Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
May 31, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #3,826 of 4,255
Also could you share some more impressions on Sundara vs. Grado vs. 600 regarding Post-Rock / Metal music?
I have Sundara and 6xx and was thinking about Grado's for quite some time.. am just not sure if its a worthy addition and not a lot of places (if any) to audition them where i live.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #3,827 of 4,255
"Especially for the 299$ right now at their official shop page. B-stock even 249$, really great value i guess. maybe because the hype now tends towards the new hifiman edition xs."

I have had the Sundaras for about 8 months now and they are one of my favorite headphones ever. I think the imaging on these is stellar along with the detail and clarity. I recently (one month ago) purchased the Edition XS, fully expecting it would replace the Sundaras based on everything I read. Each time I sat down to compare the 2, I ended up keeping the Sundaras on my head and thinking, these aren't going anywhere. I think they are different enough from the XS, that it makes sense for me to keep both.

May 31, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #3,829 of 4,255
I bought a used Sundara 2021 revision and have to say, the stock pads are not very good. The image was "grey" to me with poor color saturation/timbre density and also hard lef/right sounds were imaging behind my head... I swapped pads for 100mm flat Sheepskin pads bought off Aliexpress and timbre density improved considerably, but they also sounded a bit tizzy. Then I swapped for angled sheepskin pads made for Beyerdynamic DT880, and WOW. Great timbre density, very snappy, much better soundstaging, virtually no sense of glare, and just a great match imo. I was not digging the Sundara's until I swapped pads, but now they are a big enough step up from headphones I've personally built that they might be worth keeping. If anyone is interested these pads are available on eBay, item number 185445632031 (just copy/paste item number into eBay search function). The pads are a little expensive, but high quality: great feel to the leather on hand and face, comfortable, easy to clean with leather wipe, etc. and overall just a great tuning for Sundara and possibly other Hifimans imho. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #3,830 of 4,255
I'm about to get the 2020 sundara. I've heard that hifiman had bad reputations about QC in the past. Mine is almost out of warranty too, any chance it broke at random?
In the past? I think they may still have some QC issues, but then you really only hear about the bad on forums like this. I have the 2021 version and never had an issue. Are you purchasing the 2020 version used? If so, I would check with the seller first, to see what they would do if you purchase the headphones, and then say the driver is bad on one ear, when you receive them.

Jun 11, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #3,831 of 4,255
Hey Cricket, wanna try my EQ for Sundara in Equalizer APO/Peace? I know oratory1990's EQ is supposed to be the standard but for me it didn't sound quite right so I made my own.Anyway, check it out if interested!

Preamp: -3 dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 0.8
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 1.7
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 800 Hz Gain -1.9 dB Q 1.7
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1700 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 4
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2100 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 4
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 4
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 3800 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 4
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 4
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2
Filter 13: ON PK Fc 14000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2
Wasn't satisfied with oratorys eq so i started googling other eqs and this is now the best eq i've used. thank you for sharing!

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #3,832 of 4,255
Wasn't satisfied with oratorys eq so i started googling other eqs and this is now the best eq i've used. thank you for sharing!
I'm glad to hear that! :) I made it by ear when listening to the most complex music I could find in my collection so I can sense any potential ringing and resonances.

https://headphonetestlab.co.uk/test-results-manufacturers-e-h-hifiman-sundara
If you take a look at Sundara's CSD you'll see that the 5-6khz area is very resonant. Adding extra energy in that problematic area can't help the timbre and accuracy of the high mids / low treble. :) Since oratory's EQs aim for Harman curve neutrality and the Sundara has ringing issues around the areas he boosted - as a result the headphone will sound more shouty and metallic with his EQ.

The Sundara sounds better slightly darker instead of neutral or bright, at least to me ears... That's specifically why I've removed some presence from the "warm" 250hz-800hz area, to give the illusion that my EQ doesn't make the headphone too dark.

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #3,833 of 4,255
I have a spare tube amp (not sure of the design but it uses 6922 tubes so nothing powerful) I wanna put to use. do you think the sundara (or any planar) would be ok? Thank you.

Jun 11, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #3,834 of 4,255
I have a spare tube amp (not sure of the design but it uses 6922 tubes so nothing powerful) I wanna put to use. do you think the sundara (or any planar) would be ok? Thank you.
How much power? I like sundara on my schiit Vali 2 with 6922 or equivalents, and on Lyr 3 with 6SN7. Sundara, like all planars, loves current. The more power you feed it, the better it sounds. A generalization, but…

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #3,835 of 4,255
How much power? I like sundara on my schiit Vali 2 with 6922 or equivalents, and on Lyr 3 with 6SN7. Sundara, like all planars, loves current. The more power you feed it, the better it sounds. A generalization, but…
Thanks for the response. Seems I need to swap around my amps if I were to use a planar. Thank you

Jun 13, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #3,836 of 4,255
I bought a used Sundara 2021 revision and have to say, the stock pads are not very good. The image was "grey" to me with poor color saturation/timbre density and also hard lef/right sounds were imaging behind my head... I swapped pads for 100mm flat Sheepskin pads bought off Aliexpress and timbre density improved considerably, but they also sounded a bit tizzy. Then I swapped for angled sheepskin pads made for Beyerdynamic DT880, and WOW. Great timbre density, very snappy, much better soundstaging, virtually no sense of glare, and just a great match imo. I was not digging the Sundara's until I swapped pads, but now they are a big enough step up from headphones I've personally built that they might be worth keeping. If anyone is interested these pads are available on eBay, item number 185445632031 (just copy/paste item number into eBay search function). The pads are a little expensive, but high quality: great feel to the leather on hand and face, comfortable, easy to clean with leather wipe, etc. and overall just a great tuning for Sundara and possibly other Hifimans imho. Highly recommended.
I bought a $15 pair of pads off of Aliexpress that improved the sound over the original pads.

Best upgrade though... Mojo 2. Match made in heaven.

Jun 14, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #3,840 of 4,255
lol what
Sensitivity32dB

I'm not sure, but the listed specs on that site seem to be wrong.
I was looking the other day and on the official website you can find something else.

specs.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back