Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jul 24, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #3,556 of 4,255
In my experience, undoubtedly. I find that the Schiit standalone DACs also outperform the add-in cards for their larger amps. The added benny is that when your gear changes (mine did), you have multiple digital inputs, not just USB. And Modi 3+ also has Unison, a cleaner version of USB input.
Oh okay. I am looking at the Earmen Donald dac or ifi zen can even though the latter is more expensive and Schiit modi 3+ has been out of stock for a long time. But my concern is since I already have Q3 which is like multi purpose one if I buy a desktop dac but don't see much of a difference between the two then it could be waste of investment.

Jul 25, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #3,557 of 4,255
Finally figured out which pads I have been running with "Soondys"...

Brainwavz 110mm microsuede (not angled) are the pads I found improved Sundara over stock.

They should not be too pricey...they are a bit bigger than the cups though.
Took away that 'tizz' upper-end roughness....richer fuller on the other end...mids to subs...bit darker now like OG LCD-X
I think you can order the cup attachment discs from aliX cheap and glue them on the pads.
s-l1600.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 7.53.54 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #3,558 of 4,255
....and the winner is....
-IMO on comfort anyway-.....
Sundara.
IMG_20210704_194202.jpg

Jul 26, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #3,559 of 4,255
I have a pair of Dekoni sheepskin pads on the way. I’m very happy with the way the Sundara sound now (mine are the 2020 stealth revision and do not exhibit that upper midrange glare - that would kill me), but I am hoping that the solid sheepskin pads will bring out the bass a bit more. Otherwise these may have go back like the Anandas before them for lack of foundation. I need Audeze slam below 100hz, and Hifiman transparency above. Maybe a pair of Focal Clears….?

Update: The Dekoni sheepskin pads are a definite upgrade over stock, especially in terms of bass slam and overall clarity (without adding any brightness - which is something my 2021 pair never suffered in the first place, to my ears). I’m very happy with the investment, although I will say that the Hifiman method of attaching the pads leaves much to be desired. I’d much prefer a positive click a la Sennheiser or Focal or, better still, just fix them with double sided tape rings a la Audeze.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #3,560 of 4,255
Ordered the Sundara yesterday and just received it today (Amazon Prime 1 day delivery is freaking awesome). When I listened to it for the first time, I was blown away by the sound. I have had Hifiman headphones before (HE400S and HE1000 V.1) which I like and this Sundara completely destroyed the HE400S. HE1000 still beats the Sundara on sound, but from weight reduction, build quality and price difference stand point, the Sundara is better (using a $3k headphone can be quite stressful - fear of something will break is real). I auditioned my friend's Audeze LCD-2 on Saturday and when I listened to Sundara, the first thing came to my mind was how similar they sound. Love the detailed, smooth and airy treble, bass is really fast and have heft to it, mid is very detailed and smooth also.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #3,561 of 4,255
Ordered the Sundara yesterday and just received it today (Amazon Prime 1 day delivery is freaking awesome). When I listened to it for the first time, I was blown away by the sound. I have had Hifiman headphones before (HE400S and HE1000 V.1) which I like and this Sundara completely destroyed the HE400S. HE1000 still beats the Sundara on sound, but from weight reduction, build quality and price difference stand point, the Sundara is better (using a $3k headphone can be quite stressful - fear of something will break is real). I auditioned my friend's Audeze LCD-2 on Saturday and when I listened to Sundara, the first thing came to my mind was how similar they sound. Love the detailed, smooth and airy treble, bass is really fast and have heft to it, mid is very detailed and smooth also.
Yes,that fear factor with 3k cans... have owned the HE-1000SE and while it does have summit-fi aspects, if you buy them used you have no warranty I think, as unlike Audeze you cannot transfer warranty....
I think a 3-year warranty that is transferable is the bare minimum for 2k and up.

I wish they had reduced the size of HEKse, 20% or something...they are ridiculously huge, (though so are all the technical aspects in a good way.)
HE-6, HE-500, HEKse, Sundara 2020..best of the HFM line IMO...would love to test Susvara just once to hear the absolute top-tier technically.

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #3,562 of 4,255
Hi all,

I have a balanced cable from Hifiman (https://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/180) for Sundara HP. This is supposed to be a balanced cable with 3.5mm TRRS ended plug (amp side). It works fine with most amps and didn't face any issue. Compared to stock cable, it sounds clearer, wider with marginally higher vol gain..

