= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Aug 10, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #361 of 829
Interesting. Like between the driver and grill or the driver and pad?

It will be between grill and driver. For between driver and pad, I shall wait for your Q701 pads. :)

But before regrilling, I shall do my own Fazor mod first by sticking half ball plastic beads to the pad facing of the driver grid and see if it will improve sound imaging.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #363 of 829
Not sure I quite get this mod...

If the revision 2.5 is the clear winner in sound quality (no fabric or dust protection) wouldn't it be fair to say they sound best with nothing at all on the sides? I mean what is the bare mesh actually accomplishing? All it's doing is providing a very minimal protection possibly from your fingers getting in there (maybe that is the point?)

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #364 of 829
  Not sure I quite get this mod...

If the revision 2.5 is the clear winner in sound quality (no fabric or dust protection) wouldn't it be fair to say they sound best with nothing at all on the sides? I mean what is the bare mesh actually accomplishing? All it's doing is providing a very minimal protection possibly from your fingers getting in there (maybe that is the point?)

It's mechanical protection in case you accidentally jam your finger or a pen or something in. Kinda like the grills around a fan, for instance.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #365 of 829
  It's mechanical protection in case you accidentally jam your finger or a pen or something in. Kinda like the grills around a fan, for instance.

So consensus is basically that the headphones sound better with nothing on the sides, the mesh is just a slight mechanical protection?

I was thinking of giving this a try just to compare, but I guess ultimately rather then crafting new grills I could just listen to the headphones with the current ones removed for the same effect...

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #366 of 829

So consensus is basically that the headphones sound better with nothing on the sides, the mesh is just a slight mechanical protection?

I was thinking of giving this a try just to compare, but I guess ultimately rather then crafting new grills I could just listen to the headphones with the current ones removed for the same effect...

Mhm.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #367 of 829
Do you find that the stock grills are obstructing the SQ more then the dust covers? Or is it the dust covers that are the culprits?

I have some old speaker cloth laying around I could try it on them, and could easily obtain a number of different mesh types.

Just trying to determine if this is worth trying or not...

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #368 of 829
  Do you find that the stock grills are obstructing the SQ more then the dust covers? Or is it the dust covers that are the culprits?

I have some old speaker cloth laying around I could try it on them, and could easily obtain a number of different mesh types.

Just trying to determine if this is worth trying or not...

You can do an easy comparison by listening stock, then removing the grills completely, and then putting speaker cloth over them, affixed with not-too-sticky tape or rubber bands (something easily reversible).  The only variations missing are new grills with wider opens with and without some sort of dust shield.  I think the only way you can determine whether or not it's for you is to do some simple tests.

FWIW, I prefer my far more open grills with organza dust shields than without.  But that's me.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #369 of 829
Made some new grills for my HE-560s yesterday.  Same material as my red grills for the HE-500s, but these were painted using Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Flat Back (two coats).  I was thinking glossy would be better, but since the flat is what I had on hand, I tried it.  Love it.  Matches the plastic part between the grills and the veneer.  I daresay they look positively professional.  Tried to do them justice in the pix, but in person is generally better.  An exception might be my red grills.  They look a little amateurish compared to these, but I do love that color.  Back to the HE-500s, once I get my replacement pair.

Anyway, here are some photos.  The first is mainly to illustrate the difference in the openings between the car grill material and the stock grills.  In at least one you can see how thin the organza dust shield is, as the metal driver framework is visible.  I've got other pix that really show it, but they aren't the sexy shots 
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #371 of 829
Could anybody please provide a link [preferably Amazon, Ebay or any international website] for the stuff they use in place of the stock grills and dust covers?
Would be appreciated as I've been looking around and came up short.
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found a mesh though it is not as cheap as I thought - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mesh-Woven-Stainless-Steel-Sheet/dp/B00B6C32UQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1407776014&sr=8-4&keywords=steel+mesh but still looking for thin cloth I guess.
Any tips still appreciated 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #372 of 829
  Could anybody please provide a link [preferably Amazon, Ebay or any international website] for the stuff they use in place of the stock grills and dust covers?
Thanks in advance!

Here's what I use.  Hopefully you can get it there.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3FJYSQ

There are lots of options for dust shields.  If you've got a local fabric store, go there and poke around.  Find some organza and compare it to other, relatively thin material.  Or buy some women's hose/stockings.  Raw fabric should be cheaper, though.

HTH.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #373 of 829
  ^ Nice large honeycombs on dark background looks fantastic. 

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that I finally used spray adhesive to attach the dust shields.  Found an ancient can in the garage, which, fortunately, still worked.  Much easier than a glue stick.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #374 of 829
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found a mesh though it is not as cheap as I thought - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mesh-Woven-Stainless-Steel-Sheet/dp/B00B6C32UQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1407776014&sr=8-4&keywords=steel+mesh but still looking for thin cloth I guess.
Any tips still appreciated 
smily_headphones1.gif

I would advise against the grill you found. As noted in the first post, woven meshes cause resonance because they vibrate against each other where each piece of metal overlaps. welded meshes don't do this, and seem to be the best. like the guy who posted the custom car-grills mesh.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #375 of 829
I would advise against the grill you found. As noted in the first post, woven meshes cause resonance because they vibrate against each other where each piece of metal overlaps. welded meshes don't do this, and seem to be the best. like the guy who posted the custom car-grills mesh.
yeah ill try to get the one Thurston posted and organza i guess. But the cloth Thurston used is incredibly thin! The cloth is glued on to the grills correct ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back