Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #3,601 of 4,255
20210907_131124.jpg

20210907_131521.jpg

20210907_132027.jpg

20210907_132053.jpg

(2020 version)

Cable measures at 0.43 ohms.

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #3,602 of 4,255
I don’t have any experience with that Pioneer, and a quick search yielded no amplifier specs, so hard to say.
I just got a pair of Sundaras last week and they seem pretty easy to drive. Still breaking them in on a Gilmore lite which seems to have plenty of power at 1.5 watts max. I plugged them in to my iPad last night and that even sounded good. That cord is horrible though. :thumbsdown:
edit: i like them :)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #3,603 of 4,255
hi guys, i own a pair of sundara 2020 rev. and decided to get a 4.4mm balanced custom cable. i am in indonesia btw.
ordered online with local handmade cable seller, told me that the cable is combined from siltech 7xx series and chrord clearway. Which he sold more than 20 sets up until now. ("and sounds great") at least thats what he said

so i gave it a try and found something bizzare. when the plug to the headset is all the way in (which you can fell/hear a click sound) the headset id "dead" didnt produce anysound. but when i pull it a bit (just before the click) it works!!

at first we tought it was the 3.5mm plug's problem (which connected to the headphone). it was bigger than the original plug, the click is much louder and a bit hard to get it in.
so we change the plug to another plug (which is smaller, but still a bit bigger than the original one) the problem still there! it just wont fires up when the plug goes all in. but when i pull it out from the click and keep it hanging around that area. the headphone is working!

i decided to just refund the cable. but the seller wanted to try another method which is : i'm quoting as what he said because i dont have a clue
" we will switch the minus terminal straight to ground, we wont be using the minus terminal"
" the new revised amanda is also like that"

is that even safe for my headset?should i just refund him and have nothing to do with that seller anymore?
on the otherside, i'd really want to try the balanced 4.4mm since i have xduoo xd-05 balanced

thanks in advance for your time and reply

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #3,604 of 4,255
hi guys, i own a pair of sundara 2020 rev. and decided to get a 4.4mm balanced custom cable. i am in indonesia btw.
ordered online with local handmade cable seller, told me that the cable is combined from siltech 7xx series and chrord clearway. Which he sold more than 20 sets up until now. ("and sounds great") at least thats what he said

so i gave it a try and found something bizzare. when the plug to the headset is all the way in (which you can fell/hear a click sound) the headset id "dead" didnt produce anysound. but when i pull it a bit (just before the click) it works!!

at first we tought it was the 3.5mm plug's problem (which connected to the headphone). it was bigger than the original plug, the click is much louder and a bit hard to get it in.
so we change the plug to another plug (which is smaller, but still a bit bigger than the original one) the problem still there! it just wont fires up when the plug goes all in. but when i pull it out from the click and keep it hanging around that area. the headphone is working!

i decided to just refund the cable. but the seller wanted to try another method which is : i'm quoting as what he said because i dont have a clue
" we will switch the minus terminal straight to ground, we wont be using the minus terminal"
" the new revised amanda is also like that"

is that even safe for my headset?should i just refund him and have nothing to do with that seller anymore?
on the otherside, i'd really want to try the balanced 4.4mm since i have xduoo xd-05 balanced

thanks in advance for your time and reply
Assuming your original cable works fine?

EDIT: Just remembered that Hart Audio Cables here in the States puts diagrams on their site. Though this diagramme is for 2.5mm TS plugs, same for Sundara, just 3.5. Hope this helps. And I lived in Jakarta as a young child. Beautiful country you have there!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #3,605 of 4,255
Assuming your original cable works fine?

EDIT: Just remembered that Hart Audio Cables here in the States puts diagrams on their site. Though this diagramme is for 2.5mm TS plugs, same for Sundara, just 3.5. Hope this helps. And I lived in Jakarta as a young child. Beautiful country you have there!
Thx for the reply @JamminVMI
Yes,the original cable works perfectly since arrived. Thx for the info, will have a look at those... =)

Edit : i'm in North Sumatra, if u miss Indonesia, some artis made a video called "Wonderland Indonesia" it's a big hit over here. Search it on YouTube. =D

I have take a look into the hart audio cable website, is that the diagram you are referring to? I think it is a diagram for the cable lenght. Not electrical. But thx again for the reply.

