HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Oct 7, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #931 of 1,984
For me the R2R will sound great with a non bright headphone , but its sounding nice with the th900. All in all the sound from the r2r is focused on vocals and details. Its a very reference sounding dap , everything is heard. Very defendant on the recording , on some recordings theres plenty of bass , but on other recordings bass will be less present.

These disparities perhaps are what this DAP does? It differentiates recordings well?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #932 of 1,984
For me the R2R will sound great with a non bright headphone , but its sounding nice with the th900. All in all the sound from the r2r is focused on vocals and details. Its a very reference sounding dap , everything is heard. Very defendant on the recording , on some recordings theres plenty of bass , but on other recordings bass will be less present.
Try Red one, I like it sound more then black.

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #934 of 1,984
Try Red one, I like it sound more then black.
Thxs for the reply. Why red ? Cause its warmer less sharp ? For price ?

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #935 of 1,984
Battery meter , does it consist of two dashes ? Seems it goes down to one within 1 hr of use so does that mean the last dash is 1 hr left or 5 hrs left ?

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #936 of 1,984
why do you like more? with mdr ex1000 it would be a good synergy ?

Thxs for the reply. Why red ? Cause its warmer less sharp ? For price ?

As for me, Red is more sharp, Black is more lazy and warm. And the price for Red is a bargain.
I've never listened mdr ex1000, so I cant advise.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #937 of 1,984
Battery meter , does it consist of two dashes ? Seems it goes down to one within 1 hr of use so does that mean the last dash is 1 hr left or 5 hrs left ?
The second dash is about 4-5hrs. Battery meter is the most annoying thing in r2r2k.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #938 of 1,984
As for me, Red is more sharp, Black is more lazy and warm. And the price for Red is a bargain.
I've never listened mdr ex1000, so I cant advise.
Wow , maaaaaan , now Im lost. On the Hifiman site it states the RED is warmer and the BLACK more sharper. Ha , now you say its the other way.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #939 of 1,984
Wow , maaaaaan , now Im lost. On the Hifiman site it states the RED is warmer and the BLACK more sharper. Ha , now you say its the other way.
I was going to buy Black one because of this information too. But when I listened to both, I understood that for my ears information was opposite) Bought Red one and still happy because saved more than 1k$.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #940 of 1,984
I was going to buy Black one because of this information too. But when I listened to both, I understood that for my ears information was opposite) Bought Red one and still happy because saved more than 1k$.
Ha , yeah best is to be able to enjoy something and save. Then tomorrow I will demo the red and see.

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #941 of 1,984
I agree with Alex but instead of Lazy and Warm one may say "musical" for the black while the red is more neutral. Best thing to do is to get both, just like Sony 1Z and 1A :).

For now I am combining R2R2K black with LPGT as source and THXAAA789 as amp. Very happy with the result. Still I am waiting for @team_hifiman to comment on what is the processing made at R2R2K level when it is used in USB Dac mode.
zTqOJog.jpg

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #942 of 1,984
I agree with Alex but instead of Lazy and Warm one may say "musical" for the black while the red is more neutral. Best thing to do is to get both, just like Sony 1Z and 1A :).

For now I am combining R2R2K black with LPGT as source and THXAAA789 as amp. Very happy with the result. Still I am waiting for @team_hifiman to comment on what is the processing made at R2R2K level when it is used in USB Dac mode.
zTqOJog.jpg
When you say the Red is more neutral are you saying the Red gives less bass ?

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #943 of 1,984
When you say the Red is more neutral are you saying the Red gives less bass ?
Yes and less warm generally that's what I mentioned indeed in my first impressions when I got the red on top of the black. I know it goes against what Hifiman states on its website but I indeed mentioned the opposite much before they made their statement and hence clearly it was not just for the sake of contradicting them. The caveat is however that I have changed 2 times of black device and also 2 times of Red because I had technical issues with it. The 1st black i had for almost a year seemed to be much more relaxed and with lush bass whereas the new one I got recently feels less special. It may be burn in if you believe in it or perhaps the R2R chips are inconsistent in the way they sound or just my brain who got used to it overtime. Generally i felt the earlier version I had which was a very early serial number was more enjoyable but maybe in some time the new device will sound equally good, who knows.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #944 of 1,984
Yes and less warm generally that's what I mentioned indeed in my first impressions when I got the red on top of the black. I know it goes against what Hifiman states on its website but I indeed mentioned the opposite much before they made their statement and hence clearly it was not just for the sake of contradicting them. The caveat is however that I have changed 2 times of black device and also 2 times of Red because I had technical issues with it. The 1st black i had for almost a year seemed to be much more relaxed and with lush bass whereas the new one I got recently feels less special. It may be burn in if you believe in it or perhaps the R2R chips are inconsistent in the way they sound or just my brain who got used to it overtime. Generally i felt the earlier version I had which was a very early serial number was more enjoyable but maybe in some time the new device will sound equally good, who knows.
You returned 4 units for free ?

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #945 of 1,984
You returned 4 units for free ?
Indeed maybe 3 only, I think i changed the red only once. In some case on the same day I received the unit as i found an issue with it. but I have to say Hifiman after sales service is absolutely great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back