HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Aug 15, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #301 of 1,984
Just been informed by HFM this device is not a portable DAP but only a streaming device and USB DAC. It has SD card slot but only for a firmware update.
Basically you can't play songs stored in SD card, so they stated. This thing only plays the songs streaming from your mobile phone over Bluetooth.
After reading over 20 pages of comments here I have not realized such. Not sure what HFM's trying to achieve with R2R2K..
$2.5K streaming device needing mobile device to function as a player. Not sure why they remove the regular DAP functionality.
As for USB DAC it doesn't have to be this small but just need to sound good.

Wow yea on the Hifiman website the R2R is completely marketed as a “HD streaming audio device” no mention whatsoever of it being a dap

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #302 of 1,984
Just been informed by HFM this device is not a portable DAP but only a streaming device and USB DAC. It has SD card slot but only for a firmware update.
Basically you can't play songs stored in SD card, so they stated. This thing only plays the songs streaming from your mobile phone over Bluetooth.
After reading over 20 pages of comments here I have not realized such. Not sure what HFM's trying to achieve with R2R2K..
$2.5K streaming device needing mobile device to function as a player. Not sure why they remove the regular DAP functionality.
As for USB DAC it doesn't have to be this small but just need to sound good.

Don't think anyone knew that. Wow! Long thread for a dap that's not even a dap. Time to change thread title.....

If this really is true, no way I'd consider this now. Who'd pay $2500 for a bluetooth R2R dac/amp (without aptx-HD or LDAC)?

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #303 of 1,984
Don't think anyone knew that. Wow! Long thread for a dap that's not even a dap. Time to change thread title.....

If this really is true, no way I'd consider this now. Who'd pay $2500 for a bluetooth R2R dac/amp (without aptx-HD or LDAC)?

It is pretty crazy but it does have a HD Bluetooth tech, SHDC, and at least in China there is a beta for an app that allows SHDC transmission from any phone. As far as I see however there is no DAP control via Bluetooth... just streaming

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #304 of 1,984
Guys guys guys, this is complete BS. I tested this DAP (my friend's) using my own SD card and it worked without a problem. It is indeed a DAP.

giphy.gif

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #306 of 1,984
Guys guys guys, this is complete BS. I tested this DAP (my friend's) using my own SD card and it worked without a problem. It is indeed a DAP.

Thanks for confirming. Streaming only didn't sound right but Hifiman needs to provide more details (and review samples) not to mention they're asking 2.5K for a player with NO local storage.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #309 of 1,984

I am more confused than ever as this is what I confirmed directly from HFM.

Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 10:28 PM
To: *********
Subject: Re: Welcome, *****

It does have a micro SD card slot, it is for firmware updates though it is possible that player functionality may be added at some future date.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #310 of 1,984

It does have a micro SD card slot, it is for firmware updates though it is possible that player functionality may be added at some future date.
It seems as if their CS are world champions.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #311 of 1,984
Underpromise & overdeliver!!!! :p

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #312 of 1,984
Didn't Fang say it was $2000? When was the price increased?

it's listed on moon audio already as in stock and ready to ship to you for $2500.

also says you can: "High- Res local Player- Just insert a micro SD card up to 256 and enjoy local playback of FLAC and DSD files. "

Listed at $2500 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKGKHVY/ (Ships from and sold by HIFIMAN.)

Way to go HFM......

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #313 of 1,984
Anyway, this is a good news if HFM support is wrong but they did mention they have to update the firmware before shipping the device to me.
If they decided to remove the local DAP function with the latest firmware update or local play option is mediocre (sonic/option wise), I am afraid
I cannot keep the device.

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #314 of 1,984
Anyway, this is a good news if HFM support is wrong but they did mention they have to update the firmware before shipping the device to me.
If they decided to remove the local DAP function with the latest firmware update or local play option is mediocre (sonic/option wise), I am afraid
I cannot keep the device.

Maybe after the next fw update it's no longer a portable DAP, and instead becomes a portable streaming device LOL!!! J/k :D

I'm pretty sure we heard more than one impression talking about r2r2k used as a DAP, but what you heard back from them is confusing. Let's hope something got lost in translation.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #315 of 1,984
Sadly, you may be right that this may not be the DAP we have envisioned reading from below...

Customer Service <customerservice@hifiman.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 12:54 AM

Hi there, the R2R2000 is being sold as a streaming device, DAC and Bluetooth rather than as a player.

>>>
On 15 August 2018 at 07:54, ******@gmail.com wrote:

You didn’t answer my question yet. So does this mean you cannot play any files stored in SD card but only files from your mobile device?
If yes, what play option do you allow?

Customer Service <customerservice@hifiman.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:19 PM

Moving forward that is correct, the R2R2000 isnt being positioned as a player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back