Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Sep 15, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #3,616 of 4,250
Yes, few weeks ago. If i remember correctly it took less than a month.
Unfortunately I haven't got much time to test it but for the few hours I tried it it worked really well. The cable itself is very soft (not like the default cable) and the sound is good, I didn't hear any difference between the two cables. The only difference is that with the stock cable I keep the volume knob on the A90 (SE) more higher than with the openheart cable (which is 4.4).
I'll test it more in the future but for now I'm very happy with it, i would reccomend it
Thanks for the reply, i am buying those. With 4.4mm balanced too =) hope that my unit arrive without any problem.

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #3,618 of 4,250
Hi guys, is this the correct cable connection for 4.4mm balanced on sundara rev. 2020? Please refer to the red lines on the picture below.

4.4bal sundara cable.jpg

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,620 of 4,250
Lovely headphone. Before arriving I already had a new cable for it and the Oratory1990 EQ settings ready. Stock is a little bright in some frequencies for me, the EQ fixed that and improved sub bass a lot. I have long hair and use glasses so I need to boost the bass to compensate the lack of seal.

The headphone feels neutral and realistic, a very 'honest' frequency response. I can't hear flaws; sub-bass is very adequate with EQ and the other frequencies are tamed as well. It can get exciting or gentle depending on the song. Maybe I miss some of the intimacy in the vocals (compared to Sennheiser) but for live recordings and orquestras it sounds much better.

Comfort for me was bad, I have a lot of hair, glasses and my skull is not small so I suffered with clamping. I already extended the metal part like with Sennheiser and it improved the comfort. Yesterday was painful to use the headphone sometimes, it hurt my ears and compressed my head. The second day is much better but maybe I'll buy a new pad to improve the comfort.

I hope the headphone doesn't explode, I bought it used so I assume it's not a faulty driver, but every time the driver rumbles with bass I fear those tiny little connection will fall from the solder

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_160316.jpg
    IMG_20210920_160316.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210920_164704.jpg
    IMG_20210920_164704.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 0
  • InkedInkedIMG_20210920_16003a1_LI.jpg
    InkedInkedIMG_20210920_16003a1_LI.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #3,621 of 4,250
Lovely headphone. Before arriving I already had a new cable for it and the Oratory1990 EQ settings ready. Stock is a little bright in some frequencies for me, the EQ fixed that and improved sub bass a lot. I have long hair and use glasses so I need to boost the bass to compensate the lack of seal.

The headphone feels neutral and realistic, a very 'honest' frequency response. I can't hear flaws; sub-bass is very adequate with EQ and the other frequencies are tamed as well. It can get exciting or gentle depending on the song. Maybe I miss some of the intimacy in the vocals (compared to Sennheiser) but for live recordings and orquestras it sounds much better.

Comfort for me was bad, I have a lot of hair, glasses and my skull is not small so I suffered with clamping. I already extended the metal part like with Sennheiser and it improved the comfort. Yesterday was painful to use the headphone sometimes, it hurt my ears and compressed my head. The second day is much better but maybe I'll buy a new pad to improve the comfort.

I hope the headphone doesn't explode, I bought it used so I assume it's not a faulty driver, but every time the driver rumbles with bass I fear those tiny little connection will fall from the solder
hi, can you please guide me how to set the Oratory1990 settings? have downloaded the PDF files but got no clue on the settings

Attachments

• Hifiman Sundara (2020 revised earpads).pdf
    422.7 KB · Views: 0
Sep 22, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #3,622 of 4,250
hi, can you please guide me how to set the Oratory1990 settings? have downloaded the PDF files but got no clue on the settings

First step would be to install Equalizer APO + Peague GUI. After that you just set the values like in the PDF, need to pay attention to use the right filter, Q-gain etc. If you need any help send me a message and I'll be glad to help.

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #3,624 of 4,250
Oct 1, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #3,625 of 4,250
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #3,626 of 4,250
Ok, I'll present one easy counter-point to your Sundara & ATH-R70X comparison @RikudouGoku: listen to Daft Punk's Alive 2007 recording. The Sundara sans EQ is very detailed and lively, with lesser bass as you've noted, but there is a very clear difference in imaging between it and the R70X.

The Sundara will make you feel like you're looped into the output mix running to the speakers, with a recessed live mic picking up the crowd and bass rumble of the speakers being mixed in. The ATH-R70X positions you at the concert in a box seat, with the crowd largely in front of you, and the recording presenting as a series of live mics taking in the performance.

The imaging of the R70X is very, very good for the price, though the pads do need to settle a little bit out of the box. The Sundara is more diffuse in this respect, but it is a lovely ethereal experience that works in most cases, though it becomes more diffuse as the music becomes more complex. It's possible that they may be able to improve the magnet array in the next release to address this, but it may lead to too sharp a tonality. The DEVA Pro shapes as an interesting upcoming prospect.

But yes, once you step away from imaging, soundstage and timbre, the Sundara is largely a superior headphone. Both are in my collection, and both will stay there along with the 6XX until headphone technology takes a fairly big leap.

Oct 1, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #3,627 of 4,250
thinking of buying some Ori pads for my Sundara that have rings fitted suitable for He400i, does anyone happen to know if the He400i rings (4 tabs, like Sundara) are/will be the same size?

Oct 2, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #3,628 of 4,250
Have been looking at these for an while.They got fantastic reviews,and most people seems happy with them.They also have an great price compared to some other high end stuff.So i finally ordered them yesterday.It is the 2021 version.My only worry is the quality issues with these.Have hifiman gotten better at quality controll since they where realesed?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #3,629 of 4,250
Have been looking at these for an while.They got fantastic reviews,and most people seems happy with them.They also have an great price compared to some other high end stuff.So i finally ordered them yesterday.It is the 2021 version.My only worry is the quality issues with these.Have hifiman gotten better at quality controll since they where realesed?
I bought these just a wee while ago. First thing I did was head over to audiocheck and test out tones. At first I thought all was good as there was no 'rattle' but while listening to one track I found a slight 'rattle' at a very specific bass tone (can't remember which frequency now). I had read online that bass rattle can be fixed, sometimes, by either tightening or loosening the screws under the pads. I spent a while adjusting the screws and boom! rattle gone. So yeah, do test using that site it's very handy.

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #3,630 of 4,250
I bought these just a wee while ago. First thing I did was head over to audiocheck and test out tones. At first I thought all was good as there was no 'rattle' but while listening to one track I found a slight 'rattle' at a very specific bass tone (can't remember which frequency now). I had read online that bass rattle can be fixed, sometimes, by either tightening or loosening the screws under the pads. I spent a while adjusting the screws and boom! rattle gone. So yeah, do test using that site it's very handy.
Tnx for the tip.Going to check that.I ordered the 2021 version.In norway we have 2 to 5 years warranty when buing in store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back