HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Jun 21, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #721 of 1,984
I cannot download the firmware as I am currently travelling and using the corporate laptop which it thinks the firmware is malware. I may have to wait until I go home.
ECO feature is useless to me as I will never use it so what is the big change?

Were you able to understand "Further optimization of the file ordering"? You've mentioned about favorite. Is the favorite list retained after the rescan?
Hi ,
I think the key question for ECO mode is what is indeed the impact if any on the sound quality. From what I can see the new version of the Eco mode prevents the use of certain functions such as bluetooth or gain choice. If the ECO mode is only impacting on this type of secondary functions without impacting on the SQ but providing more battery, then I think it is interesting. Perhaps @Team HiFiMAN could ellaborate on what is indeed the impact of ECO mode on the actual sound quality by contrast to HIFI mode? Is it impacting other part of the sound processing such as the upsampling?

Concerning your second question, I did not use much the file ordering before because I was mostly using the folders browsing. That said I tried before the file sorting briefly and it seems to me it is now faster, i.e. after rescan when you choose to resort the files it seems it is faster to do it. This is just the impression I have but I did not keep track of how long it took before the update so you may have to double check on your device as I guess it may depends on the amount of data on your sd card.

Last point, I agree that the loosing of the favorite list upon rescan is an issue which I also flagged before and unfortunately it is still there.

To me given the relatively small screen and how challenging it can be to navigate in long list of folders or files the key improvements should be done on the management of favorites as follows:

- ability to remove one song from the list of favorite without clearing the entire list of favorite. ;
- ability to keep the list of favorite notwithstanding the rescan i.e. of course if some songs were removed in the meantime, the list of favorite should be updated not to include them but other songs which have not moved on the sd card should still be in the favorite list.

I hope Hifiman can take in account these simple requests. I have been using Hifiman daps for many years (indeed since they released the first gen 901) and their UI while not being the most impressive had better functionalities.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #722 of 1,984
Hi ,
I think the key question for ECO mode is what is indeed the impact if any on the sound quality. From what I can see the new version of the Eco mode prevents the use of certain functions such as bluetooth or gain choice. If the ECO mode is only impacting on this type of secondary functions without impacting on the SQ but providing more battery, then I think it is interesting. Perhaps @Team HiFiMAN could ellaborate on what is indeed the impact of ECO mode on the actual sound quality by contrast to HIFI mode? Is it impacting other part of the sound processing such as the upsampling?

Concerning your second question, I did not use much the file ordering before because I was mostly using the folders browsing. That said I tried before the file sorting briefly and it seems to me it is now faster, i.e. after rescan when you choose to resort the files it seems it is faster to do it. This is just the impression I have but I did not keep track of how long it took before the update so you may have to double check on your device as I guess it may depends on the amount of data on your sd card.

Last point, I agree that the loosing of the favorite list upon rescan is an issue which I also flagged before and unfortunately it is still there.

To me given the relatively small screen and how challenging it can be to navigate in long list of folders or files the key improvements should be done on the management of favorites as follows:

- ability to remove one song from the list of favorite without clearing the entire list of favorite. ;
- ability to keep the list of favorite notwithstanding the rescan i.e. of course if some songs were removed in the meantime, the list of favorite should be updated not to include them but other songs which have not moved on the sd card should still be in the favorite list.

I hope Hifiman can take in account these simple requests. I have been using Hifiman daps for many years (indeed since they released the first gen 901) and their UI while not being the most impressive had better functionalities.

Thanks for the great feedback. I agree these are all simple function which should have been included already from the beginning. While you and I also agree r2r2k is a great sounding device
I have feeling HFM will never be able to make the device complete (software wise) before it becomes obsolete. The love and hate saga will continue till the end. This device sucks but I like it.

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #723 of 1,984
Thanks for the great feedback. I agree these are all simple function which should have been included already from the beginning. While you and I also agree r2r2k is a great sounding device
I have feeling HFM will never be able to make the device complete (software wise) before it becomes obsolete. The love and hate saga will continue till the end. This device sucks but I like it.

