Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Feb 16, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #3,796 of 4,250
I've been using an iFi xDSD Gryphon, but this is one of those amps where the single-ended and balanced are night-and-day. And without a balanced cable, I know I'm not taking advantage of this amp's power. So once I get a balanced cable I think I will hear more of what these headphones can do.

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #3,797 of 4,250
I've been using an iFi xDSD Gryphon, but this is one of those amps where the single-ended and balanced are night-and-day. And without a balanced cable, I know I'm not taking advantage of this amp's power. So once I get a balanced cable I think I will hear more of what these headphones can do.
Hart Audio cables. They sell a dual 3.5 mm balanced cable that terminates in XLR. You can add any interconnect you need at the end. Love their cables.

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #3,798 of 4,250
So as I said I got a replacement pair in last week. Drivers work fine and they sound great, but this copy seems very loose in the headband, where the adjustment band enters the plastic bits on either side. They feel quite wobbly and rattly in hand. I don't remember my previous pair feeling this way, I recall the headband not moving much at all.

Anyone else have this issue? Debating asking for another exchange

Mine doesn't move at all. It even seems fixed in place.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #3,799 of 4,250
thinking to buy the Hifiman Sundara for mid fi end game solution
is the schiit Magni Heresy will be a good choice amp for the Hifiman Sundara or there are better options?
my dac is Schiit Bifrost Uber.

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #3,800 of 4,250
thinking to buy the Hifiman Sundara for mid fi end game solution
is the schiit Magni Heresy will be a good choice amp for the Hifiman Sundara or there are better options?
my dac is Schiit Bifrost Uber.

I’d go for Asgard 3 - more power, not a huge investment, and really lovely sound (also visually same size as your bifrost OG). I do prefer the power from both Jot and Lyr, but that’s a serious price difference. Heresy will drive them, but you get about 50%more power from Asgard.

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #3,802 of 4,250
Hi guys,I need your help
I have to purchase a new pair of Headphone and I'm valuating amongst various models
Is Hifiman Sundara suitable for Ambient/Drone Electronic Music?
I'm referring to album like these

Tangerine Dream "Zeit", "Phaedra"
Klaus Schulze "Irrlicht", "Cyborg"
Steve Roach "Structures From Silence"
Lustmord and Robert Rich "Stalker"
Deathprod "Morals And Dogma"
Harold Budd "Pavillion Of Dreams"

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #3,803 of 4,250
Hi guys,I need your help
I have to purchase a new pair of Headphone and I'm valuating amongst various models

That’s an awesome list of artist, I enjoy similar music on the Sundara. Have not heard more expensive stuff so can’t compare, for me Sundara is ideal for all my music. Only thing I could wish for is a little bit more mids at times but the latest sundara fixed this I think.

PS - You should add 'Blood Incantation - Timewave Zero' in there

Mar 7, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #3,805 of 4,250
@Vruksha

Would you please Tell me your experiance with Elctronic music not tunz tunz (IDM,Ambient-techno,Ambient,Dark Ambient) with Your Sundara?
Do you confirm the benefit of a Wide Soundstage over narrow Soundstage in Elctronic music?
Sorry to jump in on your post with Vruksha...but here's my thoughts. I think you'd be ok with the soundstage on the Sundara's. But for electronic music, I think you'd be better off with something else. There's some decent planar bass, but nothing that really pops out at you. It does go fairly deep though. Take this with a grain of salt, because 1) I don't listen to much electronic music 2) I don't know what other headphones you have, to compare them too. I am not a basshead by any means ( I own a few Grado HP's) but I think the bass is a little lacking overall on the Sundara's. So if the electronic music you listen to is bass heavy...yea, I don't you'd be happy with the Sundara's.

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #3,806 of 4,250
Hi guys,I need your help

I, too, would not chose the Sundara for anything electronic (there are a few exceptional tracks though).
For me Sundaras are all about natural instruments and timbre. Like acoustic, classic, jazz and very much vocals.
The Sundara has lots of details and a good soundstage, also very good imaging. But, in consent with previous poster, my main complaint with EDM (music with synthetic sounds mainly) would be the Bass. Dont get me wrong, Sundara does have bass, even deep reaching. But it is just not very 'organic' sounding, not embracing. Kinda hard to explain.. I think u would understand if u had them at the same time with some good dynamic driver to compare.
For EDM, Techno, Ambient etc. i go with my Denon AH-D7200 and AKG K245 which produce a much more satisfying sound for that matter.
However the Sundaras are still my favourites HP's overall. They do something undescribale, that no others do.. But i havent heard any TOTL HP (and i dont plan to yet, i want to stay with what i have for now).

Edit: i just listened in on some of your drone music albums and they all seem to be not featuring a lot of bass. So the Sundara could be worth a try for that. but nonetheless i find sundara to be tuned too brightly for that kind of music (u can always eq though).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #3,807 of 4,250
I replaced my Sundara with HE560v4 so I can't comment on Tangerine Dream, but I remember them doing quite well with Boards of Canada, Ulrich Schnauss, Aphex Twin, Autechre, and Kraftwerk. Personally they provided just the right amount of bass for me, and the soundstage/imaging was wonderful.
However, if I'm thirsty for some serious 'thump' or 'rumble' I'd go with DT1770pro.

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #3,808 of 4,250
I, too, would not chose the Sundara for anything electronic (there are a few exceptional tracks though).
For me Sundaras are all about natural instruments and timbre. Like acoustic, classic, jazz and very much vocals.
The Sundara has lots of details and a good soundstage, also very good imaging. But, in consent with previous poster, my main complaint with EDM (music with synthetic sounds mainly) would be the Bass. Dont get me wrong, Sundara does have bass, even deep reaching. But it is just not very 'organic' sounding, not embracing. Kinda hard to explain.. I think u would understand if u had them at the same time with some good dynamic driver to compare.
For EDM, Techno, Ambient etc. i go with my Denon AH-D7200 and AKG K245 which produce a much more satisfying sound for that matter.
However the Sundaras are still my favourites HP's overall. They do something undescribale, that no others do.. But i havent heard any TOTL HP (and i dont plan to yet, i want to stay with what i have for now).

Edit: i just listened in on some of your drone music albums and they all seem to be not featuring a lot of bass. So the Sundara could be worth a try for that. but nonetheless i find sundara to be tuned too brightly for that kind of music (u can always eq though).
Can agree. I listen to hardstyle and it's nowhere near as enjoyable in my car. xD EDM is definitely not the Sundara's strong point. Have only EQ'd to the Harmon Curve. Will be glad to give my thoughts after my Asgard 3 comes in, but on laptop's DAC, hardstyle is pretty wack. =/ However, worship music is phenomenal and females voices aren't as shouty to me. So that's a compromise I'm willing to take over a lack of bass.

Mar 19, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #3,810 of 4,250
Can anyone recommend pads that would add more body and warmth to the Sundara? The Sundara is a bit too cold for me.
I just picked up these from aliexpress but haven't received them yet. I'll let you know when I get them and have a chance to listen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400....store_pc_allProduct.8148356.3.48094b97XebfnM

BTW, the Japanese in your sig is incorrect. Should be: リラックスして音楽を楽しんでください。
Your's says: Relax and look forward to the music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back