Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 13, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #798 of 4,255
Hey, thanks for your response.

Why would it be no better? Is Crystallized Copper (Sundara) better than Oxygen Free Copper (9ft cable from amazon)?

If so how much better? is it a significant amount of difference in quality?
Yes, technically crystallized copper is better than OFC, but I doubt the two cables would be any different sound quality wise. If you want a real cable improvement, you'll have to spend a lot more for it and it's probably not worth it for the Sundara, considering their price.

I purchased this one, only because I want a balanced XLR connector. I'm not expecting a dramatic improvement over the stock cable with it. I considered re-terminating the stock cable with a balanced XLR, but I want a 3.5mm connector cable as well for portable use.

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #799 of 4,255
Intrigued by the “almost floating” soundstage. Maybe I should pick these up to complement the LCD2C... or at least to try them

Good, let us know what you think of them.

I have mine running if for about 72 hours and I reckon that they are still improving but I could be wrong, it could just be my random imagination. :L3000:

I see that you have the AKG K812 (that seem to divide opinions) but I should mention that I thought that they could be very good for Jazz type music but they did not do it for me for general vocals especially female but of course we all know that what we pair with it can make a big difference.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #800 of 4,255
I switched my 400i and 560 cables to a Periapt one (they share) and I much prefer the new cable. Originally, I had switched just to get something more flexible, but the improvement in sound is noticeable. Anyway, I mention Periapt because they are relatively inexpensive and an excellent value.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #801 of 4,255
Not directly related to the Sundara, but here's my review vid on the new HD 660 S. In it I do mention that I feel that the Sundara is a better value and subjectively better sounding product compared to the 660 S and 650

Heard the 660S at CanJam. It was definately a 'good' headphone, just not $500 nowadays. Sennheiser was able to charge $499 back then because competition was nowhere near what we have today and they were phenomenal back then. With a saturated market, at this price point, the HD660S is in a weird spot honestly

We've removed a number of posts from the thread because they were getting too personal and off-topic. Please keep the posts about the gear and not one another. Thank you, everyone.
I L Y <3

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #802 of 4,255
Good, let us know what you think of them.

I have mine running if for about 72 hours and I reckon that they are still improving but I could be wrong, it could just be my random imagination. :L3000:

I see that you have the AKG K812 (that seem to divide opinions) but I should mention that I thought that they could be very good for Jazz type music but they did not do it for me for general vocals especially female but of course we all know that what we pair with it can make a big difference.
I like the 812 and prefer it to HD800

The thing I loved about the original HEK was its presentation of music like it was out in front of your head, like it was coming out of speakers. Is the Sundara like that?

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #804 of 4,255
Crystallized Copper is OCC, which is much better in terms of purity than OFC

Yes, technically crystallized copper is better than OFC, but I doubt the two cables would be any different sound quality wise. If you want a real cable improvement, you'll have to spend a lot more for it and it's probably not worth it for the Sundara, considering their price.

I purchased this one, only because I want a balanced XLR connector. I'm not expecting a dramatic improvement over the stock cable with it. I considered re-terminating the stock cable with a balanced XLR, but I want a 3.5mm connector cable as well for portable use.

Thank you guys for the info. I will still buy this one since I can't see any other option with dual 3.5 mm and with this length unless you guys have seen anything better.

Sorry to bother again, but is the length an issue when it comes to sound quality also? I've read that the resistance increases with length but all you do to compensate is to increase amp volume. Does this adds to distortion? Maybe these are too technical questions that need me to read something more detailed.

I switched my 400i and 560 cables to a Periapt one (they share) and I much prefer the new cable. Originally, I had switched just to get something more flexible, but the improvement in sound is noticeable. Anyway, I mention Periapt because they are relatively inexpensive and an excellent value.

Thanks. Sadly, I looked into their website and couldn't find a dual 3.5mm male cable, but they do seem to be really well made. Are these OCC made?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #805 of 4,255
I like the 812 and prefer it to HD800

The thing I loved about the original HEK was its presentation of music like it was out in front of your head, like it was coming out of speakers. Is the Sundara like that?

The Sundara are my first planar so it impossible for me to compare.

But in jest, I would describe it as a bit of an out of body experience as opposed to a micro details assault that you can get with the Beyer T1.2. The sound seems to float around the periphery of your head and is even different from a good speaker system.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #806 of 4,255
....No sound out of the left channel. Today someone posted a YouTube review with the same problem.
Not encouraging for a $500 headphone. Probably sending them back.