This is already an “old school” device, so I’m not worried about it becoming obsolete, unless you mean that eventually computers and BT sources will no longer support it as they move on to new interfaces and standards.

I just did the update, so we’ll see how it goes. Loving the sound even with the oldest firmware, so just hoping to see it get easier and faster to use.

Jun 25, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #724 of 1,984
Going back to a previous post I made, I noticed that with the new firmware the addition of tracks to the favorite folder is easier and smoother . However I am still not sure how can I remove only some of the tracks from the favorite folder without clearing it in its entirety.

@Team Hifiman can you please advise if there is any way to do it?

Presently there is not but I have requested it from the engineers, so hopefully it may come in a future firmware update.

Mark

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 26, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #726 of 1,984
Any plan on removing the beta label on your firmware? What would be the point when the firmware becomes production version?

Hi, well yes and no. The firmwares to the engineers are always a work in progress as they keep on working on them so each time they have an RC (release candidate) they dont specifically change the file tag, and then when its pushed live, again they dont change the tag. Now I do grant you we ought to change the file tags on them but it really is just in the name and I had been told they dont like to remove the beta tag while its a firmware that is worked on. Its a nice reminder to them that there is still work to be done.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 28, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #727 of 1,984
Testing a new combo today !

ZFdBEnL.jpg

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #729 of 1,984
Hi, well yes and no. The firmwares to the engineers are always a work in progress as they keep on working on them so each time they have an RC (release candidate) they dont specifically change the file tag, and then when its pushed live, again they dont change the tag. Now I do grant you we ought to change the file tags on them but it really is just in the name and I had been told they dont like to remove the beta tag while its a firmware that is worked on. Its a nice reminder to them that there is still work to be done.

Any chance I can revert back to the old FW? I dont like how the new FW sound like.

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #730 of 1,984
Any chance I can revert back to the old FW? I dont like how the new FW sound like.
Yes you can, I did it before, just need to use the old firmware file and it overwrites the latest firmware. I kept a few of them if you do not have them.

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #732 of 1,984
It was pairing with FW10K that made me buy my R2R2K. They are made for one another.
Yes so far so good :) did you notice changes on the FW10K after burn in? I am thinking now also maybe to have the original cable re terminated in 4.4. Not sure why they cannot include it as a standard option.

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #733 of 1,984
Yes so far so good :) did you notice changes on the FW10K after burn in? I am thinking now also maybe to have the original cable re terminated in 4.4. Not sure why they cannot include it as a standard option.

I did not notice a significant change beside high settling in slightly. FW10K is cable sensitive. I love the Dita Oslo cable for them, it smooths the high. I find the original cable very high quality. JVC is working on developing a 4.4mm cable, so it will be released soon.

JVC accepted the initial 3.5mm balance format, it is slowly adapting the 4.4mm format.

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #734 of 1,984
I did not notice a significant change beside high settling in slightly. FW10K is cable sensitive. I love the Dita Oslo cable for them, it smooths the high. I find the original cable very high quality. JVC is working on developing a 4.4mm cable, so it will be released soon.

JVC accepted the initial 3.5mm balance format, it is slowly adapting the 4.4mm format.
Well I have to say I agree the original cable is absolutely great.

FW10K works impressively well with R2R2KTM, just listened again to the MTV unplugged album of Clapton on it and it is just like being in the room with him.
The acoustic guitars sound extremely realistic and alive.I will try tomorrow with R2R2K but definitely it's a fantastic pair of IEMs.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #735 of 1,984
Well I have to say I agree the original cable is absolutely great.

FW10K works impressively well with R2R2KTM, just listened again to the MTV unplugged album of Clapton on it and it is just like being in the room with him.
The acoustic guitars sound extremely realistic and alive.I will try tomorrow with R2R2K but definitely it's a fantastic pair of IEMs.

It’s funny that you mention that album, because it played a big part of my Westone W60 with Bluetooth V2 cable review, that I’m almost finished doing. I bought the album from HD tracks.

Now I’ll have to copy the album over to the R2R2K and trying with wired IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back