Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Apr 22, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,771 of 4,255
It has been a while since I heard HE-560, but from memory, they were more sweet, especially in the midrange. I also vaguely remember HE-560 being a bit harder to drive than Sundy.

Since i like HD650, maybe HE560 is better choice then, my Oppo PM-2 treble not as smooth as HD650 but HD650 seems veiled not like OPPO (i like bass from HD650 as well but oppo also not bad sometimes, i wished it more smoother like hd650), maybe this one i should search for, not bass head though, just like relaxing sound, crisp, detail but treble not harsh at all, thanks for the help...

Apr 22, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,772 of 4,255
How about HE560 then !? price almost the same

I had meze99 as well, my friend said instead of Sundara, he suggested HE560, what do you think !? Whats the difference between 560 and Sundara !?

I think Sundara is cutting edge planar technology, and sounds like it. Whereas the HE560 is getting rather long in the tooth.

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #1,774 of 4,255
Ok, Noted, i guess i will make sure audition both first then consider 560 had revision as well (560 v2), thanks.

If you're looking for a HD650 like sound, but clearer, Sundara is not going to please you. It is VERY neutral. Compared to the HD650, it will sound bass-lite.

I can't say how the HE560 compares, as I've never heard it. But I can say the iBasso SR1 is a beautiful choice. The bass is even better than the HD650, and there's more clarity and detail throughout the mids and highs. But the treble is not harsh. It's not as smooth as Sundara, but it's not bright either. Just a little sparkle.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #1,775 of 4,255
Today I received the Sundara that have been very kindly sent to me by Hifiman to test drive.

I will not go into opinions on sound as I haven't had more than 30 minutes to listen to them and these are a brand new set, but I plan on spending plenty of time with them over the next 2 weeks!

My first impressions regarding looks and build quality are positive. They seem to be well put together, at least at first glance, and sturdy enough. The adjustment bands are quite stiff but as these are a new pair, that may loosen up with use.

As for comfort, I find them quite comfortable on the head and although I haven't worn them for more than 30 mins yet, they “dissapeared” almost immediately when on my head.

If I have to mention anything negative about them (which I obviously don't but will anyway as I like to be honest), I am not overly keen on the cable included. It seems to be well made but is a bit rubbery for my taste.

Anyway, I certainly look forwards to listening to these over the next couple of weeks, both at home and in the office.

Thanks @TeamHiFiMAN for giving me the oportunity to try these out!

Apr 24, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,776 of 4,255
If you're looking for a HD650 like sound, but clearer, Sundara is not going to please you. It is VERY neutral. Compared to the HD650, it will sound bass-lite.

I can't say how the HE560 compares, as I've never heard it. But I can say the iBasso SR1 is a beautiful choice. The bass is even better than the HD650, and there's more clarity and detail throughout the mids and highs. But the treble is not harsh. It's not as smooth as Sundara, but it's not bright either. Just a little sparkle.
IMG_20190425_012546.jpg

I have Sundara, HE560, SR1 and HD650. Going from brightest to darkest. HE560-Sundara-HD650-SR1

I find Sundara to be superior to HE560 mainly because it is more balanced. It is also more easy to listen because less the treble "shizzle" which gives more space for the other qualities to shine throug. HE560 treble is a bit problematic (unless you have a tube/tube hybrid) but Sundara does not have those problems. Atleast not to that extent. Still I feel Sundara leans more to the brigher side and I would not call them "VERY neutral" as PinkyPowers said. Defination of neutral varies from person to person of course, but to me Sundara has too much treble and lacks some bass to be call perfectly neutral. It is an insanely good headphone, whatever you call the soundsignature.

Here is Sundara measured with HE560. Volume was not perfectly matched, but you get the idea.

HE560 vs Sundara.jpg

Sundara with HD650

HD650 vs Sundara.jpg

Ibasso SR1

sr1.jpg

I tried to get new measurements of SR1 as the one above is with stock pads and I prefer PT1 pads. Something is wrong with my measuring equipment so it messes up everything above 13k. So I can't do a fresh comparison measurements. Do notice that it is taken in a different scale. It looks like the bass rolls of soon, but it rolls of after 10hz (!) where as other measurements begin from 10hz. Sundara, hd650 and he560 were measured on a same day one after another, so those measurements are valid.

Anyhoo... Of Sundara, HE560, HD650 and Ibasso; I prefer Ibasso SR1. Hifimans tend to lean on the bright side and for me SR1 is more natural sounding. Even though it is darker it is equally clear on the mids and has punchier bass. As measurements show, hifimans don't even have the edge of linear bass down to lowest hertz because SR1 is one of the few dynamics that can reach 10hz with linear response.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #1,779 of 4,255
Since i like HD650, maybe HE560 is better choice then, my Oppo PM-2 treble not as smooth as HD650 but HD650 seems veiled not like OPPO (i like bass from HD650 as well but oppo also not bad sometimes, i wished it more smoother like hd650), maybe this one i should search for, not bass head though, just like relaxing sound, crisp, detail but treble not harsh at all, thanks for the help...

