HiFiMan Susvara
May 15, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #15,811 of 25,551
Headphones only, for music I like modern one like Billie Eilish so I would say everything from 2000+ and I like different genres. . There is no local brands present for high end HiFI so will order in Europe online stores. Having players Fiio m15 and m17 right now - preferring Tidal, Qobuz streaming, Apple music. From sound profile I like how sounds Arya - stage and details. Having also HD660s, Meze Empyrean, solaris 2020, se846 .
Used Linn Akurate DS or DSM (2018 Katalyst revision) including older Akurate upgraded to Katalyst - approx $4-5k
Ferrum amp with their separate power supply, or Headamp GSX-2 or Pass Labs - approx $3k-4k (Ferrum might be better from a service perspective)

Use the remaining funds to buy a dedicated network switch, cat 8 cables, linear power supplies for the switch and whatever else you need.

Your upgrade path for Linn would be in 2-3 years when they introduce the new Organik architecture to the Akurate line, which will require an entire rebuild of the machine for $2-3k (pure estimation based on current value of money), but you get a new 5yr warranty with the rebuild.

Good luck!

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #15,812 of 25,551
Thanks for feedback. Any advice on setup :) in 10k $ range?

This would heavily depend on your cans of choice. Susvara have far different needs than any HEKs and that already makes a difference big enough to take it into account. Can you audition these headphones somewhere by any chance, or will this be a purchase based on opinions here?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 17, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #15,813 of 25,551
Hi all,

i am interested in possibly getting a pair of susvara and i wanted to know if the new sony wm1zm2 would be a good source if i did a line out to an amp. I'm not concerned with portability for the susvara but i'm unsure if the sony dap would be a good source or would i need to look into higher quality dacs? i know the sony isn't sufficient to power the susvara so an amp is a must. also any suggestions in that regard?

thanks

May 17, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #15,814 of 25,551
Hi all,

i am interested in possibly getting a pair of susvara and i wanted to know if the new sony wm1zm2 would be a good source if i did a line out to an amp. I'm not concerned with portability for the susvara but i'm unsure if the sony dap would be a good source or would i need to look into higher quality dacs? i know the sony isn't sufficient to power the susvara so an amp is a must. also any suggestions in that regard?

thanks
No. Waste of money.

May 17, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #15,816 of 25,551
What would a good chain be to sufficiently experience the susvara?

thanks
A desktop chain, like the many that have been posted on this thread. Many people have praised the use of speaker amps, such as the AHB2, or desktop amps, like the OOR and 23R. DACs are a bit of a toss up, there are many to chose from. There is a search function on this thread (there are over 1000 pages of answers!), it would be best to search for previous answers instead of adding more of the same answers that have been posted again, and again, and again...

May 17, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #15,817 of 25,551
What would a good chain be to sufficiently experience the susvara?

thanks
Weiss 502, dCS Bartok, Linn Akurate, Meitner MA3, MSB Discrete or equivalent dac/streamer.

OOR stack, Headamp GSX2 or better amp. Use integrated or power amp if you can bear the risk of losing the cans.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #15,818 of 25,551
There are close to 15K posts here and many are related to what may work and may not work with the sus. You will find people with many sometimes opposing opinions that are happy with a variety of amps and DAC's.

You can do a forum search of more recent posts and see what people think of these various options. What is right for you may not be what I prefer. There are TONS of amp / Sus posts on this forum!

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #15,819 of 25,551
Hi all,

thanks
The Susvara will scale with what ever you have. They will also reveal all for better or worse.

May 17, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #15,820 of 25,551
Wondering if there is a Susvara alternative that has more energy in the upper mid range like the HD600. Looking for a Super HD600 ... thanks.

May 17, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #15,821 of 25,551
Wondering if there is a Susvara alternative that has more energy in the upper mid range like the HD600. Looking for a Super HD600 ... thanks.
Upper mid energy you say? Come over to the LCD-5 side!

May 17, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #15,822 of 25,551
I’ll let those who have heard it, as i haven’t, but could the zmf atrium fit the bill.

i used to own the auteur and felt that was an “uber hd600”. Very neutral but i would not have described it a lively hp. It was detailed but a but laid back and well balanced in that way.

the atrium may have a bit more energy

just an idea from my previous experience

also maybe the he1000v2

May 17, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #15,823 of 25,551
Stax headphones all have exceptional upper mids (my favourite is the 007mk1 which, unusually for estat, also has a good bass)

May 17, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #15,825 of 25,551
I’m with @chargedcapacitor.
LCD-5 plays nicely with my Sus and P.

Almost equal head time in the rotation with a bit more time to the LCD-5 although I like all 3.
What do you get from the Susvara that you don’t with the Sol P? Have you tried the ultra wide pads on the Sol P? Might have to get the LCD5 as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back