Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #3,273 of 4,250
And about where to buy them in Europe ? any idea ?
you can simply buy them on their shop. https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/sundara.html.
They have a European wharehouse, so when you place your order make it clear you want a shipment from Europe only to avoid customs clearance fees. That worked for me.

Some weeks ago the HIFIMAN29 code got me 29$ off also, maybe anyone here knows, if the code is still valid, or if there are other discount codes available?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #3,274 of 4,250
sundara soundstage extends to across the dining room table and changing pads can give you super wide soundstage and completely make then unusable the pad tuning cannot be beaten so don't even try.
Not sure I'm reading this comment correctly, but I figure I'll lay out my situation and see if I can get any advice (from anyone reading this):

I just upgraded to the Sundara from the HE-400i 2020s a few days ago. With the HE-400i, I used the Brainwavz angled oval sheepskin pads and was quite happy with them. For the Sundara, based on the photos I've seen (and from the fact that I purchased them this month), it looks like I have the more recent maybe-kinda-revised pads. So my question is whether the new Sundara pads are considered to be great, or if I should consider using my Brainwavz pads. I realize the ultimate answer is "try them and see what you prefer, duh," but I wanted to see what the prevailing opinion here is because I haven't had much of a chance yet to play with the phones yet. Thanks!

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #3,275 of 4,250
Not sure I'm reading this comment correctly, but I figure I'll lay out my situation and see if I can get any advice (from anyone reading this):

I just upgraded to the Sundara from the HE-400i 2020s a few days ago. With the HE-400i, I used the Brainwavz angled oval sheepskin pads and was quite happy with them. For the Sundara, based on the photos I've seen (and from the fact that I purchased them this month), it looks like I have the more recent maybe-kinda-revised pads. So my question is whether the new Sundara pads are considered to be great, or if I should consider using my Brainwavz pads. I realize the ultimate answer is "try them and see what you prefer, duh," but I wanted to see what the prevailing opinion here is because I haven't had much of a chance yet to play with the phones yet. Thanks!
When it comes to the Sundara the ultimate answer is "don't even try", lol
Seriously, swapped pads in all my previous headphones with interesting / good results every time. With the Sundara in the other hand it is always pure garbage, that is my experience and it matches what i see others reporting as well.
The stock pads are the perfect pads, the only real upgrade i think are the Dekini pads, these will not change your sound signature but will improve comfort and durability.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-elite-hybrid-earpads-for-select-hifiman-headphones/

I personally don't think it is worth the investment though.

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #3,276 of 4,250

No, use stock pads with sundara, don't even try anything else I have used both size brainwavz pads XL and regular, perforated, Pleather, lambskin, red, white etc you get the point, 3 beyerdynamics, hifiman velour HE pads and even Focuspad-A which are the closest thing, nothing is even close to stock no matter how it looks or materials not even focuspad-A and the sound of none of them is even close to good, without palipads/stock pads sundara is as useful as a wild horse

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #3,277 of 4,250
When it comes to the Sundara the ultimate answer is "don't even try", lol
Seriously, swapped pads in all my previous headphones with interesting / good results every time. With the Sundara in the other hand it is always pure garbage, that is my experience and it matches what i see others reporting as well.
The stock pads are the perfect pads, the only real upgrade i think are the Dekini pads, these will not change your sound signature but will improve comfort and durability.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-elite-hybrid-earpads-for-select-hifiman-headphones/

I personally don't think it is worth the investment though.
80 bucks steep, yeah just stick with stock IMO unless it's not comfy... weird they dont change SS at all, sundara is literally witchcraft

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #3,279 of 4,250
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #3,281 of 4,250
yeah I have like 10 headphones man not going to eq anything not trying to be a douchenozzle but for a lot of people that is the reality of it I know I could set up profiles and stuff and for the thousands I paid I get the most but i'd literally rather get that $150 schiit thingy
Completely understandable. But its always good to have a free alternative for us that have tighter wallets.

Besides, 15 minutes from scratch or just 2 minutes if you already have peace set up is pretty reasonable for better sq than an external bass boost switch.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #3,282 of 4,250
Completely understandable. But its always good to have a free alternative for us that have tighter wallets.

Besides, 15 minutes from scratch or just 2 minutes if you already have peace set up is pretty reasonable for better sq than an external bass boost switch.
I have the Hipdac with Xbass switch but i found it too much of a boost. I'm happy with APO with +1.5db 100hz low shelf and a +2db 28hz peak boost...

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #3,283 of 4,250
yeah I have like 10 headphones man not going to eq anything not trying to be a douchenozzle but for a lot of people that is the reality of it I know I could set up profiles and stuff and for the thousands I paid I get the most but i'd literally rather get that $150 schiit thingy
To each their own, but, for my personal set up, it only takes a few minutes to set up UAPP's parametric EQ with the AutoEQ settings for a new pair of headphones. And I've also got headphone amplifiers, anyway (no bass boost function on them, though).

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #3,284 of 4,250
To each their own, but, for my personal set up, it only takes a few minutes to set up UAPP's parametric EQ with the AutoEQ settings for a new pair of headphones. And I've also got headphone amplifiers, anyway (no bass boost function on them, though).
Same for me, i currently have 4 headphones, each one has a EQ APO preset, does not take me even 30 seconds to select the right profile when i change headphones.
Honestly, i think everyone who owns a Sundara already have a somewhat decent amp, that is granted.
To me the biggest improvement there is for the Sundara is a good custom EQ, specially a low shelf to boost low frequencies.
But yeah, to each their own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back