Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 19, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #3,811 of 4,255
BTW, the Japanese in your sig is incorrect. Should be: リラックスして音楽を楽しんでください。
Your's says: Relax and look forward to the music.
Actually, both are correct. "お楽しみください" is more formal.
"Relax and look forward to the music" would be "リラックスして音楽をお楽しみにしてください". One of the quite confusing expressions :wink:

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #3,812 of 4,255
Actually, both are correct. "お楽しみください" is more formal.
"Relax and look forward to the music" would be "リラックスして音楽をお楽しみにしてください". One of the quite confusing expressions :wink:
Stupid formal Japanese! Gonna be the death of me. :confused:
お世話になっております。よろしくお願いいたします。

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #3,813 of 4,255
Stupid formal Japanese! Gonna be the death of me. :confused:
お世話になっております。よろしくお願いいたします。
Same with: "Entspannen Sie sich und genießen Sie die Musik!" in german.
Thats also very formal.
"Entspanne und genieße die Musik." would be the more relaxed version :)

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #3,816 of 4,255
Did your ears touch the driver when the Pads where new, or just when they began to get worn out?

I have the sundara for 2 month now and absolutely love them soundwise, however my right ear is touching the driver / foam what makes them uncomfortable to wear after a short time.
Dekoni Pads are hard to come by where i live and are very expensive. I dont know if the increase in stiffness would be enough to let my ears not touching the drivers, as the dekoni have the same depth as the stock pads..

Another option would be to try ZMF universe Pads, but i cannot really predict how drastic those would change the sound.
I'm sorry for such a late reply but I hope I can still help you:
I bought my Sundara used, the original pads were flat already when I got it. I bought the Dekoni Elite Hybrids it was much better but I still had the same issue, ear touching the foam and too much pressure.

I think you can improve the ear touching situation if you bend a little the metal (like with Sennheiser) but I'm not sure if it's even recommended on the Sundara. My solution was to upgrade to the Edition XS, for me this headphone is simply much more comfortable than the Sundara, my ears don't touch anything now, the Edition XS somehow feels lighter as well.

The Sundara is better looking and better built but I really like the Edition XS comfort and sound wise.
1648251966397.png

They are similar sound-wise, in very general terms the Edition XS has a bit more soundstage and better sub-bass impact. There are other differences but those two are the ones I noticed first.

What really sells the Edition XS for me is how much more comfortable it is me.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #3,817 of 4,255
I just picked up these from aliexpress but haven't received them yet. I'll let you know when I get them and have a chance to listen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400....store_pc_allProduct.8148356.3.48094b97XebfnM

BTW, the Japanese in your sig is incorrect. Should be: リラックスして音楽を楽しんでください。
Your's says: Relax and look forward to the music.
So, I got these today and have been listening with them for a bit.

First, because they are deeper than the original pads, the result is a slightly higher clamping force. But that's offset a bit by how soft they are. Very nice, soft memory foam.

Second, I think these will end up being a bit warmer on the ears so if you're using them in a warm room during the summer, you might get a tad hot and sticky.

The deeper cups seem to offer a bigger soundstage and slightly deeper bass. Definitely a win there.

Not totally sure, but this might be a little bit at the expense of top ender shimmer and clarity. It's always tough to compare when it takes at least 5 minutes to change the pads and listen again.

Having said that, I don't feel like I'm lacking anything with these pads. In fact, the opposite. I'm really liking them. And for $15, I can say they're definitely worth it.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #3,818 of 4,255
Weird story here.

Came from AD700x and bought refurbished Sundara. It sounded amazing, definitely an step up, but I had to return it because it was faulty (vibration in one of the cups). I planed to buy it again in the future, in the meantime I used 598cs, 598sr, lagoon and 681EVO: mid centric, warmish, V shaped (with emphasis on bass) and very warm.

Received the Sundara again just now... and it sounded ridiculously bright. I'm a bit tired today and I know for experience that has some influence on treble perception. But damn, the difference between my impressions today and the memories I have from when I tried it weeks ago... it's huge.

Will say it responds amazing to EQ, way better than AD700x. Shelfs to boost bass and tame treble result in just that, change in tonality but same clarity or instrument separation. Not sure if I'll keep it though, I like my headphones to be enjoyble without EQ. Let see how burn in works out in the coming days (burn in=adaptation from myself).

May 14, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #3,819 of 4,255
If anyone with the Sundara is considering the Mojo 2, all I can say is DO IT!

I've always really enjoyed the Sundara, but had to use an EQ bass shelf in Peace to dial my preferred sound signature when I was using my XDuoo XD-05 BAL amp. Unfortunately, I didn't appreciate the slight degradation in overall sound quality I experienced with the addition of EQ.

Mojo 2 absolutely eliminates that issue. The EQ on this unit is absolutely stellar and really transforms the Sundara for me.

I was considering upgrading to the EXS, but now I'm not so sure. I may save up for the Arya or go with the Ananda instead (knowing I can dial in the bass to my preference on that headphone too).

I always buy second-hand, so it will all depend on what becomes available on my local used marketplace and what kind of deal I can get.

