HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 10, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #1,547 of 25,599
For those who need a new DAC for Susvara, Pro iDSD is spectacular. I don't think many can say another DAC is much better than the Qutest. The Pro iDSD really is special. It adds a layer of dynamics that I didn't think Susvara has. Susvara can hit so hard with the Pro iDSD, it's quite a joy to listen to.

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #1,548 of 25,599
Actually I sold my SR-009 because I ended up reaching for the Utopia more often. Better treble response and less fatiguing.

To me, every non-electrostatic headphone's treble is one-note, lifeless, and really just complete trash compared to that of the SR-009, a similar jump to going from something low end and not respected to something really good. I do believe (recall that) electrostatic tech has some significant inherent benefits in upper frequency response, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #1,549 of 25,599
To me, every non-electrostatic headphone's treble is one-note, lifeless, and really just complete trash compared to that of the SR-009, a similar jump to going from something low end and not respected to something really good. I do believe (recall that) electrostatic tech has some significant inherent benefits in upper frequency response, but I'm no expert on the subject.

I certainly don't hear that with non-stats. I would have been tempted to jump on the SR_009S, but "less bass" than the SR-009 was a completely non-starter. Stats have a very fast treble response, but I preferred the SR-007 Mk1's treble to the 009s. That said, in the end I prefer orthos.

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #1,550 of 25,599

Treble quality and resolution is the main reason I'm loving 009 more than Utopia and LCD4. It is no contest! 009 bass is fine (great, even) to me w/ a KG amp. May not be LCD4 in quantity, but it surpasses LCD4 in quality.

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #1,551 of 25,599
For those who need a new DAC for Susvara, Pro iDSD is spectacular. I don't think many can say another DAC is much better than the Qutest. The Pro iDSD really is special. It adds a layer of dynamics that I didn't think Susvara has. Susvara can hit so hard with the Pro iDSD, it's quite a joy to listen to.
hello, how do you know that the Qutest is the best dac how many other dac's have you try, ....... and compared, .......

I have for the moment the T + A dac 8 and you can believe me that I made a lot of comparison, the T + A has 4 dac per channel, with a map much more elaborate than the Qutest, what do you think of Qutest's diet, ........ when you listen to chord, it's cold, no heat, there's no life in the music, even the chord TT was a failure, though 4500 €,
it's been a while since I'm waiting for the iDSD pro, and I can not get one ready,
if I will have to bet on a dac it would be rather the iDSD pro, by the technology used, like the USB output very elaborate, ........

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #1,552 of 25,599
hello, how do you know that the Qutest is the best dac how many other dac's have you try, ....... and compared, .......

I have for the moment the T + A dac 8 and you can believe me that I made a lot of comparison, the T + A has 4 dac per channel, with a map much more elaborate than the Qutest, what do you think of Qutest's diet, ........ when you listen to chord, it's cold, no heat, there's no life in the music, even the chord TT was a failure, though 4500 €,
it's been a while since I'm waiting for the iDSD pro, and I can not get one ready,
if I will have to bet on a dac it would be rather the iDSD pro, by the technology used, like the USB output very elaborate, ........

I'm definitely not some sort of authority on DACs. I wanted to find a good DAC to pair with MHA100 and Susvara. I happened to pick the Qutest and Pro iDSD due to good reviews and popularity. I always felt DACs made the least difference in my current audio chain where as a good amp and Susvara really dictated the overall sound. Pro iDSD is the first DAC that kind of wowed me and made me feel the the SQ made significant leap. I have also tried ifi Black Label, Gumby with Gen 5 USB and the first Hugo as DACs for MHA100 and Susvara.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #1,553 of 25,599
Sold my LCD-4 and utopia to fund the susvara to pair with my phi...I think I have finally found my perfect pairing...well I hope so!.....susvara does indeed need serious power but so does the Phi

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #1,554 of 25,599
Sold my LCD-4 and utopia to fund the susvara to pair with my phi...I think I have finally found my perfect pairing...well I hope so!.....susvara does indeed need serious power but so does the Phi

I could be interested in a similar pairing in the future … would you please elaborate on how these two TOTL headphones complement each other in your opinion?

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #1,555 of 25,599
I could be interested in a similar pairing in the future … would you please elaborate on how these two TOTL headphones complement each other in your opinion?
attention to the effects of fashion, many people dive with the susvara, it is easy to have a headphone to 6000 € and after, ..... that material to make it work, it is easy to say that a headphones do not work well, whether it's a lcd4 or a utopia, the headphone amps should not be the same, two resolutions totally different, .........

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #1,556 of 25,599
Actually I sold my SR-009 because I ended up reaching for the Utopia more often. Better treble response and less fatiguing.

The Utopia out of a decent tube is as very nice indeed. And it is easy to drive. I heard it on the Felix 1.3K tube amp, so a good combination I think there. The big downer on the Utopia is the soundstage, seems it's small and refuses to go larger. That and the harsh warranty policy (no transfers).

On the 009, agree with Ramnetin, the transparency of the 009 is unmatched, but as I found that becomes a problem long term. Also I was not convinced the treble and the 'plankton' going on was planted with the rest of the music, almost as if I had two ears, and the micro stuff was thrown forward too much. I tamed it a bit with my the DAC but it didn't convince me. Long term ownership of the 009 is the acid test, and how much it gets used. I found I used it less and less. But obviously that is a personal thing and to my ears. YMMV etc.

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #1,557 of 25,599
Treble quality and resolution is the main reason I'm loving 009 more than Utopia and LCD4. It is no contest! 009 bass is fine (great, even) to me w/ a KG amp. May not be LCD4 in quantity, but it surpasses LCD4 in quality.
hello, the lcd4 can not be worse than the 009, or the 009 less good than the lcd4, these are two helmets totally opposite, ........
practically all helmet owners had a stax set, personally I had the 507 headphones and the stax headphone amp limited with two ecc99 tubes, with the stax set I never could listen to a full opera. ..... with stax one does not listen to an artistic work but a technology,

that the lcd4 do not like, quite agree, ..... my reproach on stax, it is not the helmets that are involved, but the amps, not powerful enough, ....... and the fact that it lacks power low frequencies do not stand out, all stax helmets are good, we can not say as much for their amps,

and then that I have already recalled, each headphone should have its dedicated amp, to operate my lcd4, or my focal elear Ii i have the pro and a dac that comes out 2.5 volts asymmetric,
I can not wait to get the iDSD Pro for comparison,

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #1,558 of 25,599

I've just been listening with the Susvaras from the Audiovalve Solaris using the Pro iDSD as the source. It's a great combination.

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #1,560 of 25,599
hello, the lcd4 can not be worse than the 009, or the 009 less good than the lcd4, these are two helmets totally opposite, ........
practically all helmet owners had a stax set, personally I had the 507 headphones and the stax headphone amp limited with two ecc99 tubes, with the stax set I never could listen to a full opera. ..... with stax one does not listen to an artistic work but a technology,

that the lcd4 do not like, quite agree, ..... my reproach on stax, it is not the helmets that are involved, but the amps, not powerful enough, ....... and the fact that it lacks power low frequencies do not stand out, all stax helmets are good, we can not say as much for their amps,

Actually, the Stax tube amps (T1.006, 600LE and 007) have potentially as much voltage swing and power as their solid state amps - they are held back by their output stages, which still use plate resistor loads. Simply replacing those with good constant current sources, such as their solid state amps use, would raise their voltage output to equal their solid state equivalents, and significantly increase their effective power output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back