1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Edric Li, Dec 22, 2017.
Tags:
First

Back
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
52 53 54 55 56
Next

Last
  1. gr8soundz
    Got the same email. Red version not on their Amazon store yet but hopefully soon.

AFAIK, firmware is still beta and lack of physical buttons still concerns me.

Think I'll finally have to get one since it's the only R2R portable under $2K. Still expensive at $1K but at least within reach.

2. audionewbi
    Stick with CD quality and buy the r2r2kred and you would never care for hi-red.
    I suspect the audible change is more to do with slight amp modifications.

3. gr8soundz
    I only have a handful of hi-res albums so redbook is enough for me. Hi-res support is mostly a plus and more future proofing. My NOS multibit dap is only 16/44 yet it sounds better than every other portable I have.

I've also read debates about whether true 24-bit audio is currently possible. True 20-bit may be the limit for now which is still above CD quality. Either way, I'll take full 16-bit over the 1 to 8-bits of delta-sigma any day.

4. David Kleinfeld
    1) yes it works but user experience is limited due to screen specs (and no real playlist, bookmark function)
    2) it s possible to stream from other devices in ldac to it, but does r2r2k uses full potential at reception only hifiman can tell

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    bflat likes this.
  5. lithiumnk
    Hello
    Which NOS dap are you talking about?
    I am sorry i am not aware of any NOS DAP.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  6. gr8soundz
  7. bflat
    Well, I am cautiously optimistic with the R2R2K Red as a replacement of my RME DAC for my office. I was looking for a quality DAC with 4.4mm balanced output so don't need the DAP features for now. I do worry about battery life by keeping this connected to power 24x7. I hope HFM has implemented good charging circuitry that protects over from overcharging.

Just out of curiosity, I do plan to try out R2R2K in OTG DAC mode with my Sony DAP and also LDAC BT. If the results are good, I may just buy a cheap A45 or A55 Sony DAP as a solution to the poor UI fro HFM. By sheer coincidence the footprint of the Sony A series DAP is nearly identical to the R2R2K so It should be compact with the stacking.

8. David Kleinfeld
    Hi, I often use Sony Dap as source but sending signal via bluetooth to R2R2K. I tried several cable and none of them worked so far, It seems that R2RK only takes the signal via USB if coming from an android based device. If you find a cable that works with Sony please let us know :) Thanks.

9. bflat
    Will do. It will be sometime next week since HFM shipping in US is first class mail. I am more interested in LDAC (990 kbs) because that is good enough for lossless 44/16. I have never been able to differentiate between a 96/24 recording or a downsampled 44/16. >90% of my library is CD red book. Assuming this all works out, BT connection frees me from needing to stack and also allows charging while playing.

10. David Kleinfeld
    For Ldac i can already tell you your Sony.device can be configured in it and stream to.r2r2k. it wotks both with my 1z and 1a. I find the sound to be very good on r2r2k in this config but r2r2k would not state it receives in ldac or any other codec indeed. Furthermore it may be the case that r2r2k is upsampling but i have doubt on that. @TeamHiFiMAN can you please confirm whether r2r2k can receive in ldac and whether the signal received in bluetooth is then upsampled within the r2r2k?

11. bflat
    You should see a confirmation message on your WM1a/z once it connects to the R2R2K. On the confirmation message it should tell you which codec is running so if it shows LDAC, it is definitely connected using LDAC. If you also manually select highest quality, it should be 990 bit rate. My experience with BT pairing on WM1z is that manual settings do stick. If I use highest quality setting, the sound starts to break up when I move about 10m away. When I set to "auto", sound continues to play but obviously at a lower bit rate as I move further away. It is also very obvious if you are receive mode watching videos. The higher quality bit rates show more lip sync issues than lower bit rates. LDAC is unusable for watching videos.

12. David Kleinfeld
    Just checked, sorry but it does not support Ldac or even Aptx it seems. The confirmation message only states SBC no matter what is the mode that you select initially. That said there were previous explanation provided on the forum on LHDC used by Hifiman that may interest you. https://www.hwa-lhdc.org/ It seems that mostly Huawei smartphones are compatible with LHDC and Fiio M11 (see here the page of Fiio website stating M11 can transmit in LHDC https://www.fiio.com/m11) Other brands like Onkyo and Pioneer which have mini dap are listed on LHDC website but those daps are too old probably to support LHDC.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  13. bflat
    That's unfortunate. I'll try OTG and report back. My WM1z works fine in OTG mode with my WA11 which is USB-C so hopefully it will work. Fiio M6 is an interesting option too is Sony doesn't work. Cheap and just a tad smaller footprint than R2R2K.

David Kleinfeld likes this.
  14. David Kleinfeld
    Thanks for letting us know if it works with your cable, personally I tried with oem sony otg cable but no luck whereas it works with my WA8. I also tried with aftermarket OTG cable WM port to USB C (two of them indeed) and no luck as well.

15. David Kleinfeld
    Just sent back my R2R2K Black for repair, I will use the Red one in the meantime.

I noticed a problem with the mid gain option on both 4.4. and 3.5 jacks, basically the sound was muffled and with some interference on it. I tried several firmwares but the issue remained.

I was a bit hesitant to send it back because my latest experience with Hifiman Repair Service with my 901S was kind of long (approx 6 months) and frustrating. At the end they sent me a new 901s but the battery cover did not really match the case of the device which is kind of problematic for a device retailing USD 1500.

I took few pictures of my R2R2K Black just before sending it back to compare before and after, I hope I will not be disappointed this time.

Note that with using the leather case, its exterior is still in excellent condition after several months of use. On this part I am happy to report that the device is not as fragile as I was thinking initially.

I also ordered new cases including clear TPU cases which it seems are made on order. I will report when I receive it but I suspect it's going to take few weeks also.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
First

Back
41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
52 53 54 55 56
Next

Last