Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Apr 16, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,756 of 4,255
Hm, maybe Hifiman managed to fix the issues? Still a risky bet, as much as I love the Sundara, specially considering I live in Brazil, if the Sundara fails... maybe the He-560 is a better option.

The Verum is promissing, I'm really liking it by the reviews. My only issue is how big it is, almost 500g, also using a forwarding company to evade Brazil's customs is going to be trickier and more expensive (importng fee is 60% of the product value). If the headphone is located in USA it's easier for me.

Anyway thanks for the help people, I'll keep searching, I added the Verum to my list.
Currently its: Verum, Argon/T60, He-560, 1060C. And maybe if I find used: Aeon Flow, Elex, DT1990, LCD-2.

Verum needs something really strong for you to drive it, it has really low impedance and makes most sources go to current clipping

DT1990 and Sundy are both promising. I'd lean more towards Sundy, I know quite a few people who were using DT1990 before getting Sundy and they liked Sundy quite a bit more. I personally find both to be good...

Sundy takes a beating well in my experience, like literally, I bring Sundy almost anywhere and they are a real champ, no issues whatsoever, Dust, Mist, Rain, Snow, Sundy goes strong :)

Sundy is like my to-go headphone when I go out at the moment, I want open back and I want something I am not afraid to beat, and Sundy is the answer most of times. I could take Thror out, but Sundy is a touch lighter and I just end up taking Sundy most of times, even though I have a huge collection by now. I am also happy beyond imagination with the sound of Sundy, especially when driving it from QLS QA361 (using it a bit lately, pairs nicely with Sundy)

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,757 of 4,255
I think this. As a 400i owner I'm considering the Verum1, which seems to hit above it's price point. I've considered the Koss 950/95x MD and MD Edition XX but the price is quite steep and from the early reports, the driver isn't the same as some of the $1000+ HFM headphones, custom massdrop driver or something, so for 699 think they are that's still steep price. Not sure how much you'd pay for the Sundara, but again, from what I've read, don't recall the specifics but the Sundara never seemed like an interesting upgrade, maybe because of its 499 initial price...

thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/verum-audio-exciting-high-performance-diy-planar.887175/ and for my sake and other's, mentions of sundara:

omniweltall

franz12

omniweltall

From Rank your own headphones:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rank-the-headphones-that-you-own.109756/page-427#post-14624933

Ok there's not so many comparisons, and like last one ranks it between a Seen 600 & 650, and below HE-500, so... hmmm...

I agree that Verum is really nice, but I do not think that it performs much better than Sundy at ear bleeding volumes, and I do think that it is much more picky with the source. If both the Verum and Sundy are driven from Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, a true flagship Headphone DAC/AMP, then they both have great dynamics. Sundy from entry-level sources doesn't have the dynamics it has with a flagship source, while Verum from entry-level sources goes into current clipping at loud volumes.

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #1,758 of 4,255
Hi there,

Thank you for your interest in HIFIMAN. We have fixed the problem you mentioned. Also, we will have one year warranty for the headphones, if you have any problem, please feel free to email us at customerservice@hifiman.com, we will be at your service.

April

I see, thank you for clarifying, I guess the Sundara is back on the list.

Verum needs something really strong for you to drive it, it has really low impedance and makes most sources go to current clipping

DT1990 and Sundy are both promising. I'd lean more towards Sundy, I know quite a few people who were using DT1990 before getting Sundy and they liked Sundy quite a bit more. I personally find both to be good...

Sundy takes a beating well in my experience, like literally, I bring Sundy almost anywhere and they are a real champ, no issues whatsoever, Dust, Mist, Rain, Snow, Sundy goes strong :)

Sundy is like my to-go headphone when I go out at the moment, I want open back and I want something I am not afraid to beat, and Sundy is the answer most of times. I could take Thror out, but Sundy is a touch lighter and I just end up taking Sundy most of times, even though I have a huge collection by now. I am also happy beyond imagination with the sound of Sundy, especially when driving it from QLS QA361 (using it a bit lately, pairs nicely with Sundy)

Yeah the Verum should be harder to drive and also harder to get, but I'm interested in it's warmer signature compared to the Sundara.
Do you know why these people liked the Sundara more vs the DT1990? What was the reason?

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #1,759 of 4,255
I see, thank you for clarifying, I guess the Sundara is back on the list.

Yeah the Verum should be harder to drive and also harder to get, but I'm interested in it's warmer signature compared to the Sundara.
Do you know why these people liked the Sundara more vs the DT1990? What was the reason?

I personally liked both the much, DT1990 should be considerably more expensive than Sundy though...

I think that it had to do with both the comfort, as Sundy is really comfy, and the sound, DT1990 is a touch dry, which makes them a bit too hard on the edges for some. I tend to like that, but Sundy is a bit more wet / splashy in general, this makes Sundy easier to listen to. Sundy may also be a touch more emotional, female voices are a touch more emphasized in a sweet way, although it is a bit less warm.

With Verum, it is warm and nice, thick-ish, and beautifully well done. You wouldn't believe how many Verum One's are being ordered to Romania because people heard it in one of our meetings (my unit). I love the Verum One Sound as well. The main issue with the verum is low impedance, basically for entry-level AMPs, it feels like shorting the AMP because they don't have enough of a resistance, it basically cuts the sound on most smartphones, and even on most of my portables... Simply put, headphone AMPs are not designed for really low impedances and really high volumes. I would suggest Verum One only for desktop AMPs, My Mtek Brooklyn DAC+ can do it, but entry-level stuff can't... Problematic to recommend them easily to anyone because of that :)

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #1,760 of 4,255
I personally liked both the much, DT1990 should be considerably more expensive than Sundy though...

