= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Sep 27, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #616 of 829
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F3FJYSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

note: one side looks finished, the backside is NOT finished and will be the side you sand down to lower profile.

i bought one sheet of this...made templates... cut them out carefully with precision wire snips...a dremel and thin sanding disc.... I had to shave down the thickness of the last 3-4mm where the grill rests into the he-560 cup...basically get the last 3-4mm of the circle to be abou 1mm thick. then..... I used some gorilla glue, applied very little across the backside of the grille... took the stock he-560 fabric filters off.... soaked them in water and shook them out a little.... layed the wet fabric on top of the gorilla glue side (backside of course).  Don't try to apply the fabric to the glue when dry...it won't stick as well and will likely look like crap. just BE SURE to drop the fabric dead on center where you want it the first time without shifting around. let it dry about 30 min and put it all back together. Now you have a pair of HE-560's that look better than Ether's IMHO.  

this project requires patience....also
dremel tool and misc bits
low profile wire snips (optional)
sharpie marker 
gorilla glue
and the above linked aluminum grille material from amazon.

project takes about an hour.

Do you have any links for what you used to cut the material?

Sep 27, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #617 of 829

I used the standark 1mm thick reddish colored discs that are common to dremel tools. Just took my time and shaped the grilles one by one. The fitment takes patience. I would advise wearing eye protection too... Obviously. Sparks fly and discs break and fly if you are not patient enough.

Take little amounts of material at a time til it's a perfect fit. The second grille will likely go twice as fast. Once you get an idea of fitment.

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #618 of 829

If you don't have or want to by a Dremel kit, you can save on the $$$ and the sparks with something like these:

http://smile.amazon.com/Clauss-Titanium-Bonded-Bent-Snips/dp/B000XB4U0C

searched on "tin snips".  I used metal files for shaping and thinning the edges that must fit under the retaining rings.

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #619 of 829

If you don't have or want to by a Dremel kit, you can save on the $$$ and the sparks with something like these:

http://smile.amazon.com/Clauss-Titanium-Bonded-Bent-Snips/dp/B000XB4U0C

searched on "tin snips".  I used metal files for shaping and thinning the edges that must fit under the retaining rings.

Perfect!

Did you use the same material as bimmer100 too? if so do you happen to have any pics?

Sep 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #620 of 829
  Perfect!

Did you use the same material as bimmer100 too? if so do you happen to have any pics?

Yes, I did, and, search this thread for my posts 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #622 of 829
  Thanks! Im so excited to do this mod!
What do you guys think about this grill??

http://www.customcargrills.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Perf_Rectangle

Interesting.  I prefer the hexagon look, but if it looks good to you...  I'd like to see that design in context, but I reckon we'll have to wait for you to post your photos 
wink.gif
  Good luck, and rock that mod!

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #624 of 829
Interesting.  I prefer the hexagon look, but if it looks good to you...  I'd like to see that design in context, but I reckon we'll have to wait for you to post your photos :wink:   Good luck, and rock that mod!

I'm just worried that it may cause reflections in the cup...

Just put some Creatology adhesive felt on the back side of it.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #626 of 829
I'm just worried that it may cause reflections in the cup...

That other style looks more open than the hex pattern, and I added organza, which should reflect some sound back.  The beauty is that you can play with it.  Start with this: stock grills on.  Compare with stock grills removed (i.e., totally open).  Compare those two sounds with your chosen grill without, then with some dist shield.  You'll find your happy place somewhere in there.

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #627 of 829
  i'm committed to ouragamis mod though....
now i feel conflicted...

Origami grills!  Now that I wanna see!  Here are some images for inspiration:

https://www.google.com/search?q=origami&rlz=1C1CHMO_en___US481&espv=2&biw=1715&bih=927&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCgQsARqFQoTCNeGj7DemMgCFYlwPgodSoYCcw

Sorry, couldn't resist 
wink.gif

I definitely recommend organza as a dust shield, but do some listening tests before you commit.

@Hansotek was suggesting that you do the Fuzzor mod on the outside, if you're really concerned about reflections.  Given that it's the outside, there's really no reason, unless you want to mask the silver frame that you can sometimes see.

Ohhgourami's mod .... I stand corrected.

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #628 of 829
Just put some Creatology adhesive felt on the back side of it.

i'm committed to ouragamis mod though....
now i feel conflicted...

Did you mean Ohhgourami's mod? As in felting the underside of the Audeze vegan pads? (Fantastic mod, by the way. Definitely do it!) I don't see how that would be incompatible with felting the back side of your replacement metal outer grill.

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #629 of 829
Did you mean Ohhgourami's mod? As in felting the underside of the Audeze vegan pads? (Fantastic mod, by the way. Definitely do it!) I don't see how that would be incompatible with felting the back side of your replacement metal outer grill.

i'm just afraid of messing up what seems to be that sweet balance of mids/lows/highs.
I don't want to over dampen the treble via too much fuzz, or increase the treble with the grill that I showed you guys

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #630 of 829

i'm just afraid of messing up what seems to be that sweet balance of mids/lows/highs.
I don't want to over dampen the treble via too much fuzz, or increase the treble with the grill that I showed you guys

I'm not suggesting that you do the fuzzor mod. There's going to be a big difference between fuzzoring the magnets on the driver and using a little felt on the exposed metal parts of your outer grill replacement to damp an unwanted resonance. They are two different parts entirely. 

You need to just get out of the hypothetical worrying cycle and start trying stuff. If it sucks, change it. It's not like any of this is irreversible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back