Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 10, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #3,257 of 4,255
Interesting. A genuine question as I really don't know - what part of the Harman target messes with female vocals?
Just seems to become a little too hot most of the time, so a combination of targeting that frequency response with a given driver/enclosure setup. I'm not super across that, but even then Harman is basically built for closed backs, so that's another consideration.

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #3,258 of 4,255
@jasswolf I played around with Oratory1990's eq for a bit and that preset basically converts the Sundara to a harman tuned headphone. Harman definitely sounds warmer than stock sundara (old pads) which is comparatively thinner sounding.

That said, Harman does boost vocals a bit too much imo. I prefer Inearfideality's (crinacle) target curve which is basically a less vocal emphasized harman curve.

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #3,259 of 4,255
Damn, i just confirmed my left driver is louder than my right driver. I was suspicious before but i was enjoying these so much i never bothered checking.
I used my cellphone's db meter app, placed the left cup over the mic and it measured 44db constantly during pink noise, the right driver measures 41db constantly.
Just emailed their customer support about it :frowning2:

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #3,262 of 4,255
Hi Guys, I m on the market for a planar and I've started to seriously consider the Sundara! Are there any other options in the 500ish € budget ? Also would I decide to go ahead with the sundaras any advice on where to buy them online in Europe ? I've seen the official website delivers to Europe, but I guess you get to pay extra for customs...

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #3,263 of 4,255
Hi Guys, I m on the market for a planar and I've started to seriously consider the Sundara! Are there any other options in the 500ish € budget ? Also would I decide to go ahead with the sundaras any advice on where to buy them online in Europe ? I've seen the official website delivers to Europe, but I guess you get to pay extra for customs...
Monoprice M1060, M1060c, M570(clone of sendy aiva $600 headphone)
Argon Mk3
DAN CLARK AUDIO AEON OPEN X HEADPHONES

Go for the sundara if you want natural sounding(sounds like your not even wearing headphones)

cheers and goodluck

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #3,264 of 4,255
Monoprice M1060, M1060c, M570(clone of sendy aiva $600 headphone)
Argon Mk3
DAN CLARK AUDIO AEON OPEN X HEADPHONES

Go for the sundara if you want natural sounding(sounds like your not even wearing headphones)

cheers and goodluck

Thanks for the answer! You've given me a headache, so many comparisons to find now ! Truth be told only the Hifimans and Monoprices seem easy to find in europe. Any good comparison ? Soundstage, imaging and clear details is really what I aim for. (I own a dt990 pro, too bright for me, a HD650, sounds great but soundstage is a bit too narrow for me)

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #3,265 of 4,255
Thanks for the answer! You've given me a headache, so many comparisons to find now ! Truth be told only the Hifimans and Monoprices seem easy to find in europe. Any good comparison ? Soundstage, imaging and clear details is really what I aim for. (I own a dt990 pro, too bright for me, a HD650, sounds great but soundstage is a bit too narrow for me)
sundara soundstage extends to across the dining room table and changing pads can give you super wide soundstage and completely make then unusable the pad tuning cannot be beaten so don't even try. Look into 1060 vs 1060C with open back mod, also checkout the M570 as it's $200USD here can't say much about it as I don't know but for that price I might end up just buying them

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #3,266 of 4,255
TBH sounds like you want DT1990 forget planars, soundstage, detail, and imaging. I own DT990 too before you buy anything I recommend you buy $10 hifiman velour pads it's pretty good modded to the point I ripped up a pair of $50 focuspad-A from hifiman and put them on, the $10 route is about 80-90% as good and I consider my modded DT990 on par with Sundara and maybe even DT1990 as far as what I want to listen to, stopped me from selling them

here is a review I wrote
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sun...iew-or-how-i-made-my-dt990-way-better.955014/

Attachments

• menage a trois.jpg
    menage a trois.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #3,268 of 4,255
sundara soundstage extends to across the dining room table and changing pads can give you super wide soundstage and completely make then unusable the pad tuning cannot be beaten so don't even try. Look into 1060 vs 1060C with open back mod, also checkout the M570 as it's $200USD here can't say much about it as I don't know but for that price I might end up just buying them
I'll try this with my 990 600ohms! Still I'd really want to try the planar bass! Sundara is a good buy then?

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,269 of 4,255
I'll try this with my 990 600ohms! Still I'd really want to try the planar bass! Sundara is a good buy then?
Sundara is amazing I gave it to my grandma and she cried so I let her keep it, I might even buy another but for the best imaging and soundstage it is not what you are looking for, maybe if you explain why you want planar I could help, otherwise I am sure with the M1060/1060C w/OB you can get something closer to what you listed and I am sure others can help you with planar recommends closer to what you described. Either way if you purchase Sundara I am sure you will be happy.

I get you wanting to try planars though I bought Sundara for that reason (or at least listed it on the vote) but again it's just not what you described besides maybe the detailing/resolution.

Bass on the Sundara is like movie theater bass, it's not there until you need it and then it's there is full force, it's not a very bass heavy headphone for music unless you feed it A LOT of power or EQ it, please please please checkout the M1060C OB mod and the regular M1060 for reviews

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back