HiFiMan Shangri-La Jr (New $8000 Electrostat)
Aug 11, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #136 of 568
Mm...lol!

A friend of mine tested my HE 1 (standalone) and my Focal Utopia (Chord Dave). He prefers the Utopia. I respect his right to express his opinion. But, secretly, I wanted to bash open his head with my HE 1. 25 kgs ought to do the job.

Perhaps he would prefer a Shangri-La Jr? :p
But do you really care if he likes it or not? I buy personal audio gear to please myself, not to show off or impress others. I don't really care if other people like my gear.

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #138 of 568
Mm...I have the HD 800, 800S, Focal Utopia, Stax 009, T1.2, Ether, Ether C, HE 1000 and the Z1R. I've also auditioned the LCD 4. I'm sorry to say that none of them meets my criterea for my ideal TOTL headphones. They all have weaknesses, ANNOYING weaknesses. Only the HE 1 passes my standard, with flying colors. The 009 can compete with it but barely.

Unfortunately, the HD 800 and 800S are no longer TOTL. Annoying sibilance, hard to drive, weak bass. The Utopia is better. The 800 soundstage is exaggerated and artificial. It is also a cold-sounding, too analytical HP. The Stax 009, imo, fares better but it lacks soul (can be analytical, unmusical, weak bass (some say with the BHSE, it is a different beast) and bright (annoying, sharp treble in some tracks). About the only thing going for the 800/800S is its price tag (excellent value though). Sorry it fails for me and it does not stand the test of time. Which is why I am looking forward to the 800/800s successor.

Last year, Tyll retired the HD 800 from his Wall of Fame and I agree with the rating downgrade. The 800S is an improvement and I easily prefer it to the 800.

Wot, no JPS Labs Abyss...? Must be a beginner..... :ksc75smile:

There are no real weaknesses in high-end and well established models, only different flavors.

For my taste, I rank HE1 on par with Beats/ Starving Student (with my pre-NOS tubes). I very (very) much tolerate them. But if I wanted to be realistic / of true and honest them with explicit words, I could easily write something like this :
- HE1's tone is too lifelike to be true
- they're a tad melancholy / too polite, lack some extreme boogie
- they're slow for an estat, slower than light too, too slow all around for the Flash
- bass is a bit realistic. 009 are more impactful with more texture, Utopia kicks way harder, and a well driven HE6 literally crush HE1 in gut pounding distortion.
- details are not that good- too much plankton, 009 are better, HD800 are way better
- soundstage is so-so real. Narrower than HD800, less deep than 009, far less deep than the ocean

Note that I could exactly perform the same honest exercise for 009 which are my favourite cans to date, to produce what looks like a romantic criticism :
- too fast to be true, faster than a speeding snail
- faithful to astonishing high mids, depending on amplification - as long as it's a KG design.
- lacks overemphasis / grandeur in bass, lots of cheaper cans have much better distortionin that area- at least 10% or more
- lacks impact compared to Utopia when thrown against a wall, humiliated by HE6 in that area - leaves real damage in the plaster.
- Above par compared to HD800 for plankton, way, way behind when whales are around
- diffuse soundstage when listening to hip hop.
- all around suave / pleasurable tone of estat
- laudable headband and clicking system looking at the price
etc, etc...ad hoc, ad addendum, ad nauseum,

So the wisest choice in high-end could be something you need for your foibles, but other people (like trolls) don't necessarily crave for new (and expensive) toys to consume precisely with a consumer-only mindset, and are at the same time fully aware of desirability of their own choices...even when those choices are eminently exemplary. And I fully understand my sttatus in this hobby :D
/QUOTE]

FTFY :L3000: :ksc75smile: :L3000: :ksc75smile: :L3000: :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #139 of 568
Mm.....back to topic........today.....Aug. 11 is the date of the show in HK. Any Hong Kong guys who have listened to the SGL Jr.? Please post your impressions.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #140 of 568
Shangri LA Junior will be available November

Has the better sounding $3000.00 Shangri La Junior v2 been released yet? :smile_phones:

Don't worry original owners of the $8000.00 Shangri La Junior v1 headphone, there will be special discounts for the v2 upgrade!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #141 of 568
Mm...lol!

A friend of mine tested my HE 1 (standalone) and my Focal Utopia (Chord Dave). He prefers the Utopia. I respect his right to express his opinion. But, secretly, I wanted to bash open his head with my HE 1. 25 kgs ought to do the job.

I think this illustrates a larger point: that beyond a certain level, it's more about preference than better or worse.

Aug 11, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #144 of 568
Wait for the Shangri-La baby and the Shangri-La infant to get some price reduction.

Ali

That's great advice Ali, thank you!

You saved me from spending a boat load of cash now, when I can wait a few months and get the better version later!

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #145 of 568
Mm.....back to topic........today.....Aug. 11 is the date of the show in HK. Any Hong Kong guys who have listened to the SGL Jr.? Please post your impressions.

I was there earlier and the booth there, didn't even have it plugged in/turn on. They didn't bother showing so I didn't bother asking

Ps the thing didn't look that impressive to me

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #146 of 568
That's great advice Ali, thank you!

You saved me from spending a boat load of cash now, when I can wait a few months and get the better version later!

Better yet, buy Stax.

1) company with > 50 years experience building electrostatic headphones
2) less expensive
3) better sounding
4) better quality control
5) no planned obsolescence
6) better amps available
7) avaiable now, no waiting for a "fixed" version

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #148 of 568
Better yet, buy Stax.

Been there, done that.
Had BHSE and SR009 combo.

I'm sure I will own electrostatics again someday, but for right now- I'm enjoying the warm, punchy dynamic sound.

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #149 of 568
Get a T2. Problem solved.

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #150 of 568
Been there, done that.
Had BHSE and SR009 combo.
I'm sure I will own electrostatics again someday, but for right now- I'm enjoying the warm, punchy dynamic sound.

upload_2017-8-11_16-44-26.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back