Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
May 20, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #1,171 of 4,255
I've tried the AFC before. It was quite good though I liked the more spacious sound of the Sundaras.

The Hifiman Edition X V2 was good too but it was just ok for its price imo.

One thing I don't like about Audeze headphones is how stiff the headband adjusters are. I'm always afraid I'll break something.

Oh and I am sure demo the DT1990 and elex if I ever see them.
I hope you do get the opportunity!

It would be hard to demo the Elex unless you can get someone that has them to share - Massdrop only, and not to be found in stores.

May 20, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,172 of 4,255
I hope you do get the opportunity!

It would be hard to demo the Elex unless you can get someone that has them to share - Massdrop only, and not to be found in stores.
Ah no wonder :/

How do they compare to the Sundaras then?

May 20, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,173 of 4,255
Yes, it was a pretty quick test drive that didnt end well.
And if the Sundara is more comfy then the effortless to wear HD660S, then that is quite a trick.
I would have to own it again, now that i own the HD660S, to know for certain.
So, Do you really feel that the Sundara has the edge over any Senn- HD6 regarding midrange, as even tho i only heard the Fang gear for 5 mins, i played a few partial tunes through it, and found it to be another of Fang's bright sounding headphones.
Detailed, bright, sort of like a H560 Jr.
Ive not really reviewed this Fang gear since i sent it away, but i'll own it again one day, once the initial QC issue is dialed in and the remedy is applied.
However, im gonna take a leap of faith, and say that if i went to Amazon or looked around on the Web, most listeners are not going to access this headphone as having anything like lush or full midrange, and i bet most will say its kinda bright.
If Tyll said the Sundara's mids are lush and superior to the HD6 family, then we have a winner, as He would never say that, unless .............
So, as i said, ive not studied any reviews of the Sundara since i sent mine away, but, i do recall them not having an especially hugely spacious soundstage sound, and they had that typical "Fang Likes Bright", thing going on...:)

I hope as you say, the Sundara is all about the Midrange, as that would be nice to own, if the Sundara is all about that......
Can't tell from "hear".

best,

FB1
Did you ever get your Sundara back?

May 20, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #1,174 of 4,255

-
Where the Aeon Flow C's have all your bases covered, is with those inserts that came with it.
Listen, all who are obsessed with sound and how it is delivered to our earholes eventually figure out that no one Can-gear does it all.
This is why all of us have a bio page here that lists so many headphones and so many Dacs and Amps.
This is similar to being a solo guitar player, acoustic, as after a while. you just end up with about 10 guitars because it is just not possible to have one guitar (Steel String) that gives you all you need to be satisfied all the time.
Maybe one plays like butter and you use that one Live, but, it does not record well, so, you have one for that........and on it goes.
And that is exactly the issue with almost everything in Life.....as a human just cant find contentment, if they are only allowed "one" man made product... per genre`.
Its interesting that The Buddha teaches that "freedom from want", is the attainment of Peace, and in fact this is nonsense, as we are created by our Creator to WANT, as this is the nature of existence, and so, the issues of life are not solved by not wanting.....but rather, the problem always is ....1.) Out of Control wanting,....... and 2.) Wanting what is BAD for us.... So, once you figure that out, and develop some self control,.... then wanting, is not bad for you, and in fact, you can learn through disciplined practice to focus your "want" to get out of your Life the Bliss that satisfies and does not harm, and instead inspires and stimulates you to PRODUCE.

So, as i was saying........The Aeon C , if you are able to love a closed Can, may be the one gear that allows you the absolute most variety of Sound Options based on using the 3 types of pads that come with it, which allow you to adjust its sound and tone, and this is not a gimmick.
See, maybe some days you want to analyze the music and dissect it, and on that day, just put in the black pads and you have a set of microscopes strapped to your ears.

Maybe one day you want natural and neutral and balanced and perfect.........so, on that day, put the White Pads in that have the 2 little slots cut out.
But what about that day when you want to hear only acoustic folk and classical?.... The go with the 3rd White pad option and kick back into the world of warm and comfy tone..