I read that the 560 highs were hotter than the Sundara's

I have Sundara, HE560, SR1 and HD650. Going from brightest to darkest. HE560-Sundara-HD650-SR1

I find Sundara to be superior to HE560 mainly because it is more balanced. It is also more easy to listen because less the treble "shizzle" which gives more space for the other qualities to shine throug. HE560 treble is a bit problematic (unless you have a tube/tube hybrid) but Sundara does not have those problems. Atleast not to that extent. Still I feel Sundara leans more to the brigher side and I would not call them "VERY neutral" as PinkyPowers said. Defination of neutral varies from person to person of course, but to me Sundara has too much treble and lacks some bass to be call perfectly neutral. It is an insanely good headphone, whatever you call the soundsignature.

Here is Sundara measured with HE560. Volume was not perfectly matched, but you get the idea.

Sundara with HD650

Ibasso SR1

I tried to get new measurements of SR1 as the one above is with stock pads and I prefer PT1 pads. Something is wrong with my measuring equipment so it messes up everything above 13k. So I can't do a fresh comparison measurements. Do notice that it is taken in a different scale. It looks like the bass rolls of soon, but it rolls of after 10hz (!) where as other measurements begin from 10hz. Sundara, hd650 and he560 were measured on a same day one after another, so those measurements are valid.

Anyhoo... Of Sundara, HE560, HD650 and Ibasso; I prefer Ibasso SR1. Hifimans tend to lean on the bright side and for me SR1 is more natural sounding. Even though it is darker it is equally clear on the mids and has punchier bass. As measurements show, hifimans don't even have the edge of linear bass down to lowest hertz because SR1 is one of the few dynamics that can reach 10hz with linear response.

I like the 58X's lively, dynamic, kinda-fast, punchy sound, with present mids, the SR1 should be kinda similar? But more tamed on the highs like the HD650?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #1,782 of 4,255
I used to own the 58X and it is actually quite an impressive can in that it sports a tiny 38 mm driver that nonetheless gives you the best bass extension and slam of any openback Sennie I’ve tried.
It’s a warm and wonderful listen. I do prefer the cleaner look into music I get from the 660 though...as well as from the Sundara. The Sundara though brings the liquidy live-sensation of planars as well as a marvelous bass texture, so right now it is the topcat back at the house (heh..next week and it’s the 660 deserving of the mijaouw).
I don’t even miss my HE-500 anymore and that’s just about THE biggest compliment I can give any headphone. Sundara means beautiful? Sure I’ll buy it. The sound it makes sure is riveting to say the least.

Edith:
Regarding iBasso/Sennie, the way I’ve seen the SR-1 described actually perfectly mimics the way I hear 58X...but I have a hunch that the Sennie will sound more open.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #1,783 of 4,255
I was fortunate enough to be included on the loaner tour. I received them on Thursday and spent the better part of yesterday evaluating them - enough to give a first impression.

I had recently reviewed the DT-1990, and lately I've been a bit disappointed with what this "upper mid-fi" price category has brought to the table - that is, until the Sundara showed up.

The tonality is what many have described as "neutral-bright", but that's not to be confused with harshness or sibilance, rather the opposite actually. Bass is well controlled, and even though it doesn't exhibit as much quantity as other headphones at this price, it hits with ample authority. The mids aren't as emphasized as I like them to be but I think most people will enjoy them, and then there's a bit of a forward upper midrange that comes across with the slightest shout. But also, not something most people will notice or care about. Then it gets into possibly the best treble I've ever heard under $1200. I'm immediately very impressed with what HiFiMAN was able to do with the treble. It's highly detailed, resolving, and smooth all at the same time. In my opinion this is the way treble should be done, and every headphone manufacturer should look at the Sundara as a benchmark in that department. In fact, I think the Sundara should be viewed as a benchmark in many respects, but I'll leave that to my full review. In short, the speed of the driver, combined with the refined and well-tuned treble is what sets this headphone apart in its price bracket, and because of this it kicks the absolute crap out of the DT-1990. To those who think the DT-1990 has so much detail and sparkle up top, listen to the Sundara... this is how treble should be done, and you'll find that it outclasses the DT-1990 severely without over-sharpening the image. A more difficult challenge likely comes from the HD660s, but I'll also leave that to the full review.

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #1,784 of 4,255
Sorry to say, but HifiMan's famous build quality is just ridiculous, Just after I finally received cable replacement after month waiting because it was shipped to wrong person I noticed something wrong in my right ear. And guess what, pads are glued off! 29042019184.jpg 29042019183.jpg

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #1,785 of 4,255
Sorry to say, but HifiMan's famous build quality is just ridiculous, Just after I finally received cable replacement after month waiting because it was shipped to wrong person I noticed something wrong in my right ear. And guess what, pads are glued off!
Hi there,

Apologize for the inconvenience caused. We have received your email this morning and will send you a new pair of earpads shortly.

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back