Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
May 16, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #1,156 of 4,255
Wait, something I missed. AFC is warm? I didn't think it was warm, like I've stated, it sounded lower treble lifted, and lean. Not warm. I thought the lower treble was a bit emphasized than I prefer, bright. I can't agree that Sundara is brighter than the AFC. If AFC is the warmest of the bunch, none of them are really warm.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #1,157 of 4,255
Wait, something I missed. AFC is warm? I didn't think it was warm, like I've stated, it sounded lower treble lifted, and lean. Not warm. I thought the lower treble was a bit emphasized than I prefer, bright. I can't agree that Sundara is brighter than the AFC. If AFC is the warmest of the bunch, none of them are really warm.

If you are referring to my observations, this is the key sentence in what I wrote about the AFC, while I heard them as the warmest if the four, I would have to say they were "still brght compared to most other cans I hav heard"

May 17, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,159 of 4,255
hi, the sundara sounds good with metal music coupled with mojo?
I dont have a Mojo but the Sundara does Linkin Park very well. All the tiny beats and nuances are very well defined.

May 17, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,160 of 4,255
I dont have a Mojo but the Sundara does Linkin Park very well. All the tiny beats and nuances are very well defined.

Hummmmm.
So, the Sun's do LkPk well.
But how do they handle Paul and Azam /???????, as you can believe that the Aeon C's im using to listen to them while i write this to you, are doing them both, so well ................:)
-
-

-
-

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,161 of 4,255

Does it feel like it's crawling in your skin? But I guess in the end it doesn't even matter if you're just numb to it all. But it all starts with one drink of fine wine before I faint. I seriously need to break this habit of drinking while listening.

When your tipsy with the Sundara. It sounds like you're leaving out all the rest of the details. And it gets hollower as all the nuanced details get lost in the echo.

I think a catalyst for success with the Sundaras is proper amping through maybe chifi. Think of it as a good pairing with roads untraveled in the general audio industry. You don't know how good it is until it's gone and I just end up talking to myself wishing i hadn't sold it. I've given up on trying to pair the Sundara with the 'best' amp there is out there.

Listening to the headphone can be heavy sometimes from the wrap around

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,162 of 4,255
Does it feel like it's crawling in your skin? But I guess in the end it doesn't even matter if you're just numb to it all. But it all starts with one drink of fine wine before I faint. I seriously need to break this habit of drinking while listening.

No. Just no. :deadhorse:

May 17, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,163 of 4,255

When your tipsy with the Sundara. It sounds like you're leaving out all the rest of the details. And it gets hollower as all the nuanced details get lost in the echo.

I think a catalyst for success with the Sundaras is proper amping through maybe chifi. Think of it as a good pairing with roads untraveled in the general audio industry. You don't know how good it is until it's gone and I just end up talking to myself wishing i hadn't sold it. I've given up on trying to pair the Sundara with the 'best' amp there is out there.

Listening to the headphone can be heavy sometimes from the wrap around

Naisu

May 20, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,167 of 4,255
Sounds exactly like my tastes lol. Now I'll have to try out the DT1990 and Focal Elex
If you are like me you will love them. But also try out the AFC - listening to them playing Breaking Benjamin’s album, Ember, and they sound great, as do the Sundara.

I had a chance to go to the local Audio Advice yesterday and tried on several higher end cans. I really did not like the Audeze LCD-2 (too warm / dark), but the LCD-X has promise... but the best to my ears I tried out were the Hifiman X v2... build quality nowhere near the LCD-2, but much brighter / clear / articulate.

May 20, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,168 of 4,255
Great write up. I just got the Elex and am loving it so far. No clipping issues at low volume. I've been torn between the DT-1990, Sundara and LCD2 Classic that was just recently re-released. I would not want anything brighter than the Elex so this write up really helps with that itch. The Sundara has also been a curiosity but I have the 400i and it's still in rotation and I don't know if I can ever truly ditch it. I'm not getting the Sundara to provide a discrete jump over the 400i. The 400i does so many things right for my taste. The AFC has been an interesting mention but I can't see it trumping any of my headphones from what I've read. A great headphone though from how it's regarded. I may have to skip the Sundara and DT-1990 and look toward the HE-X v2, Eikon, Autuer, or LCD2C. Thanks for your perspective.
Of the ones you are thinking about, yesterday I tried the x v2 and LCD-2 (not “classic”, though). To my ears x v2, hands down. Shares a lot of traits with my favorites - brighter than neutral, but not ice picks. Articulate / clear. Audeze LCD-2 was warm and hazy. I checked out the LCD-X and it also has promise... Did not run through my set of tracks that I use to check out headphones, so can’t be sure, but one of these two might be my next purchase...

May 20, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,169 of 4,255
If you are like me you will love them. But also try out the AFC - listening to them playing Breaking Benjamin’s album, Ember, and they sound great, as do the Sundara.

I had a chance to go to the local Audio Advice yesterday and tried on several higher end cans. I really did not like the Audeze LCD-2 (too warm / dark), but the LCD-X has promise... but the best to my ears I tried out were the Hifiman X v2... build quality nowhere near the LCD-2, but much brighter / clear / articulate.
I've tried the AFC before. It was quite good though I liked the more spacious sound of the Sundaras.

The Hifiman Edition X V2 was good too but it was just ok for its price imo.

