Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Aug 28, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #3,586 of 4,255
Alright, I just ordered a pair of these babies (2021 edition) after reading this thread, excited to give them a listen. I’ve been looking for a new set of planars to try. Kinda wanted a closed back, had been thinking about pulling the trigger on DCA A2C Noir’s, but ultimately decided to try these out first.

Aug 29, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #3,587 of 4,255
Aug 29, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #3,588 of 4,255
I have had the sundara for about a year, if I listen to it directly from my DAP ibasso dx220 it sounds good enough, if I connect it to my topping A90 and dac gustard x16 the listening is tiring and not pleasant, maybe for the sundara you need an amp that goes good at low impedance?
The Topping a90 (I used to own one) may be really too neutral-cold/sterile to go with a really neutral-revealing DAC (the x-16), driving a neutral-bright HP like the Sundara. IMO, and amp like the Gustard H16 may give a better result (a less bright, more balanced SQ). Gustard amps are generally neutral-warm (still revealing) but not annoyingly bright or brittle, IMO (I own an H20, driving HFM Ananda & Arya).

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #3,590 of 4,255
2.6W isn't powerful enough??? Back in 2015, the Asgard only could output 1W per channel and it was considered able to drive the HE400 just fine, and the HE400 is slightly less efficient than the Sundara. Don't believe it. However, I did find that when I switched on the subbass EQ, the Mjolnir with its 4W per channel provided nice additional headroom. On my Drop THX AAA 789, in balanced mode, I haven't yet maxed it out it on high gain. 6W into each channel would be fun for short spurts of rumbling subbass, like when watching a movie, but dangerous for music listening.

Aug 30, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #3,591 of 4,255
2.6W isn't powerful enough??? Back in 2015, the Asgard only could output 1W per channel and it was considered able to drive the HE400 just fine, and the HE400 is slightly less efficient than the Sundara. Don't believe it. However, I did find that when I switched on the subbass EQ, the Mjolnir with its 4W per channel provided nice additional headroom. On my Drop THX AAA 789, in balanced mode, I haven't yet maxed it out it on high gain. 6W into each channel would be fun for short spurts of rumbling subbass, like when watching a movie, but dangerous for music listening.
I guess I've been reading too many comments from people with $1000+ worth of gear. Thanks for your reply, currently looking to upgrade from my 5 year old pair of HD 598s.

Aug 31, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #3,593 of 4,255
I wasn't sure where to ask... I have the Magni Heresy / Modi stack and was told this amp wouldn't be powerful enough for Sundara. Is this true?
Um, nope. They’re perfectly fine.

Aug 31, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #3,594 of 4,255
I guess I've been reading too many comments from people with $1000+ worth of gear. Thanks for your reply, currently looking to upgrade from my 5 year old pair of HD 598s.
Fyi, you’ll never find another headphone that comfortable…

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #3,595 of 4,255
The Topping a90 (I used to own one) may be really too neutral-cold/sterile to go with a really neutral-revealing DAC (the x-16), driving a neutral-bright HP like the Sundara. IMO, and amp like the Gustard H16 may give a better result (a less bright, more balanced SQ). Gustard amps are generally neutral-warm (still revealing) but not annoyingly bright or brittle, IMO (I own an H20, driving HFM Ananda & Arya).
Do you strongly recommend the H20 for the Ananda's? I'm looking to replace my xDSD with something new as I have a pair of Ananda's and Aeolus' en route.

Aug 31, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #3,598 of 4,255
Do you strongly recommend the H20 for the Ananda's? I'm looking to replace my xDSD with something new as I have a pair of Ananda's and Aeolus' en route.
I've had a good experience with the H20. I did change out the stock opamps to Sparkos Labs SS3602 discrete opamps though (one of the reasons that I picked the H20). Either the H20 or the H16 seem to be good matches with HFM's neutral-bright sound signature. The amps are revealing yet not annoyingly bright (though I've never heard the H16 in person). I'd proudly own either of them. Keep in mind class A amps take a while to sound their best from when their first turned on (30-45 mins for my H20).

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #3,600 of 4,255
Do you think the Pioneer u-05 can drive these?
I don’t have any experience with that Pioneer, and a quick search yielded no amplifier specs, so hard to say.
I just got a pair of Sundaras last week and they seem pretty easy to drive. Still breaking them in on a Gilmore lite which seems to have plenty of power at 1.5 watts max. I plugged them in to my iPad last night and that even sounded good. That cord is horrible though. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back