1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Edric Li, Dec 22, 2017.
Tags:
First

Back
38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
49 50 51 52 53 54 55
Next

Last
  1. dhc0329
    There are quite of few pending fixes with the current beta firmware? Are we with done with update?
    It would be quite odd if the the firmware update stops with beta version.

audionewbi likes this.
  2. audionewbi
    I dont think they are done, as they just released the R2R2000TM which works on the same UI.
    I think they are working on getting the ECO fixed and see no point releasing a next update until that is fixed.

I rather they just release a WAV only FW, like Quloos. Just focus on getting WAV codec right, it is much easier to get right and worry about the other codecs later.

dhc0329 likes this.
  3. twister6 Contributor
    Do you mean it's still on beta version a year after the release?

pstickne and dhc0329 like this.
  4. dhc0329
    Understood but i am a bit concerned since it's been over 3 month since they last released.
    I really dont want to wait forever for production version.

5. dhc0329
    Yes that is exactly what I am talking about..still on beta :frowning2:

6. audionewbi
    I hear you brother, just like you I paid with my hard earned money, I want to get what I paid for. If it sounded bad, I would have looked twice.

dhc0329 likes this.
  7. TeamHiFiMAN
    We are still working on the firmware, a new one is due to drop imminently.

Mark

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
  8. David Kleinfeld
    Hi, I hope the new firmware can also fix the use of favorite playlist i.e. there should be an option to keep the existing favorite list upon re-scan and more importantly to delete from the favorite list one item without deleting everything in the favorite list.

Incidentally and this is a question for Hifiman or others in this forum if they know the answer : I was using my R2R2K in bluetooth mode having for source my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. I was a bit surprised to see that changes of the EQ on the Lotoo are clearly reflected when playing in bluetooth on the R2R2K. So my question in relation to this is what kind of processing the R2R2K does when receiving signal in bluetooth from external device?

My initial guess would have been that the R2R2K should convert digital to analogue in which case it could have nullified the sound signature and the EQ of the lotoo. However it seems it is not the case, I do get the get the sound of the R2R2K but with the EQ of the Lotoo.

Finally another question would be : is the signal received in blueetooth by the R2R2K upsampled in any way ?

Thanks

DK

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    audionewbi likes this.
  9. audionewbi
    @David Kleinfeld When you have a chance, can you please discuss the sonic difference of the R2R2000TM and 2000, now that you had more time to test it? Many thanks.

10. David Kleinfeld
    I just noticed that New FW is out. In case you have not seen it yet :

Version UI2019-6-17 V1.9 beta
    Release Date 2019-06-17
    What’s new
    1. Reintroduction of Eco mode
    2. Fix BUG when changing output mode
    3. Further optimization of the file ordering
    (Please Note: After flashing the new firmware please perform a “reset settings” before using the player again.)

UNQUOTE

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    pitsel and audionewbi like this.
  11. David Kleinfeld
    Hi,

I made some further listening tests again comparing the TM (Red) to the 2000 (Black) side by side playing the same tracks on the same settings and using IER-Z1R, Solaris and U18t for testing purpose.

I am not sure about the actual numbers but I should now have about at least 100 to 200 hours of playtime on the TM. This probably represents a third or less of what I should now have on the 2000.

That being said my impressions on the SQ differences have not much changed from day one.

What I notice first is that there is less bass (perhaps sub-bass?) perceived from the TM compared to the 2000. The TM sound signature seems to be more analytical with the highs being more at risk of becoming piercing at higher level of volume depending of which IEMs you use.

The sound signature of the 2000 appears to be more relaxed and musical even though both units produce a very fast and detailed sound which could be qualified as very intense. If I had to compare to any other experience I had before I would say it reminds me of the first time I heard the utopias on a very good amp producing a very impactful, detailed, fast and intense sound by contrast to other high-end headphones which were maybe more polished but also a bit boring in my view.

In my opinion, the TM sound is equally special to 2000 when it comes to comparing it to other devices based on delta sigma technology in the sense that the music feels more alive with a more natural and analog sound.

However I would say that the TM has a signature which is more neutral and in this respect, it is less special if I consider the majority of other devices which I have tried recently.

The grain of the texture of the vocals on the TM, perhaps due to the lesser amount of bass, can be heard very so slightly more clearly.

Overall the sound of the 2000 has more warmness, richness and weight to it but the TM does not, at least in my opinion, produce a noticeably less detailed or fast sound.

Given the above, I will happily keep both devices and alternate between each other, in the same way I do between NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z.

DK

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  12. audionewbi
    Forever thankful for you impression sir.

David Kleinfeld likes this.
  13. David Kleinfeld
    Going back to a previous post I made, I noticed that with the new firmware the addition of tracks to the favorite folder is easier and smoother . However I am still not sure how can I remove only some of the tracks from the favorite folder without clearing it in its entirety.

@Team Hifiman can you please advise if there is any way to do it?

14. dhc0329
    I cannot download the firmware as I am currently travelling and using the corporate laptop which it thinks the firmware is malware. I may have to wait until I go home.
    ECO feature is useless to me as I will never use it so what is the big change?

Were you able to understand "Further optimization of the file ordering"? You've mentioned about favorite. Is the favorite list retained after the rescan?

15. dhc0329
    btw - is there a plan to allow HiBy W5 connection? HFM mobile app has not been updated since it's first release. It is unstable and totally lacks feature.

First

Back
38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
49 50 51 52 53 54 55
Next

Last