One thing I don't like about Audeze headphones is how stiff the headband adjusters are. I'm always afraid I'll break something.

Oh and I am sure demo the DT1990 and elex if I ever see them.

May 20, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #1,170 of 4,255
_
Alrighty then, im here with your
report.

I had originally planned to post a bit of commentary regarding the Aeon Flow closed, on Sun - 5/6, but, i can do it now as i know what their deal is all about, already.
So, to keep it not as short as you'd probably prefer........., as this is not the Aeon thread, but, as i said i would offer my thoughts for you to chew, here is the review.

First, when i unboxed the dark Aeon's, i thought........."these kinda look like the Blue Ella's, painted dark,:)
And thats the only thing these 2 have in common.

Now, to the Good.

First, if you buy them, you probably will take out the easily swappable white inner (factory) pads, as these do frequency smother the tone a little bit too much in my opinion, and you'll go with the black, as they give you the full measure of what this product can produce, when you set it free.

2nd, for a very lightweight (partially) high impact plastic set of headphones, the Aeon's offer very very good isolation.
IN this regard, they are 70% of my Bose QCs.

Be careful tho that you dont tap or bang the "duel" adjustable headphone bars that are located above the strap, as if you do, you'll get a bass resonance that actually sounds like a bass drum's reverb echoing inside your headphones.
And of course, the cable is going to be heard if it is disturbed while you have the headphones strapped around your favorite noggin.
Nothing new there...

Comfort, is an 8.5+

Next... to the meat of the matter......This set of headphones is the $300 - $900 headphone that all owners of Audeze and Hifiman, (within that price range) wish they had purchased, as its what you wanted in/for your sound, and instead you got Hifi's' "too bright" or Audeze's "no trebles"..
This one, the Aeon Flow Closed, regarding clarity, resolution, details, instrument separation, soundstage, (for a closed), and realism, regarding the way it manifests true & accurate tonality, is worth every single penny it costs you to partake.

How is the sound best described, overall?.... = Polished and Refined with gobs of revealed detail on tap, and mostly balanced,...... mostly.
Trebles have no annoyingly "etched" situation going on.....at all,..... yet they reach way up there so you can internally see all the frequency parts in play.
The beauty in the Aeon's tone, overall, i would describe......as,... an elegant and polished presentation that is almost as if you are listening to music that is being professionally remastered by it to sound slightly better then it actually does.
MP3s are in general, crap, and the Aeon product will certainly provide you with this fact.
Yet, it still retains and presents a very natural presentation of instruments and vocals, no matter what you have it play.
The Aeon plays well with prosumer and high end Dacs, and enjoys a Tube or 2..

The Aeon's lovely sound, seemingly, has an almost high end compressor tweek thingy, going on....as if its overall balance is being gently and internally sweetened into perfect sonic alignment ) regarding how it presents the wonder of what it does for $8-bills.
Overall its a refined and fine sound, that is also absolutely & obviously designated, by one caveat....
The bass response is very very very neutral........ Solid, accurate, detailed, but very neutral, and for my ears, this represents not an issue, but, a reality that i have definitely noticed the more i carefully listened to this headphone's presentation.
It seems that the factory tweeker of this Headphone's tone, added just a smidgen of midrange lift, as the mids are positioned gently out front, and because of this, the neutral bass thereby sits every so slightly in the background.
Let me put it this way...
If we think of this headphone's sound as a 3 piece combo of guitar as treble, drums as midrange, and bass as ...bass.....then you'll sit in the middle of the audience thinking...."wow, they are all GREAT, but, the bass could be a little bit louder".

Finally, when i compared the Aeon's to the Senn HD600S, i was reminded again how great the Senn's are, as they generally sonically hang with the Aeon's sonic sig, overall , and offer just a little bit more bass.
So, do consider that an open Senn HD660S, offers slightly, very slightly, more bass response then a beautiful sounding set of closed Aeon Flow's.
So, to reciprocate that, im also stating right here, and to whom it may concern, that the House Sound of the very fine Aeon Flow Closed Headphones, is something that Sennheiser HD6 fans will be very familiar with, and appreciate, in a Planar Mag sort of way....
Senn fans might also appreciate a bit more bass response within the Aeon's, but, they'd love these, nevertheless.

Lastly...

Aeon Flow Closed headphones, do not sound like Beyer, or Audio Tech, or Hifiman, or Sony, or Philips Fidello, or Monolith 1060, or AKG K7.
They, in their on Planar way, wear the Sennheiser HD6 Tone badge, and wear it very well polished.

So the final answer is..
Both are worth the money, and both sound great.
If you are a professional musician like i am, = both are equal and worthy contenders for allowing you to fearlessly use them to mix and master, if you can't use your Studio Monitors, and have to use Headphones to do it, as both of these are very "true".
Great products, both.

This video sounds great through them both, yet, Tom Chaplin's voice, which is sort of Like Freddie Mercury on a good day, sounds so awesome, that really......any headphone is going to love it.

-

FB1

I have been way too consumed with work this past week, so I am not sure if I mentioned to you, my sista’ / sensei, that I now have both the AFC and the Senn 660s. The AFC are fantastic and taking an increasing amount of my very limited listening time (too much time on the road and I am not yet ready to take these on a road trip!). The Senn 660s will take some getting used to, as that veil is different...

Have you heard the HifiMan X v2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back