May 15, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #3,820 of 4,255
Hi Sundara lovers,
Happy with my Sundara (FAW Noir Hybrid cable and Hifiman EF400) but feeling some "upgradis"...
Love the sound (bright and crisp but not harsch and peaky - IMO).
I feel that the Sundara is my sweet spot for brightness and peaks so i'm looking for equal or less but - please😉 - not more...
Looking at the Hifiman lineup i don't know what to look for...
According to the FR ... Ananda, Aria, HE1000se ... all seems to be brightier and peakier than the Sundara (only a guess as i could not listen to those yet).
And, concerning the Ananda, it might not be a sufficient technical upgrade...
The Susvara will be the candidate but this will be - at least price speaking - going from Swatch to Rolex... and i'm not ready for this😁
So - if you're still with me - the other candidate i see is the HE1000v2. But, according to the FR, the 4k, 5k, 6-8k peaks are a bit scary... but how is it in reality? If you have/had both is the HE1000v2 really brightier and peakier than the Sundara ?
I'm not EQ as i only stream Hi-Rez with UAPP and bit perfect... Tried different EQ but prefer the sound with bit perfect... (YMMV)
So i'll appreciate any help😀
Have a good day😀

May 15, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #3,821 of 4,255
I'm not EQ as i only stream Hi-Rez with UAPP and bit perfect... Tried different EQ but prefer the sound with bit perfect... (YMMV)
So i'll appreciate any help😀
Have a good day😀
Me too. That's why I think Mojo 2 is such a game-changer. Now I can have my cake and eat it too. Stream bit-perfect to Mojo where I can apply just the right amount of bass shelf at 125Hz with zero loss in sound quality.

May 29, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #3,823 of 4,255
Hey fine folks, I just plunged into the world of Planar headphones with my purchase of the Sundara today. Arriving tomorrow. I have a handful of great dynamic driver headphones (HD600, GRADO HEMP, GRADO SR225x, B&W P5) that all have a different flavor that i enjoy. So I’m excited to see where the Sundara fits in! I’ll keep y’all posted

May 30, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #3,824 of 4,255
Have spent the last 2 hours with the Sundara. In short.. wow. My primarly open backed headphones have been my HD600 and my Grado Hemp. So I’ll be making comparisons to them.

- These headphones are so revealing. Not in revealing bad recordings, but revealing details in the mix that I haven’t noticed
- The TEXTURE of the instruments and ambient sounds in songs are WOW
- It has a very 3D/Three Dimensional sound. It’s sort of like 4K video for your ears.
- The timbre is not as realistic as true to life as my HD600, But it makes up for that in other ways
- Surprisingly this headphone is more on the FUN side of things (Similar to Hemp actually)
- More suited from modern pop/rock/metal than HD600/Hemp. I think because of the solid sub bass
- slightly brighter than neutral but i tend to lean towards that
- So yeah this headphone is a winner. HD600 for realistic vocals, and acoustic instruments, Hemp for rocking out, Sundara for vivid detail

All tests were done with Schiit Magni/Modi 3+ either with CD, or Apple Music Lossless

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #3,825 of 4,255
Have spent the last 2 hours with the Sundara. In short.. wow. My primarly open backed headphones have been my HD600 and my Grado Hemp. So I’ll be making comparisons to them.

- These headphones are so revealing. Not in revealing bad recordings, but revealing details in the mix that I haven’t noticed
- The TEXTURE of the instruments and ambient sounds in songs are WOW
- It has a very 3D/Three Dimensional sound. It’s sort of like 4K video for your ears.
- The timbre is not as realistic as true to life as my HD600, But it makes up for that in other ways
- Surprisingly this headphone is more on the FUN side of things (Similar to Hemp actually)
- More suited from modern pop/rock/metal than HD600/Hemp. I think because of the solid sub bass
- slightly brighter than neutral but i tend to lean towards that
- So yeah this headphone is a winner. HD600 for realistic vocals, and acoustic instruments, Hemp for rocking out, Sundara for vivid detail

All tests were done with Schiit Magni/Modi 3+ either with CD, or Apple Music Lossless
Especially for the 299$ right now at their official shop page. B-stock even 249$, really great value i guess. maybe because the hype now tends towards the new hifiman edition xs.

I agree that they have very good resolution/detail, but the tonality is a tad too bright for me (of course EQ helps out here).
Sundara was my first open-back hifi headphone and i was really blown,
I couldnt believe on how freakin realistic the virtual barber sounded, especially the door in the beginning! i instantly turned around 😅

After getting used to them though, the magic fades (like all things do).. still enjoying them (but not as much as when i first got them).
One thing i realized with planars is that their driver foils seem a lot more sensitive to physical impact, compared to dynamic drivers. so be careful with em.
combined with the very open design they may be even sensitive to air flowing through. one side makes soft crackling/crinkling noises sometimes when i move my head,
but is only audible when no sounds are playing..
read about that somewhere on the internet as well. if it gets worse i'll start an RMA i guess. still 1 year warranty left.

Also my Audeze lcd-1, which is planar magnetic too, developed a driver failure after a few months of use :frowning2: however i bought them used, could have been
mistreated before..

Anyways i like the sound of planar magnetics a lot for certain genres and will be much more cautious when handling them in the future.
Have fun with your new winner-headphone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back