= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Aug 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #347 of 829
Adhesive spray applied to the edges by covering the middle while applying. Stretch your dust cover and press with a book for however long the instructions on the spray says.

Thanks for the reminder about covering the middle.  I might try this method for re-grilling the HE-560s.  A glue stick is all right, but it can ooze over a little and be visible once it dries.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #348 of 829
Adhesive spray applied to the edges by covering the middle while applying. Dont overspray where to you'd saturate the dust cover, light spray will do. -- Stretch your dust cover and press with a book for however long the instructions on the spray says.

That is pretty much how I did mine. Cut out paper circle, spray, press down the nylons, done. Be careful not to overspray or you'll get a visible speckling of glue on the grills.

900x900px-LL-608dcdf4_HE-6regrill3.jpeg

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #349 of 829
Just got my HE-560 done using the same grills that ThurstonX used!

Damn, sanding the sides down sucked.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #351 of 829
Just got my HE-560 done using the same grills that ThurstonX used!

Damn, sanding the sides down sucked.

Thanks for the pic!  I just did the exact same mod yesterday (that material, not painted, no dust shield), as I wanted to compare to my other grills that have the shield.  I don't think the shield detracts much, if at all, but I need to do more listening today.  Anyway, I was just thinking I'd post a pic of the "naked" grills, so you saved me the trouble.

Sanding would suck, that's why I use a big ol' file instead 
wink.gif
  PITA aside, what do you think of the sound?  I'm assuming you like the look.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #352 of 829
Aug 9, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #353 of 829

Thanks for the pic!  I just did the exact same mod yesterday (that material, not painted, no dust shield), as I wanted to compare to my other grills that have the shield.  I don't think the shield detracts much, if at all, but I need to do more listening today.  Anyway, I was just thinking I'd post a pic of the "naked" grills, so you saved me the trouble.

Sanding would suck, that's why I use a big ol' file instead 
wink.gif
  PITA aside, what do you think of the sound?  I'm assuming you like the look.

Unfortunately, I have no file or tools on hand, just a pair of scissors and sandpaper from my previous adventures in my college woodshop =(

And yes, I do like the look! I'm working on getting a sheet of black organza to use as a dust filter though. Hope that goes well with the silver color of the metal. I hope the slight increase in thickness with the filter doesn't necessitate more sanding...

As for the sound, I didn't trust myself to make an accurate comparison with the old grills once the new grills were installed, so I did a test before modding this where I listened to the HE-560 grill-less and then put the grills in place with my hands (without getting my hands in the way as well). I found it hard to pick up the difference at first, but after extended listening on a bunch of different tracks, I picked it up. Without the grills, the sound was indeed more open and seemed to "fill" more space laterally. I wouldn't I noticed any significant difference to the quality of treble, but the increased openness just makes instrumentals like cymbals seem more separated and defined. Overall, everything sounds just a bit more natural and open. I noticed this a lot on Rock tracks like Hotel California, Sultans and Swing, Money for Nothing, Cliffs of Dover.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #354 of 829
  Unfortunately, I have no file or tools on hand, just a pair of scissors and sandpaper from my previous adventures in my college woodshop =(

And yes, I do like the look! I'm working on getting a sheet of black organza to use as a dust filter though. Hope that goes well with the silver color of the metal. I hope the slight increase in thickness with the filter doesn't necessitate more sanding...

As for the sound, I didn't trust myself to make an accurate comparison with the old grills once the new grills were installed, so I did a test before modding this where I listened to the HE-560 grill-less and then put the grills in place with my hands (without getting my hands in the way as well). I found it hard to pick up the difference at first, but after extended listening on a bunch of different tracks, I picked it up. Without the grills, the sound was indeed more open and seemed to "fill" more space laterally. I wouldn't I noticed any significant difference to the quality of treble, but the increased openness just makes instrumentals like cymbals seem more separated and defined. Overall, everything sounds just a bit more natural and open. I noticed this a lot on Rock tracks like Hotel California, Sultans and Swing, Money for Nothing, Cliffs of Dover.

re: organza, I thought it looked good with the silver before I removed it.  It's so thin you shouldn't have a problem.  The only thing it might do is block the slots where the tabs go, so you might have to trim it a tiny bit.  Really just depends on how you cut and affix it.