The Aeon C's are more then just a one trick sonic pony. ... :)

fb1
Yes, on all fronts!

Constructive, or at least not destructive, “want” is a powerful human drive. Fortunately it has driven the best of human endeavors. Unfortunately it has driven destructive results. The human race is so much better off than it was in the Middle Ages due to the progress driven by the pursuit. But it is also so much closer to its own destruction.

And the Aeon... yes, from no inserts, to the white with the two notches, and everything in between. They satisfy so many musical tastes / genre / moods.more and more my go to, for the limited opportunities I have!

And, keeping on topic / thread, I am still loving on my Sundara, and I hope you get yours back soon!!

May 20, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #1,175 of 4,255
Ah no wonder :/

How do they compare to the Sundaras then?
Night and day... well, night and day in the band of sound signs I like...

The Elex (like the DT 1990 Pro) are on the brighter side. Very clear, deep but well behaved bass (no/limited bloom or intrusion into mids). Mids that are just a little recessed, but not veiled at all. Strongly emphasized treble, that can get close to sibilance (and cross over on some tracks). Very punchy, very articulate with each note being distinct almost. I like to describe these as having a sound that almost attacks you.

All of the above is true for both the DT 1990 and Elex, to my ears anyway, but a little less extreme for the Elex than the DT 1990.

The Sundara is a warmer sound COMPARED to these two (I think most would describe Sundara as brighter than neutral). The Sundara mids are slightly veiled by comparison. They have nice bass and treble, but not as much as these two. Much less “attack” and much smoother and musical.

To me, the Elex and DT 1990 are fun to listen to for short period, but then I turn to the Sundara and Aeon Flow Closed for a more comfortable long listening session.

Hope this helps a little.

May 20, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #1,176 of 4,255
I recently got the HiFiMan HE400i for £180 on Amazon UK, I am really liking it and preferring it to the Sundara (that I returned recently for £450).

I reckon that it has a more focused overall sound and has better dynamics and energy and what is even better - is that it has great vocal presence.

I reckon that the Sundara is more of a side-grade for those that crave extra micro detail and air at the expense of the overall soundscape that is more realistic on the 400i.

I also recently got ("the love it or hate it") Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon but it is the 400i that I reach for most of the time so far.

Early days for me to make my conclusion but for me the DT1990 is a little on the bland side with its slightly recessed mids that leaves me wanting more.
I have the AQ Nightowl and, yeah, talk about love / hate... :)

May 20, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #1,177 of 4,255
Night and day... well, night and day in the band of sound signs I like...

The Elex (like the DT 1990 Pro) are on the brighter side. Very clear, deep but well behaved bass (no/limited bloom or intrusion into mids). Mids that are just a little recessed, but not veiled at all. Strongly emphasized treble, that can get close to sibilance (and cross over on some tracks). Very punchy, very articulate with each note being distinct almost. I like to describe these as having a sound that almost attacks you.

All of the above is true for both the DT 1990 and Elex, to my ears anyway, but a little less extreme for the Elex than the DT 1990.

The Sundara is a warmer sound COMPARED to these two (I think most would describe Sundara as brighter than neutral). The Sundara mids are slightly veiled by comparison. They have nice bass and treble, but not as much as these two. Much less “attack” and much smoother and musical.

To me, the Elex and DT 1990 are fun to listen to for short period, but then I turn to the Sundara and Aeon Flow Closed for a more comfortable long listening session.

Hope this helps a little.
It helps more than you think :)

So am I correct to assume that the Elex is somewhere between the DT1990s Sundaras but closer to the DT1990s?

May 20, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,178 of 4,255
Really appreciate this review. 3/4 cans I've been interested in for a while. I think we have similar tastes. Have you tried the 400i in comparison to the Sundara?
I haven’t had the chance to try out the 400i, I am afraid! I think someone on the thread here just noted that they prefer the 400i, so in my opinion then the 400i must be amazing because I really like the Sundara...!

