Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 23, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #3,289 of 4,255
Hi guys,

Thinking of buying Sundara. So what would be the good amp for them? I'm in europe so Schiit is not available. I need to choose between Topping, S.M.S.L.?

Thanks!
I think both of those choices may be a little on the sterile side for the Sundara. I really enjoy my Sundara on the Little Dot 1+ with updated tubes. The tubes add a nice bit of warmth that matches the neutral presentation of the Sundara perfectly to my ears. I know you said Schiit is out, but I also love the Sundaras on the Schiit Lyra. I good tube hybrid amp or warmer solid state is a good match for the Sundaras.

Mar 24, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #3,292 of 4,255
When it comes to the Sundara the ultimate answer is "don't even try", lol
Seriously, swapped pads in all my previous headphones with interesting / good results every time. With the Sundara in the other hand it is always pure garbage, that is my experience and it matches what i see others reporting as well.
The stock pads are the perfect pads, the only real upgrade i think are the Dekini pads, these will not change your sound signature but will improve comfort and durability.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-elite-hybrid-earpads-for-select-hifiman-headphones/

I personally don't think it is worth the investment though.
I have big ears that press against the inside of the ear cup with the stock pads, which gets extremely uncomfortable after a while. I replaced them with Brainwavz XL earpads (30mm depth) which are perfect from a comfort perspective, but they basically ruined the sound as you said. The Dekoni pads (23mm) are even more shallow than the stock pads (25mm) so I don't think I can use them. Do you have any pad recommendations that are comfortable for people with big ears but don't completely ruin the sound?

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #3,293 of 4,255
I have big ears that press against the inside of the ear cup with the stock pads, which gets extremely uncomfortable after a while. I replaced them with Brainwavz XL earpads (30mm depth) which are perfect from a comfort perspective, but they basically ruined the sound as you said. The Dekoni pads (23mm) are even more shallow than the stock pads (25mm) so I don't think I can use them. Do you have any pad recommendations that are comfortable for people with big ears but don't completely ruin the sound?
You are not listening, the answer is a hard no.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #3,294 of 4,255
If you like the Sundara's sound signature, but want a bigger pad/ear cup, you may want to try the Ananda. I've read they have a similar but more refined sound of the Sundara while having the larger ear shaped cup and pads. They are on my short list of next cans to try.

Mar 24, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #3,295 of 4,255
^With the most recent pad revision it’s the other way around. The Sundara is the most refined sounding of the family (Sundara, Ananda and Arya). If you want something brighter with more ‘sparkle’ up top, then the Ananda is a safe bet. If you want something even brighter yet, the Arya comes in handy👌

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #3,297 of 4,255
I got the Dekoni pads and it turns out they are a big improvement in comfort over the stock pads. Although they are the same thickness the memory foam is firmer so it doesn't get squashed down as much.
not sure why you quoted me as a told you so I doubt others will agree that pads made for the entire HE series won't completely affect the Sundara sound but I also doubt most people will spend $60 on replacement pads to find out, quote them and ask them to find out or I assume it has changed the sound since that is what we were talking about.

Mar 27, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #3,298 of 4,255
not sure why you quoted me as a told you so I doubt others will agree that pads made for the entire HE series won't completely affect the Sundara sound but I also doubt most people will spend $60 on replacement pads to find out, quote them and ask them to find out or I assume it has changed the sound since that is what we were talking about.
my bad the hybrids are $70 not $60 which is 25.9% of the lowest total cost @ $270 open box with coupon code I have seen them for that money I sure hope it makes the sound somehow better or keeps it exactly the same interested to hear how it sounds for that much

Mar 27, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #3,299 of 4,255
my bad the hybrids are $70 not $60 which is 25.9% of the lowest total cost @ $270 open box with coupon code I have seen them for that money I sure hope it makes the sound somehow better or keeps it exactly the same interested to hear how it sounds for that much
For me it was a £140 DAC + £140 amp + £300 headphones. Dekoni pads were £60 so they were 9.37% of the overall cost, it made sense for me as comfort is important. Sound is similar to the stock pads as expected.

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #3,300 of 4,255
For me it was a £140 DAC + £140 amp + £300 headphones. Dekoni pads were £60 so they were 9.37% of the overall cost, it made sense for me as comfort is important. Sound is similar to the stock pads as expected.
I'm glad that you think that but since you never gave any description of the actual pads or sound I guess we will never know. I have however tried Focuspad-A which are also hybrids, made by Hifiman for the 560 that look exactly the same as the Sundara's and they changed the sound drastically so I remain skeptical until I hear from another party, feel free to actually post which pads you bought though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back