If you can notice a difference with no grills and those grills, I'd venture a guess that you'll hear a difference with the dust shield in place.  Whether that's good or bad is up to you, of course.

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #355 of 829

re: organza, I thought it looked good with the silver before I removed it.  It's so thin you shouldn't have a problem.  The only thing it might do is block the slots where the tabs go, so you might have to trim it a tiny bit.  Really just depends on how you cut and affix it.

If you can notice a difference with no grills and those grills, I'd venture a guess that you'll hear a difference with the dust shield in place.  Whether that's good or bad is up to you, of course.

Did you remove your organza dust filter because it noticeably affected sound quality? Is there any dust filter material that would minimize that? I'm just looking for the best maintenance-free solution here--I don't want to have to worry about dust accumulating in my cans and causing trouble later on. I keep my cans on my desk on a stand (I have no drawer for it), so I do think I should take some precautions against dust.

Thoughts?

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #356 of 829
Anyone know an ebay seller or similar who has a nice looking grill material.I'm gonna regrill my HE-560 as I found there was quite a large difference especially in depth. 
I have really no idea what I'm supposed to look for and would be nice to get pointed in a general direction.

Have no idea why half of my post is in italic, I can't seem to change it.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #357 of 829
  Did you remove your organza dust filter because it noticeably affected sound quality? Is there any dust filter material that would minimize that? I'm just looking for the best maintenance-free solution here--I don't want to have to worry about dust accumulating in my cans and causing trouble later on. I keep my cans on my desk on a stand (I have no drawer for it), so I do think I should take some precautions against dust.

Thoughts?

No, just wanted to compare to my other grills, which have and will keep the dust shields.  Jury's still out.  My recollection with doing the same comparison with the HE-500s was that I noticed a difference and preferred it with the dust shield.  Of course, the HE-560s are different cans, but they already have a better soundstage and imaging than the HE-500s.  So it seems I prefer a slightly more intimate presentation.  I was listening to the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon the other night and was absolutely blown away.  That was with grills that have the dust shields.  I suppose I should go listen to it with the open grills.  But I was really testing out a pair of pads I made, and pads have a serious affect on the sound, compared to little tweaks like grills.  Anyway, I'll probably put new shields on after I paint them black.

Organza or women's hose would be the thinnest, I reckon.  I know from holding up a few different materials to the light in a fabric store that organza was by far the thinnest.  I'm with you on the dust issue, but a lot of people have stated they've used their HFM cans for a year or more without shields and have had no problems with dust.  I think you need to take your particular environment into account when deciding.  If you really prefer the sound without the shields, just cover them with a plastic bad when not in use.

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #358 of 829

Thoughts?

Just did another comparison, going from open grills to shielded grills.  I definitely prefer the latter with the HE-560s.  While the sound is slightly more open without the dust shields, the bass response is better with them.  I listened to Echo and the Bunnymen's  Porcupine (Remastered & Expanded).  In songs like "My White Devil" there are some percussion sounds that appear in the lower outer right, and are joined with another in the lower outer left.  I have no problem with the staging using the shields, and like I said, the overall sound is more robust.  Open is definitely more open, but it thinned it all out too much for me.

A useful experiment.  Thanks for prompting it.  I think I may be repeating it with my "darker" pads (open may win there), and with my replacement HE-500s, once they arrive.  If you perform a similar comparison, I'd be interested to read your impressions.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #359 of 829
I am still waiting for my regrilling materials to arrive: aluminum cross grid similar to the one used by Velomane, some 3mm thick sound absorbing form sheet, and some speaker grill cloth.

My direction for the mod is to reduce sound reflection using more open grill, but increase damping a bit using thicker form/cloth. I want to experiment if it will give more layering to the HE500 sound. Some other headphones which are known for 3D like soundstage, like the HD800, T1, and SA5000 are actually semi open.

Another popular way of modifying the HIfiman planners in China is to stuff natural silk inside the cup, increasing damping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back