Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Jun 9, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #2,461 of 4,255
Why not Magni 3+ instead of Heresy?
Hersey is red -- a color of choice for us women. Those two implement very different technology but somehow sound very similar according to a reviewer. I am gong to grab a Hersey as soon as it becomes available in Europa. Amir @ ASR reviewed both and seems to prefer Hersey over 3+.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #2,462 of 4,255
I got some angled sheepskin pads to try on my Sundara. They look very well made and came with the plastic ring attached. I took off one of the stock pads and that was the beginning of a very unpleasant experience. There was no way I could get the new pad to lock in place. The problem is the lack of any lateral movement in the Sundara driver. Very difficult to get a position so the driver is clear for the installation. The new pad is thick, much thicker than the stock pads. After an hour of attempting to install the new pad I gave up and replaced the original pad (which went on with a minimum of effort). The point here is the thick sheepskin pads are not worth the investment unless you have far better patience and skills than I have. If anyone here has succeeded at this I would love to know your secret. The farthest I could get with this was to latch 3 of the 4 tabs. That 4th tab just would not slip into a locked position no matter which tab I started with. Never even tried the second driver. No point in even attempting it unless I could latch the first one in place.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #2,463 of 4,255
I got some angled sheepskin pads to try on my Sundara. They look very well made and came with the plastic ring attached. I took off one of the stock pads and that was the beginning of a very unpleasant experience. There was no way I could get the new pad to lock in place. The problem is the lack of any lateral movement in the Sundara driver. Very difficult to get a position so the driver is clear for the installation. The new pad is thick, much thicker than the stock pads. After an hour of attempting to install the new pad I gave up and replaced the original pad (which went on with a minimum of effort). The point here is the thick sheepskin pads are not worth the investment unless you have far better patience and skills than I have. If anyone here has succeeded at this I would love to know your secret. The farthest I could get with this was to latch 3 of the 4 tabs. That 4th tab just would not slip into a locked position no matter which tab I started with. Never even tried the second driver. No point in even attempting it unless I could latch the first one in place.

Try this:

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #2,464 of 4,255
Hersey is red -- a color of choice for us women. Those two implement very different technology but somehow sound very similar according to a reviewer. I am gong to grab a Hersey as soon as it becomes available in Europa. Amir @ ASR reviewed both and seems to prefer Hersey over 3+.

Of course he did.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #2,465 of 4,255
Did anyone else's Sundara come with a cosmetic defect? I just opened mine and noticed the paint is quite a bit chipped on one of the ear cups. I'm not sure if this is normal or if it's something worth complaining about and asking for a replacement?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #2,466 of 4,255
Try this:

Thanks but I viewed that video more than once. You will notice in the video they are using a Hifiman that has lateral movement in the ear cups so they can be laid flat for insertion. No such luck with the Sundara. That make it much harder but I think it is that fact combined with the thickness of the pads that complicates this application. Since my post I tried again and failed. I would note that the original pads which are much thinner come off and go back on with little difficulty. I think the very thick pads are just too much for the Sundara (or my skill level).

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #2,468 of 4,255
Anyone got any recommendations for a closed back headphone to complement the sundara, looking for a different sound signature and currently considering one of the Fostex X00 variants
The Fostex TH xeries or the EMU Teak would be good closed-backs that are more "fun" sounding because of their V-shaped signature I would say. You could also consider the Elegia but they're tuned to be mid-forward from what I've read and probably pricier than the Fostex cans.

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #2,469 of 4,255
Did anyone else's Sundara come with a cosmetic defect? I just opened mine and noticed the paint is quite a bit chipped on one of the ear cups. I'm not sure if this is normal or if it's something worth complaining about and asking for a replacement?
Hi there,

Can you please email us at customerservice@hifiman.com with the photos of your headphones so that we can look into what’s happened and to see how we can help?

Thank you!

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 12, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #2,471 of 4,255
The Fostex TH xeries or the EMU Teak would be good closed-backs that are more "fun" sounding because of their V-shaped signature I would say. You could also consider the Elegia but they're tuned to be mid-forward from what I've read and probably pricier than the Fostex cans.
Agreed on this, those Fostex/EMUs are great. I have an EMU with Ebony cups myself and they sound great. Something to bear in mind though, they’re not fully closed.

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #2,473 of 4,255
how are the voices? are they as forward as the hifiman he400i?
Doubt it. Based on their graphs, the 400i has a higher spike at 7k - 10k than the Sundara. From there, the Sundara is still bright-leaning, but is less forward with vocals and instruments in that same region.

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #2,474 of 4,255

Dekoni pads? I just changed out my Sundara pads a few weeks ago and it was indeed a PITA. No tips I'm afraid. I just kept at it and it took me around 10 minutes of fiddling around to get them on.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #2,475 of 4,255
Dekoni pads? I just changed out my Sundara pads a few weeks ago and it was indeed a PITA. No tips I'm afraid. I just kept at it and it took me around 10 minutes of fiddling around to get them on.
No these were some pads off ebay. They were a bit over $40. I returned them today. They look very well made but are too thick for Sundara. They probably work with HE models.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back