to the rest of the spectrum very well. And it can go deep with earth-shaking rumbling sometimes. It's just not an all-bass-all-the-time thing, which I think is a coloration.

But in my listening, I often say, wow, this is super-sounding bass, full of variation and speed.

It is absolutely NOT a bass-light sound at all.

Note: I owned the HD800 for a long time (years), 2 of them actually with several different cables and they were good but always sounded like the images were vaguely distant. Maybe this is what "good soundstaging" is, but I prefer a more upfront sound.
Agreed, there is nothing light about the Susvara's bass. It can hit with authority, goes deep, it's fast, detailed and layered. If it's in the recording the Susvara's delivers it. I'm still amazed at this headphone

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #1,869 of 25,688
Here's a pleasant surprise....thx to some folks in the DX200 thread, it seems the iBasso DX200 DAP with its AMP8 module, can drive the Susvara to sufficient volumes with room to spare - especially in Pure Mango mode, where the volume is not (but close) to max. This is 4.4mm balanced out.

Of course one would expect differences with a hefty desktop amp or off my MC275 amp, however it means I could have the Susvara a little more portable around the house and still enjoy it.

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #1,870 of 25,688
Here's a pleasant surprise....thx to some folks in the DX200 thread, it seems the iBasso DX200 DAP with its AMP8 module, can drive the Susvara to sufficient volumes with room to spare - especially in Pure Mango mode, where the volume is not (but close) to max. This is 4.4mm balanced out.

Of course one would expect differences with a hefty desktop amp or off my MC275 amp, however it means I could have the Susvara a little more portable around the house and still enjoy it.
I wish I still had my DX200 to try it but I'm a little skeptical by this. Simply because the Susvara's absolutely loves power. I'm sure the DX200 can play music through the Susvara's but properly drive them is another story. If you're able to test the combo out I'd be more than interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #1,871 of 25,688
I wish I still had my DX200 to try it but I'm a little skeptical by this. Simply because the Susvara's absolutely loves power. I'm sure the DX200 can play music through the Susvara's but properly drive them is another story. If you're able to test the combo out I'd be more than interested to hear your thoughts on it.
If you've read my other posts in the Susvara thread, you may know that I've been recommending folks to get decent amps to drive the Susvara such as the Xi Audio Formula S, Oji Special BDI-DC24B-G, etc. (however I don't believe that one has to spend excessive amount of $$ for a headphone amp to drive the Susvara). I myself have been driving the Susvara with my McIntosh MC275 speaker amp for the past 15 months. I've had the DX200 for the past 20 months and the AMP8 module only recently and didn't even think of trying to drive the Susvara off a DAP until someone said they were driving the HE6 off the DX200. That's when I tried to drive the Susvara off the DX200/AMP8.

As per before, one would expect to hear differences between driving it off the DX200 vs the MC275 amp, however the DX200/AMP8 drives it well enough for enjoyment - more so than the ZDSE and WA8.

Not saying you should go out and buy the DX200 again but if you have the DX200/AMP8 laying around, give it a shot.

P.S. I also have the Sony NW-WM1Z, and it doesn't have to drive the Susvara.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #1,872 of 25,688
This DX200/Amp 8 combo sounds intriguing. I have places to listen in two areas of my home, but if I’m in the doghouse for the night, it might be nice to have the option to listen to the Susvara instead of the 820s in one of the other bedrooms...

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #1,873 of 25,688
I'm finally settled on Soundaware P1. It's significantly better than V281, GSx Mk2, Mcintosh MHA100. How natural and real music sounds through the Susvara when driven with the P1 is just on a different level. After returning my loaner, I couldn't listen to the Susvara with any other amps. Too bad they have no US distributor and most of the headfi community will never experience it. Luckily my parents are visiting China and is bringing a unit back for me. Now the wait...

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #1,874 of 25,688
I'm finally settled on Soundaware P1. It's significantly better than V281, GSx Mk2, Mcintosh MHA100. How natural and real music sounds through the Susvara when driven with the P1 is just on a different level. After returning my loaner, I couldn't listen to the Susvara with any other amps. Too bad they have no US distributor and most of the headfi community will never experience it. Luckily my parents are visiting China and is bringing a unit back for me. Now the wait...

You could've ordered it shipped from PenonAudio or Alibaba.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #1,875 of 25,688
If you've read my other posts in the Susvara thread, you may know that I've been recommending folks to get decent amps to drive the Susvara such as the Xi Audio Formula S, Oji Special BDI-DC24B-G, etc. (however I don't believe that one has to spend excessive amount of $$ for a headphone amp to drive the Susvara). I myself have been driving the Susvara with my McIntosh MC275 speaker amp for the past 15 months. I've had the DX200 for the past 20 months and the AMP8 module only recently and didn't even think of trying to drive the Susvara off a DAP until someone said they were driving the HE6 off the DX200. That's when I tried to drive the Susvara off the DX200/AMP8.

As per before, one would expect to hear differences between driving it off the DX200 vs the MC275 amp, however the DX200/AMP8 drives it well enough for enjoyment - more so than the ZDSE and WA8.

Not saying you should go out and buy the DX200 again but if you have the DX200/AMP8 laying around, give it a shot.

P.S. I also have the Sony NW-WM1Z, and it doesn't have to drive the Susvara.
I might have to pick up DX200 again. It was a great DAP. At the moment I don't have anything but my iPhone and DACPortable for portable listening. This combo works for some of my headphones but not the Susvara's. I do miss the convenience of an all in one solution. Based off your comments it seems to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back