Planning to use this with a Schiit Asgard 3. However, Schiit website mentions not using TRRS plugs and they sell an adapter for TRRS plugs. https://www.schiit.com/trrs
Wondering if i can use the balanced cable with Asgard?

Also iv been using the TRRS cable with TRS 6.5mm adapter on the marantz pm5005 HP out at the moment. No SQ or gain related troubles so far, enough gain without distortion. But wondering if this is bad for the amp, as in will it cause grounding, shorting issues?

Appreciate any insights!

Tx

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #3,563 of 4,255
Hi all,

I have a balanced cable from Hifiman (https://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/180) for Sundara HP. This is supposed to be a balanced cable with 3.5mm TRRS ended plug (amp side). It works fine with most amps and didn't face any issue. Compared to stock cable, it sounds clearer, wider with marginally higher vol gain..

Planning to use this with a Schiit Asgard 3. However, Schiit website mentions not using TRRS plugs and they sell an adapter for TRRS plugs. https://www.schiit.com/trrs
Wondering if i can use the balanced cable with Asgard?

Also iv been using the TRRS cable with TRS 6.5mm adapter on the marantz pm5005 HP out at the moment. No SQ or gain related troubles so far, enough gain without distortion. But wondering if this is bad for the amp, as in will it cause grounding, shorting issues?

Appreciate any insights!

Tx
You can step down TRRS to TRS no issues (on the cable side chain going INTO amp).
It is when you go the other direction that it can fry gear.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #3,564 of 4,255
Earmen Donald DAC - temptation got the better of me and it sounds good and clean!

I have been debating, researching on whether I should be satisfied with a portable Fiio Q3 or invest in a dedicated desktop DAC and complete the setup with the Schiit Magni Hersey amp that I had already to power the Hifiman Sundara. And temptation won in the end and I ordered the Earmen Donald DAC because it was one of the few really budget friendly option available to complete this desktop set up and it got delivered yesterday. I also had some reward points available from previous purchases which got me some discount. It is really small for a desktop DAC and has only usb c input which is fine for my use case and it has separate usb c power input which is a plus. Based on my couple of hours of listen, it packs a punch and sounds good and clean.

Attachments

• Donald Dac.jpg
    Donald Dac.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 30, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #3,565 of 4,255
Earmen Donald DAC - temptation got the better of me and it sounds good and clean!

I have been debating, researching on whether I should be satisfied with a portable Fiio Q3 or invest in a dedicated desktop DAC and complete the setup with the Schiit Magni Hersey amp that I had already to power the Hifiman Sundara. And temptation won in the end and I ordered the Earmen Donald DAC because it was one of the few really budget friendly option available to complete this desktop set up and it got delivered yesterday. I also had some reward points available from previous purchases which got me some discount. It is really small for a desktop DAC and has only usb c input which is fine for my use case and it has separate usb c power input which is a plus. Based on my couple of hours of listen, it packs a punch and sounds good and clean.
One of the really great things about Sundara is how well it scales with better equipment. Very special set of cans, especially considering the asking price.

Aug 1, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #3,567 of 4,255
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #3,568 of 4,255
Getting a bit of ABX-ing snippet impressions going with LCD-XC 2016 cups off, Sundara and 2021 X grills off last few days.

Sundara holds its own with these 2 in multiple areas....notice the subs lift in other 2 vs Sundara...
scoop in mids in 2016 LCD vs Sundara... X 2021 small bit forward in mids vs Sundara..notice
that bit of brightness in treble region in Sundara vs other 2...
2021 X lighter in weight than previous X, but still that gap in weight to Sundara.
Sundara actually darker overall than 2021 X with these velour pads.

Short version : more linearity in the sound of Sundara as volume goes up, except for that tad bright treble that can be dealt with with pads.

Considering its less than 1/3 of price of new X...not baaaaad.....more money to play with amps/DACs for those on a strict budget.

That spare £800 would go well towards a Flux FA-22/some class A amp etc and Audio-gd R2R11 (doing only DAC duty).
IMG_20210802_192140.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #3,569 of 4,255
I got my open box unit from Hifiman directly and they are great! Love this headphone and great service from Hifiman.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #3,570 of 4,255
I have had the sundara for about a year, if I listen to it directly from my DAP ibasso dx220 it sounds good enough, if I connect it to my topping A90 and dac gustard x16 the listening is tiring and not pleasant, maybe for the sundara you need an amp that goes good at low impedance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back