Attachments

• SplitStddifference_5959b989-f76e-4aaa-9c11-e02ce3636998_1512x.jpg
    SplitStddifference_5959b989-f76e-4aaa-9c11-e02ce3636998_1512x.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #3,606 of 4,255
Thx for the reply @JamminVMI
Yes,the original cable works perfectly since arrived. Thx for the info, will have a look at those... =)

Edit : i'm in North Sumatra, if u miss Indonesia, some artis made a video called "Wonderland Indonesia" it's a big hit over here. Search it on YouTube. =D

I have take a look into the hart audio cable website, is that the diagram you are referring to? I think it is a diagram for the cable lenght. Not electrical. But thx again for the reply.
Hang on ine for the diagramme i was talking about. And for the video suggestion, tere makasi!

sundara are mono each side, so only TS are used (sounds like your guy might have wired TR…)

1631504647236.png

Sep 13, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #3,607 of 4,255
Hang on ine for the diagramme i was talking about. And for the video suggestion, tere makasi!

sundara are mono each side, so only TS are used (sounds like your guy might have wired TR…)

1631504647236.png

WOW! thanks mate!! i will show him this diagram and ask if he can do this, i will be using 4.4 balance
so i show picture one (the one you gave me) and the picture below to him, and i guess he will understand.

sundara monoRL 4.4.png

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #3,608 of 4,255
WOW! thanks mate!! i will show him this diagram and ask if he can do this, i will be using 4.4 balance
so i show picture one (the one you gave me) and the picture below to him, and i guess he will understand.

sundara monoRL 4.4.png
You are most welcome! And, for the record, I love the headphone cables from Hart Audio and their unique system that saves me money… No affiliation, just figured I’d plug them since I borrowed a graphic. They are nice folks.

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #3,609 of 4,255
You are most welcome! And, for the record, I love the headphone cables from Hart Audio and their unique system that saves me money… No affiliation, just figured I’d plug them since I borrowed a graphic. They are nice folks.
I would just buy from them if i am in US, the shipping and customs are just not worth it. Its hard to find a honest good custom cable guy here... =(

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #3,610 of 4,255
I would just buy from them if i am in US, the shipping and customs are just not worth it. Its hard to find a honest good custom cable guy here... =(
Fair. Sad, but fair…

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #3,612 of 4,255
I'm listening right now my Sundara (2020 version) with the Topping A90 set in high gain and it is phenomenal, heavenly good (in single ended with original cable).
So the A90 is more than enough for the Sundara in my opinion.

I've just bought btw a balanced cable for them from aliexpress (very cheap one), the Openheart cable ( https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005001642424244.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.24be6310A3aM8c&algo_pvid=8e483ff5-1ba9-4d71-af0c-527f3d99e420&algo_exp_id=8e483ff5-1ba9-4d71-af0c-527f3d99e420-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000016947595447"} ).
Anyone tried it? Opinion? I bought the 4.4 version for my A90, hope the extra balanced juice improve even more the quality
hi there, just wanna ask you about the openheart cable that u bought. is it arrived yet? how does it sound? would you recommend it?

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,613 of 4,255
hi there, just wanna ask you about the openheart cable that u bought. is it arrived yet? how does it sound? would you recommend it?
Yes, few weeks ago. If i remember correctly it took less than a month.
Unfortunately I haven't got much time to test it but for the few hours I tried it it worked really well. The cable itself is very soft (not like the default cable) and the sound is good, I didn't hear any difference between the two cables. The only difference is that with the stock cable I keep the volume knob on the A90 (SE) more higher than with the openheart cable (which is 4.4).
I'll test it more in the future but for now I'm very happy with it, i would reccomend it

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #3,615 of 4,255
Here's a random one. If you were using a headphone stand, would you hang these by the headband or the suspension strap?
I am hanging it by the metal suspension strap, it is easier to hang by the band, but given the availability of the band in market (any one know where buy them incase the band is broken?) i would just hang by the metal suspension strap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back