Sound = very good.
Build Quality = bad for 500 USD cans.

I had no sonic issues.
Upon closer inspection, there were 4 large drops of "glue-like" substance on left channel diaphragm. NOT GOOD Hifiman!

Mine is going back too :frowning2:

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #807 of 4,255
Thanks. Sadly, I looked into their website and couldn't find a dual 3.5mm male cable, but they do seem to be really well made. Are these OCC made?

The list dual mono 3.5mm as "Type VIII" on their list of options. Rather than list what headphones those are compatible with, they list the headphones that they actually test them with. For Type VIII, that's the Focal Elear. Those connectors should fit anything that takes dual mono 3.5mm, though. I'm not sure if that is what the Sundara takes, but you can email Periapt to find out. For that matter, they would probably be willing to make something with just about any connectors you want if you email them. They are quick to respond to email and, even better, they are very quick in turnaround time (at least compared to other custom makers). Plus, their most expensive option is $88, too. Gotta love that.

OFC is measurably not as good as OCC. However, that is only one consideration. Shielding, braiding, wire gauge, quality of copper, quality of connectors, workmanship, and a a bunch of other small details can change the sound of a cable. OCC is something to consider, but it doesn't make or break a cable. Not like faulty soldering or fragile shielding does.

Periapt is also a good recommendation because, if you don't believe different cables do anything to the sound, these are still well-built, handsome, inexpensive cables that are beautifully supple and flexible. They are delightful to use and a breeze to store, something that cable-makers often seem to overlook. And customer service has been wonderful and prompt.

There are other good custom cable-makers, of course, but Periapt really has their crap together and can't be beat for the price.

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #809 of 4,255
Sorry to bother again, but is the length an issue when it comes to sound quality also? I've read that the resistance increases with length but all you do to compensate is to increase amp volume. Does this adds to distortion? Maybe these are too technical questions that need me to read something more detailed.
The cable has to be extremely long to even close to a small fraction of the impedance of the Sundara. I wouldn't worry about it. It would have been better if he kept at 2.5mm for the cables to work with other Hifimans that utilize 2.5mm.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #810 of 4,255
Anybody here who can make a brief comparison between the Sundara and the Sony Z7, that would be really appreciated.

I'm in search of a sub-1000 Euros headphone to complement my Sony which I find them to be a solid step up from the HD650 in every aspect, tonally and comfort wise and I'm very satisfied with the way they play certain genres, having replaced my HD650 for some time now.

Basically I'm looking for more transparency (HD600 type) because I just don't like the way the Z7 performs with acoustic music (Sax for instance does not carry the natural weight into it), I want more sub-bass depth (I prefer the HD600 from the Z7 in that regard!) and lastly, a tad less bass presence than the Sony. Sometimes its big bass feels just too much for my ears, despite the relatively soft punch it has.

Therefore to summarize: 1) More transparency and airyness, 2) more sub-bass depth, 3) slightly "smaller" bass image than the Sony Z7.

Will the Sundara fill the bill for me you think? If not, what other headphones should I be looking at?

This is going to be my first planar ever....and it HAS to be planar!

I have both Z7 (since 3 months) and Sundara (Since 2 weeks). Z7 do have more bass and are less airy than the Sundara (semi-open Z7 vs full open Sundara). I find the Sundara to be crispier and clearer, especially on acoustic. Having said that, it is very hard to recommend one over the other on the basis of sound alone, as they are substantially different. Sundara are also my first planar and overall I am pretty impressed, from a sound point of view. As for why the Z7 costs around $200 more than Sundara, well it is Sony's previous flagship for one, and secondly, they are, as you know, one of the most comfortable and well built headphones ever made. Sundara, despite being supremely comfortable as well, still dont compare on the build quality and comfort. Also, my Sundara broker (left channel was unbalanced, so somethign with the cable I guess) within 2 days of getting them. I read a lot on the net about their shoddy build quality and QC and was sorely disappointed that the Sundara were not different. Since then I have a new pair and they are working ok so far. I can recommend the Sundara but would suggest you test them, if you can, yourself before deciding on these being your first planar (if $ not an issue, as very few planar headphones, if any, can deliver on the sound as the Sundara does, at this price point) as everybody's hearing is different. I am sure you know this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back