Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Mar 18, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,726 of 4,255
Powering these with x7s through XLR, enough power for sure. These headphones has got some great detail and separation, Jazz and strings etc sounds fantastic.

These headphones really needs some juice for them to show there full potential, crazy difference in lows when they get that extra power (+1watt).

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #1,727 of 4,255
The Sundara proves why all cans with a slightly bright tilt immensely benefit from a little planar basement love. It warms up the sound without any mud or husky notions reaching into the mids and our beloved vocals.
For me the Sundara is like an Okapi in that it feels like it’s made up of zebra, giraffe..errm planar bass, dynamic midrange and treble:p
Another way of putting it is that detail feels more rounded and edged out compared to the traditional soft and velvety planar presentation. Don’t get me wrong, the Sundara is still velvety like a salamander’s tummy, but it seems to offer some of the grunt and bite I normally associate with dynamic drivers.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #1,728 of 4,255
Mar 23, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #1,729 of 4,255
I have Adorama version 3 of He-560 with 35 ohms ( that might be some experimental run with Sundara drivers) and version 2 of He-560 (Adorama version having 45ohm).
The 35 ohm version has velvety or liquid sound, which is different from what I heard from all my previous Hifiman phones He-400/400i/5le/500/6, or He-560 V2 of Adorama that has the usual he-560 sound based on what I read from the he-560 appreciation thread.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,730 of 4,255
I have owned the Sundara's since they were first released and I love them, the only issue I have had Is with the leather peeling off the pads which is disgraceful. I'm on my third set of pads due to this issue. While I find this headphone perfect there is just one area I feel is lacking, bass, just a little bit, it lacks punch in some songs and in rock lacks some grunt. I really love everything else about this headphone especially the airy soundstage so can anyone recommend a headphone that sounds similar but even better in the bass department? The Ananda's for example? I'm half thinking of repurchasing a pair of HE4xx just for that punchy bass but feel I might end up compromising in other areas. Can someone help me out here?

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #1,731 of 4,255
Mar 25, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,732 of 4,255
Mar 25, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #1,733 of 4,255
Well I started out using the velvet pads the headphone came with. I then purchased some angled leather ones which increased the bass ever so slightly. Nowadays though I prefer the focus pads, but I would recommend the angled leather ones in a jiffy if you’re looking for some punch in the lows:)
I think they’re generally all the same pads over Aliexpress - only the prices change.
They also come attached to the plastic mounting ring, so it’s fairly easy to swap pads.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,735 of 4,255
If you want pads for the HE-500 I can't recommend the Dekoni Hybrid pads enough, but they are not cheap...

Yes, and the angled Ether Pads are supposed to be great as well but also, very expensive! I guess if I want the best I have to pay for it! I was just hoping there was some cheap, obscure AE or Ebay pad that would sound similar. Sorry to get off topic...

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #1,736 of 4,255
Earlier on I mentioned that I’d take the Sundara over the hd800, t1 and clear for something like 95% of everything I listen to. Well seeing as I currently have a loaner 800 with me I thought I’d expound a little on this subject.

I listen to music. I don’t buy albums because of productional values..although I might if it’s a release I really dig - sure I’ll opt for the best sq, of course!!
I listen to jazz - old and new - well recorded and some times old recordings that are a little rough around the edges. Hell I could say the same for most other genres I listen to be that rock, prog, pop, avant, funk, electronic, blues, hip hop etc etc.
Cutting to the Chevy Chase here..ahem..but it is rare that I come across albums where the 800’s virtues steal the show from the Sundara.
If I only listened to Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins’ Victorialand, Pat Metheny and audiophile records (Yawn!!!) the 800 would be my choice. Nothing beats the King when we’re in wafting, serene, glacier country. A sort of crystal clear effervescence that naturally comes with the 800 and sure fits the above music like hand in glove.

But...I also love The Stooges..and Captain Beefheart..and Swans and Funkadelic and Neurosis and and and...the list goes on:wink:

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #1,737 of 4,255
Mar 26, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #1,738 of 4,255
They add warmth to the presentation but that’s about it.
Personally I prefer the cleaner and leaner sounding focus pads, but that’s more because I also own the Nighthawk as well as the Ollo S4. If I want a warmtilted headphone I can do no better than those two.

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #1,739 of 4,255
Just received my Sundara and it paired beautifully with my Mojo. I'm very impressed with the smooth micro details from this headphone. I have in the past tried the HE400i and didn't like the treble peak on it and am glad I bought the Sundara instead...way better and smoother treble frequencies without losing the high extension details. On another note, I tried pairing the Sundara to my Aune X1S 10th Anniversary Edition and really like the extra warmth coming from the X1S. While the Mojo produce more micro details, the X1S makes the Sundara more musical by the added warmth without losing too much of the micro details. I could listen to the Sundara for an extended period of time with the X1S without ear fatigue. Just my 2 cents after testing them for several days.

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,740 of 4,255
Yes, and the angled Ether Pads are supposed to be great as well but also, very expensive! I guess if I want the best I have to pay for it! I was just hoping there was some cheap, obscure AE or Ebay pad that would sound similar. Sorry to get off topic...

HE-500 and the Ether Angled pads, a great match. I've tried six pads and that's the one. More sound comes from the middle of the membrane than the edges. Not only that, I think that there is a delay between the two which gives a subtle smear to them. Because the ear hole of the EAP is narrower then than the membrane what you get is more time aligned, and you'll be shocked at how much cleaner the mids and highs are.

Those pads also go hand in hand with two other crucial mods.

1. The fuzzor mod (most crucial mod). Basically cuts down amusical reflections using felt on the stators (well documented here).
2. Remove the screens and replacing with nothing, or a 1/2" grid screen (essentially open). This cuts down upper bass/lower mid echo/ thickness, increases soundstage width a great deal. Lose a bit of bass, but its much tighter in the mid bass.

Not part of the trio above, but, highly useful mod:

3. The stock cable is microphonic, and sibilant in the treble, get (or make) a O2 free cable with an SE or XLR termination (depending on which choice gives you the most juice from your amp)

There are mods with felt and dynamat which have less payoff, I've written on too.

On topic: Sundara >> any 400*

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back