Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jan 30, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #3,782 of 4,255
Hey,

I got the Sundaras today and drive them with a Qudelix 5K and want to change the cable to a balanced 2.5mm one.

Can somebody recommend a fairly cheap and good cable?

Thanks.
If you can wait a couple of weeks, I have been using this cable from Lunashops/EachDIY with my Sundara's for over a month and think they are great. $40 for 3 meters and you can choose your preferrred source/music connector.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-sundara-he400i-upgraded-around-500.860413/post-16745829

Have a joyful evening

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #3,783 of 4,255
Hey,

I have the Sundaras for a couple of days now and I'm quite happy with them.

Only thing is, sometimes I miss some bass. I tried several auto eq presets for the Sundara (oratory and crinacle) in the Qudelix app but I didn't like them at all.

Has anybody an idea how to set the eq when I want some more bass and impact that doesn't effect the overall sound?

I tried it on my own but never was satisfied with the results.

Edit: I'm using now the bass booster preset in the Quedlix app and I'm quite happy with it.

Just a quick question because I don't have any experiences in using an eq.

In the settings the headroom os set to 0 dB and and the pre gain also to 0 dB.

Is this right or should I change anything? I made two screenshots.

IMG_0203.PNGIMG_0204.PNG

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #3,784 of 4,255
Hey,

I have the Sundaras for a couple of days now and I'm quite happy with them.

Only thing is, sometimes I miss some bass. I tried several auto eq presets for the Sundara (oratory and crinacle) in the Qudelix app but I didn't like them at all.

Has anybody an idea how to set the eq when I want some more bass and impact that doesn't effect the overall sound?

I tried it on my own but never was satisfied with the results.

Edit: I'm using now the bass booster preset in the Quedlix app and I'm quite happy with it.

Just a quick question because I don't have any experiences in using an eq.

In the settings the headroom os set to 0 dB and and the pre gain also to 0 dB.

Is this right or should I change anything? I made two screenshots.

IMG_0203.PNGIMG_0204.PNG
I'm using this
1644492929073.png

Feb 12, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #3,785 of 4,255
So I just got a new Sundara replacement from HiFiMan NY office as the pair I bought a little over a month ago was having driver cutout issues. The box I received for the new one is a slightly green color, while the box from my original purchase is black. The new green box has English text on the back, my old black box has Chinese.

Any difference between the black and green box? Or is it just a regional box color thing?

Feb 12, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #3,787 of 4,255
So I just got a new Sundara replacement from HiFiMan NY office as the pair I bought a little over a month ago was having driver cutout issues. The box I received for the new one is a slightly green color, while the box from my original purchase is black. The new green box has English text on the back, my old black box has Chinese.

Any difference between the black and green box? Or is it just a regional box color thing?
It’s a box… Won’t affect the sound.😂 Edit: probably new packaging for the states. Smart move, if so… and just funnin’.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #3,789 of 4,255

The old Arya box was greenish, the Stealth Magnets Arya box is more black. But the tell tale sign is the big stealth magnets sticker on the Arya box and the different driver specs between the two versions.

Not to start a rumour but it feels like only a matter of time before Sundys get Stealth Mags.

If no stealth magnet sticker and no difference in the driver specs (ohms, sensitivity) to what is generally advertised the for the Sundara, then it's probably just a box...

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #3,791 of 4,255
Got my Sundara today, but it has a couple of issues.

One, there is a tiny crackling noise on the left driver, like plastic getting wrinkled. And two, it distorts a lot when pushed. Not gonna listen at such volumes, but I wonder if this is an indication of a faulty driver (apart from issue one) or the source is not good enough (Tempotec Sonata Pro plus 15$ chifi portable amp from Aliexpress).

Any Help?

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #3,792 of 4,255
I would say faulty driver. I just had my pair replaced last week, had them exactly a month and started getting intermittent driver cutout issues. Their support is awesome and will get you sorted quickly.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #3,793 of 4,255
I would say faulty driver. I just had my pair replaced last week, had them exactly a month and started getting intermittent driver cutout issues. Their support is awesome and will get you sorted quickly.
So as I said I got a replacement pair in last week. Drivers work fine and they sound great, but this copy seems very loose in the headband, where the adjustment band enters the plastic bits on either side. They feel quite wobbly and rattly in hand. I don't remember my previous pair feeling this way, I recall the headband not moving much at all.

Anyone else have this issue? Debating asking for another exchange

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #3,794 of 4,255
I got the Sundara today and I'd been wavering between them and the 400i 2020. The latter is half the price and from what I can remember of the 400i, they seem pretty similar (I've heard the 400i a little while ago, but it's been a while and I don't have them side by side to test). Maybe I need a better amp to properly test these though.

Plus the 400i seems to be hard to find now. In either case, the Sundara seems like a really good deal considering that they were refreshed in 2020 and the price has been lowered. I think I'll stick with these and test them out more in the coming days. :) They sound unbelievable with acoustic music.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #3,795 of 4,255
I got the Sundara today and I'd been wavering between them and the 400i 2020. The latter is half the price and from what I can remember of the 400i, they seem pretty similar (I've heard the 400i a little while ago, but it's been a while and I don't have them side by side to test). Maybe I need a better amp to properly test these though.

Plus the 400i seems to be hard to find now. In either case, the Sundara seems like a really good deal considering that they were refreshed in 2020 and the price has been lowered. I think I'll stick with these and test them out more in the coming days. :) They sound unbelievable with acoustic music.
What amp are you using? I found they do better with a little more power, than say from a DAP or a mobile phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back