I think that it had to do with both the comfort, as Sundy is really comfy, and the sound, DT1990 is a touch dry, which makes them a bit too hard on the edges for some. I tend to like that, but Sundy is a bit more wet / splashy in general, this makes Sundy easier to listen to. Sundy may also be a touch more emotional, female voices are a touch more emphasized in a sweet way, although it is a bit less warm.

With Verum, it is warm and nice, thick-ish, and beautifully well done. You wouldn't believe how many Verum One's are being ordered to Romania because people heard it in one of our meetings (my unit). I love the Verum One Sound as well. The main issue with the verum is low impedance, basically for entry-level AMPs, it feels like shorting the AMP because they don't have enough of a resistance, it basically cuts the sound on most smartphones, and even on most of my portables... Simply put, headphone AMPs are not designed for really low impedances and really high volumes. I would suggest Verum One only for desktop AMPs, My Mtek Brooklyn DAC+ can do it, but entry-level stuff can't... Problematic to recommend them easily to anyone because of that :)

I think I'll like the Sundara a little more than the DT1990. I love the Sennheiser signature, I'd like something a little smoother, even better if slight warm. That's why the Verum would be nice but I wanted to buy an amp around $100 like the JDS Atom, I think it might not be enough for the Verum.

I have a little impedance adapter that can increase impedance to about 75 ohms. I wonder if it would help with the Verum.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNU-3-5mm...r-Hi-Fi-player-AMP-DAC-Earphone-/380932180092

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #1,761 of 4,255
Apr 16, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #1,762 of 4,255
That adapter is for high impedance headphones. Verum is very low impedance headphone, and you should not use that adapter.

I see, thank you Silver, but then what this adapter does exactly? If I use it with a high impedance headphone it will lower it's impedance? Is that even possible?

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #1,763 of 4,255
I got my Sundara's a few days ago. I like them! They sound great. Ive tried them with my Atom, Monoprice 788 , 789, Creative ZxR and oppo 205.

They sound great with all of them.

oZF2jS.jpg

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,765 of 4,255
How's this sundara compare Oppo PM-2 is this better or side grade (same sound signature) ?

Depends a lot on what you're looking for.

PM-2 has more natural midrange, a touch sweeter

Sundara has better depth and bass impact, better instrument separation and overall soundstage, and better overall detail

I had very little time with PM-2 though, so those are based on short impressions, but this is why the two felt at that time, when I compared them

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,766 of 4,255
Depends a lot on what you're looking for.

PM-2 has more natural midrange, a touch sweeter

Sundara has better depth and bass impact, better instrument separation and overall soundstage, and better overall detail

I had very little time with PM-2 though, so those are based on short impressions, but this is why the two felt at that time, when I compared them

Looking for more relaxing sound signature

Ok then, but which one more bright/smoth, i sensitive to treble, im not looking for bass heavier cans, do u think its smoothier than the oppo on treble side ? Do u think sundara more relaxing one (sound sig) ?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #1,767 of 4,255
Looking for more relaxing sound signature

Ok then, but which one more bright/smoth, i sensitive to treble, im not looking for bass heavier cans, do u think its smoothier than the oppo on treble side ? Do u think sundara more relaxing one (sound sig) ?

Both are neutral-ish overall, but Sundara has smoother treble, they have a softer overall treble, easier to listen to. In fact, Sundara has one of my favorite trebles in the entry-level range, they are not smooth in general, just a touch soft so it doesn't come off as hard or harsh. Overall, Sundara can be enjoyed, but also has enough sparkle to be engaging. If you feel your headphones are too bright or harsh, you can also try pairing them with a source with a smoother top end, like FiiO X5-3 or Chord Mojo :)

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #1,768 of 4,255
I have not heard the Oppo PM-2, but compared to many, many headphones, such as Meze 99 Classic, iBasso SR1, SendyAudio Aiva, Audeze LCD-2.2F... Sundara performs a magic trick with its treble. It is super airy, detailed, and revealing, yet somehow also wonderfully smooth and almost relaxed. Compared to the ones I mentioned, Sundara is less bright and more organic.

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #1,769 of 4,255
Both are neutral-ish overall, but Sundara has smoother treble, they have a softer overall treble, easier to listen to. In fact, Sundara has one of my favorite trebles in the entry-level range, they are not smooth in general, just a touch soft so it doesn't come off as hard or harsh. Overall, Sundara can be enjoyed, but also has enough sparkle to be engaging. If you feel your headphones are too bright or harsh, you can also try pairing them with a source with a smoother top end, like FiiO X5-3 or Chord Mojo :)

How about HE560 then !? price almost the same

I have not heard the Oppo PM-2, but compared to many, many headphones, such as Meze 99 Classic, iBasso SR1, SendyAudio Aiva, Audeze LCD-2.2F... Sundara performs a magic trick with its treble. It is super airy, detailed, and revealing, yet somehow also wonderfully smooth and almost relaxed. Compared to the ones I mentioned, Sundara is less bright and more organic.

I had meze99 as well, my friend said instead of Sundara, he suggested HE560, what do you think !? Whats the difference between 560 and Sundara !?

Apr 22, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #1,770 of 4,255
How about HE560 then !? price almost the same

I had meze99 as well, my friend said instead of Sundara, he suggested HE560, what do you think !? Whats the difference between 560 and Sundara !?

It has been a while since I heard HE-560, but from memory, they were more sweet, especially in the midrange. I also vaguely remember HE-560 being a bit harder to drive than Sundy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back