Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
May 6, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #1,801 of 4,250
I bought mine on Amazon. Yes.

I also just bought the sennheiser hd800 cans. Very excited for some analytical goodness!

Thanks. I'm not sure I can do better for $350, but I still don't want to be stuck with them if I don't like them for whatever reason.

May 6, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #1,802 of 4,250
I bought mine on Amazon. Yes.

I also just bought the sennheiser hd800 cans. Very excited for some analytical goodness!
Let us know how you think of the HD800 vs Sundara

Personally I think the Sundaras are tonally superior (better tuned)

But the HD800s are so comfy though.

Personally I think the "analytical" stereotype people give the HD800 is unwarranted. People just think so because of its neutral tuning and while it is on the more detailed side, it is by no means in the analytical category in my dictionary.

You want analytical, try the Meze Empyrean :D

20190502_172610.jpg

Most analytical headphone I've heard to date without sacrificing bass extension like electrostats

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #1,803 of 4,250
Let us know how you think of the HD800 vs Sundara

Personally I think the Sundaras are tonally superior (better tuned)

But the HD800s are so comfy though.

Personally I think the "analytical" stereotype people give the HD800 is unwarranted. People just think so because of its neutral tuning and while it is on the more detailed side, it is by no means in the analytical category in my dictionary.

You want analytical, try the Meze Empyrean :D

Most analytical headphone I've heard to date without sacrificing bass extension like electrostats
They sure are pretty.

May 6, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,805 of 4,250
I think the massive peak at 6 k is responsible for the hd800s analytical rep..and rightly so. Combine the ultralow distortion of the drivers with the “fake detail” of the boosted treble response and you effectively end up with a very bright and equally detailed headphone. I’d call that analytical compared to say an hd600.
Also the hd800 is not a neutral headphone.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd800/

As for the Sundara?
Heh..I seem to have infected 4 of my friends with a serious need for a Sundara. Every person I’ve had this headphone on has been wildly impressed.

Liquidy live-feel of planars? Check.
Detail for days? Check.
Bass that reaches all the way down to Jules Verne? Indeed.
Comfort? Check.
Traditional marmelade-sound of planars? No cigar.

May 6, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,807 of 4,250
I think the massive peak at 6 k is responsible for the hd800s analytical rep..and rightly so. Combine the ultralow distortion of the drivers with the “fake detail” of the boosted treble response and you effectively end up with a very bright and equally detailed headphone. I’d call that analytical compared to say an hd600.

As for the Sundara?
Heh..I seem to have infected 4 of my friends with a serious need for a Sundara. Every person I’ve had this headphone on has been wildly impressed.

Detail for days? Check.
Comfort? Check.

And you pushed me over the edge.

May 6, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,808 of 4,250

As for the Sundara?

Detail for days? Check.
Comfort? Check.
I agree, I like the sundaras for all that you mention, but I'm craving that detail of the 800 that I've read so much about. I'm lucky to have the selection now of the sundaras, nightowls, hd650s, and the 800.

I'm think about what type of can to get next. Something from Audeze? I'll have around 3k to spend. I dunno.
Or perhaps a new amp dac combo?

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #1,809 of 4,250
^Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore the hd800 for specific albums and genres. Play some Dead Can Dance through it and you quickly realise why it’s called the king. It is the finest dynamic headphone...again for very specific albums:wink:
I own a Q701 that basically does the same thing. Granted the more I stick with it the more natural it sounds..just like any other headphone on the planet.

You have 3k to spend! Buy a stork. They’re wonderful and quite witty.
Nahh looking at your stable I’d say that you need a lovely warm planar to compliment the Sundara a la the LCD-2. Everything else you’ve pretty much got covered.
Edith: scratch that! You also miss a fun v-shaped signature. I personally gravitate towards Ultrasone. They sound brilliant but more importantly they give me something unique in their presentation. Decentralised drivers can make for quite the thrilling experience...once your brain wraps itself around it that is. Can take a little getting used to.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #1,810 of 4,250
^Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore the hd800 for specific albums and genres. Play some Dead Can Dance through it and you quickly realise why it’s called the king. It is the finest dynamic headphone...again for very specific albums:wink:
I own a Q701 that basically does the same thing. Granted the more I stick with it the more natural it sounds..just like any other headphone on the planet.

You have 3k to spend! Buy a stork. They’re wonderful and quite witty.
Nahh looking at your stable I’d say that you need a lovely warm planar to compliment the Sundara a la the LCD-2. Everything else you’ve pretty much got covered.
Edith: scratch that! You also miss a fun v-shaped signature. I personally gravitate towards Ultrasone. They sound brilliant but more importantly they give me something unique in their presentation. Decentralised drivers can make for quite the thrilling experience...once your brain wraps itself around it that is. Can take a little getting used to.
The LCD 2 or 2C?
And from what year?

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #1,811 of 4,250
Completely agree with you here. Not analytical at all, very neutral and detailed, slight high-frequency peak but with a warm tube amp you can neutralize it and even get a bit more bass out of it.

May 6, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #1,813 of 4,250
The LCD 2 or 2C?
And from what year?
It’s the same sound in different packaging. Personally I’d go for the 2C as it looks slightly more comfortable....but that’s if I was buying new.
Save the dough and pick up one used...get a fun can for the savings:wink:

May 6, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,815 of 4,250
I agree, I like the sundaras for all that you mention, but I'm craving that detail of the 800 that I've read so much about. I'm lucky to have the selection now of the sundaras, nightowls, hd650s, and the 800.

I'm think about what type of can to get next. Something from Audeze? I'll have around 3k to spend. I dunno.
Or perhaps a new amp dac combo?

How much more detail do the 800s have over the Sundara? How well do the Sundara's resolve detail anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back