HiFiMan Susvara
May 17, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #15,826 of 25,646
Stax headphones all have exceptional upper mids (my favourite is the 007mk1 which, unusually for estat, also has a good bass)

Agree, based on the description and question, I'd definitely recommend stats (if feasible).

Sennheiser HE60 is the absolute reincarnation of the HD600, and a whole world better if you can find one. 009, CRBN or x9000 may be worth considering if not. 009 does a lot of what the Susvara does, just a bit more technically proficient in some areas and also more bright. I would probably start there if you can't find an HE60.

But then again, requires a new amp for most. So I know it may not be worth considering depending on your current system.

May 18, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #15,827 of 25,646
Wondering if there is a Susvara alternative that has more energy in the upper mid range like the HD600. Looking for a Super HD600 ... thanks.
I would also suggest the LCD-5

May 18, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #15,828 of 25,646
Wondering if there is a Susvara alternative that has more energy in the upper mid range like the HD600. Looking for a Super HD600 ... thanks.
Ppl suggesting the lcd5 is amping it wrong. It is more linear than the susvara on the upper mids. You can try getting cheap hfm cables to congest the upper mids of the Susvara and save some money.

May 18, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #15,829 of 25,646
What would a good chain be to sufficiently experience the susvara?

thanks
Chord Blu CD Transporter -----> Chord M Scaler ------> Chord DAVE ------> Hifiman EF 1000 ------> Hifiman Susvara

Chord equipment connected to each other with Wave Fidelity STORM BNC Interconnects.

The above headphone system equals Audio Nirvana !

THE END !

May 18, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #15,830 of 25,646
Cool. Thanks. I think the Empyrean doesnt have more energy in the upper mids but I remember the mids sounding very sweet. If I remember correctly I liked the mids more than the susvara. Are they good for mid range?

May 18, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #15,831 of 25,646
Cool. Thanks. I think the Empyrean doesnt have more energy in the upper mids but I remember the mids sounding very sweet. If I remember correctly I liked the mids more than the susvara. Are they good for mid range?
I always had to eq up about +3 to 6 db at about 1-1.5khz when i owned the empys

I have not heard the elite so that is another option

Imho though when you/I have the susvaras or another headphone with a very high level of detail it’s hard to be as enamoured with a headphone that falls short (like the empyreans. Bought them before I had the susvaras, then sold them to finance the susvaras, then bought them again because i thought i missed them and then sold them again as they just don’t compare - for my preferences

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #15,832 of 25,646
I always had to eq up about +3 to 6 db at about 1-1.5khz when i owned the empys

I have not heard the elite so that is another option

Imho though when you/I have the susvaras or another headphone with a very high level of detail it’s hard to be as enamoured with a headphone that falls short (like the empyreans. Bought them before I had the susvaras, then sold them to finance the susvaras, then bought them again because i thought i missed them and then sold them again as they just don’t compare - for my preferences
I agree. I tested the Elite at CanJam NYC recently, and they are noticeably not as well resolving. They are super comfortable though :wink:

May 18, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #15,834 of 25,646
What would a good chain be to sufficiently experience the susvara?

thanks
First of all, you need a powerful amp to drive Sus, the most difficult headphone to drive. Find a amp has more than 8W declared output power.

Tube amp need 300B amp or push pull by 2A3s. 845 is better.

Power amp is an easier way for Sus, you can try 47 labs or E380 E480 from Accuphse. A lot of headfier are using them for Sus.

I personal not a fan of power amp, they sound more sloppy than headphone amp.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #15,835 of 25,646
It’s not about volume, but about ease of driving

A car with a weak engine can still reach the speed limit same as a car with strong engine, it will just work harder and the drive won’t be as effortless. With music that means the headroom of a powerful amp provides great dynamic control (transients etc).

You might probably get the Susvara to required volume on a dragonfly dongle DAC. It just won’t sound great. A very powerful amp scales the Susvara and lets you enjoy its max qualities.
Ezxactlty. That is why I’m enjoy them with certain speaker amps that provide them with the energy they need to really sing

May 18, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #15,836 of 25,646
IMHO if you have a proper amp the susvara is far better than the lcd-5 in pretty much every way...just one mans opinion

May 18, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #15,838 of 25,646
Thank you all for the recommendations before. I was hoping to get your opinions about 2 questions:

First, would you spend more money on a dac or amp first in particular for the susvara?

And second, would a chrome book be sufficient to send the signal to a dac or should I go for a MacBook or maybe something dedicated for my source material. My music is almost all digital.

Thanks

May 18, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #15,839 of 25,646
Thank you all for the recommendations before. I was hoping to get your opinions about 2 questions:

First, would you spend more money on a dac or amp first in particular for the susvara?

And second, would a chrome book be sufficient to send the signal to a dac or should I go for a MacBook or maybe something dedicated for my source material. My music is almost all digital.

Thanks
Amp first, 100%. As far as everything else, you can ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. The best advice I can give you is to go to a shop and try it out for yourself, see what differences in chains matter most to you.

May 21, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #15,840 of 25,646
Yesterday at High End Munich I heard the Susvara with four different amps. First with the EF400, clearly not enough power, then EF 1000, a fantastic combination, shortly after that the Feliks Audio Envy. I have to say that I think the Envy Amp is extremely good and that the combination with the Susvara is perfect. Yes, I like the Envy better than the EF 1000 from Hifiman. I tested the Abyss PHI TC, Diana TC and the Elite with the Envy. Finally with the Bartok, but the Bartok lacks the power for the Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back