= Hifiman Regrilling Mod =
Aug 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #331 of 829

Thank you Jerg, this response is very precious. It was not clear to me probably because I'm French.

Haha, I was confused too.

What you want to do is pull the plastic ring towards you at the 12/3/6/9 position with a credit card or anything flat, rigid and non-metallic. You will have to force on the grills a bit to slip the card under the ring, but that's OK.
Once the card is in, you can slide it left and right to release the ring between two tabs, without forcing.
Then grab the plastic ring with your fingers and pull it inward near the tab (you actually bend the ring a bit) to release it. Do the same with the opposite tab.
When 2 tabs are out, you just pull the whole ring out.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #332 of 829
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! So I tried today with my HE-560. The difference is much smaller than I thought. (It must be higher with the other Hifiman,s cans thought). But it's still an improvement... yep ! I think I would cut a grid soon, but  no urgently:wink:

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #334 of 829
That looks so neo-spartan , functional as well as artful. I can not wait to hear some zappa on those cans.

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #335 of 829
That looks so neo-spartan , functional as well as artful. I can not wait to hear some zappa on those cans.

Thank you!  I quite like the "new" look, atm.. the triumvirate of colors (black, wood, silver) looks nicer than the stock 560 (which is mostly just black and brown.. with a silver HFM logo).

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #336 of 829

Thank you!  I quite like the "new" look, atm.. the triumvirate of colors (black, wood, silver) looks nicer than the stock 560 (which is mostly just black and brown.. with a silver HFM logo).

You can carefully nudge the internal wiring down so that the aesthetics are better.

Kinda like these:

Aug 7, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #337 of 829
Is it better to use non magnetic material like aluminum, copper, or plastic for the replacement grid? Do you feel the driver magnet is pulling the stock grill inward when you remove it?

I am buying some aluminum grid material to make the replacement grid. I just wonder if the sound improvement might have anything to do with less magnetic interference.

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #338 of 829
  (...) Do you feel the driver magnet is pulling the stock grill inward when you remove it?

Yes, you have to be careful about that.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #339 of 829
So I did it for my HE-560 and I'm really happy with the result!
Very simple and fun to do, it did not take me long. (And I'm far from being handy).
My girlfriend looked at me funny when I cut the trash. She think I have a strange behavior lately ...

Simple, isnt' it ?

The new and the old grill.

I find the headphones are beautiful like this and of course the sound is slightly better.

I'm sorry for the trash but it was worth it. I'm glad I did it !

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #342 of 829
Definitely avoid; instead, ease the rings out starting from one of the 12/3/6/9 oclock positions.

Haha, I was confused too.

What you want to do is pull the plastic ring towards you at the 12/3/6/9 position with a credit card or anything flat, rigid and non-metallic. You will have to force on the grills a bit to slip the card under the ring, but that's OK.
Once the card is in, you can slide it left and right to release the ring between two tabs, without forcing.
Then grab the plastic ring with your fingers and pull it inward near the tab (you actually bend the ring a bit) to release it. Do the same with the opposite tab.
When 2 tabs are out, you just pull the whole ring out.

Thanks guys for that explanation.

Does anyone know, or is there any common consensus on which is best fabric to use for replacement dust felt?
tulle mesh, or Organza?

Also, what about the grill.. Any choice on metal type OR maybe plastic?!?
Thanks. .

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #344 of 829
so, what is a good adhesive to put the dust cover on the new grill?

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #345 of 829
  so, what is a good adhesive to put the dust cover on the new grill?

A very lightly applied glue stick is what I use.  Someone once suggested an adhesive spray, which might be the neatest method, assuming it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back