May 20, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #1,179 of 4,255
It helps more than you think :)

So am I correct to assume that the Elex is somewhere between the DT1990s Sundaras but closer to the DT1990s?
Yep - I have been accused of never using 10 words when I can use 1000... you hit the conclusion on the head!

May 20, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,180 of 4,255
I have been way too consumed with work this past week, so I am not sure if I mentioned to you, my sista’ / sensei, that I now have both the AFC and the Senn 660s. The AFC are fantastic and taking an increasing amount of my very limited listening time (too much time on the road and I am not yet ready to take these on a road trip!). The Senn 660s will take some getting used to, as that veil is different...

Have you heard the HifiMan X v2?

Hey JSM58, i hope you are well and full of life and light.

Glad you are diggin' the AFC's, and your Senns will also be that "other" outstanding perspective, as these two compliment each other, and offer a lot of sonic enlightenment along the way.
As i was telling a discerning listener earlier, here......."no one set of headphones does it all", and fact, trying to get everything you need from only one, is like existing on a diet of Apples when you really need the whole garden at your disposal, to deeply satisfy your contentment zone.
The same goes for being a performing musician regarding a Steel String instrument or if you are so inclined to be a Photographic "enthusiast"... = One product can't do it all.
So, what i like to do, is keep my ears always enthused by having multiple good choices, and i suspect that about 100% of the Can Obsessed who frequent this forum, know all about this....so, it's kinda "preaching to the choir".
What i personally do, is learn which 2 cans from my headphone harem seem to work well together as sonic partners when im switching B&F, and i do this constantly..
I often switch headphones "mid listen", as that is what turns my ears on.
Today, im swapping the ADZ Sine's with the H1707s, as i just bought these, and this critical listening situation is feeding my Bliss since last Friday afternoon, when they both magically appeared into my world care of the fine folks at the USPS.

happy listening.....

Last edited by a moderator:
May 20, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #1,181 of 4,255
Please stop posting videos all the time, @FullBright1. This is not a music thread. Please keep your discussion relevant to the headphones.
As far as I can see, the sample videos and tracks can be very helpful in evaluating headphones... there were some earlier responses to these where some odd artifacts were discussed. On the Elex thread various tracks were noted as being useful to evaluate the “clipping” at elevated volumes and deep sub-bass...

May 20, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,182 of 4,255
As far as I can see, the sample videos and tracks can be very helpful in evaluating headphones... there were some earlier responses to these where some odd artifacts were discussed. On the Elex thread various tracks were noted as being useful to evaluate the “clipping” at elevated volumes and deep sub-bass...

Yep. They sure can. But, that's not what's happening here. She is just promoting her own YouTube channel, it seems. Posting songs you like listening to on your headphones is not useful to anyone. Should people start posting clips to movies they liked with the Sundaras? Gameplay of video games that really come to life with these headphones? Sounds like a quick way to swamp a thread with useless, off-topic posts.

May 20, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,184 of 4,255
Yep. They sure can. But, that's not what's happening here. She is just promoting her own YouTube channel, it seems. Posting songs you like listening to on your headphones is not useful to anyone. Should people start posting clips to movies they liked with the Sundaras? Gameplay of video games that really come to life with these headphones? Sounds like a quick way to swamp a thread with useless, off-topic posts.
Possibly, but seems pretty subtle if that is it. Playing the tracks from a browser window (at least on my iPad) just plays there and no mention of the channel. Barring evidence to the contrary, I will take people and actions as they appear...

May 20, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,185 of 4,255
And, keeping on topic / thread, I am still loving on my Sundara, and I hope you get yours back soon!!

Well then, me too.:)

So some questions for you.

According to your ears......when they compare the mids and the treble response of the Aeon C's to the same regarding the Sundara's, how do they perceive them differently?
Also, regarding low end extension....how do your ears compare the Low end extension as well as overall fullness of the bass response, when they compare the Aeon C's to the Sundara's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back