Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Sep 29, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #767 of 862
Well I did enjoy the mids. The presentation wasn't bad at all to be honest. But just when you are coming from the IEMs I'm using I just wasn't gaining anything. It was a downgrade in comparison. Plus since modding the IE80s the mid-range on them are very much upfront and in your face. Just you get that presentation with more detail, a much larger sound stage, more refined and silky smooth treble, and a great bass presence. Now lets say if I was just starting off and discovered these IEMs and compared them to my former Bose IE2s. I'd have been floored :wink:.

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #768 of 862
Quote:
Well I did enjoy the mids. The presentation wasn't bad at all to be honest. But just when you are coming from the IEMs I'm using I just wasn't gaining anything. It was a downgrade in comparison. Plus since modding the IE80s the mid-range on them are very much upfront and in your face. Just you get that presentation with more detail, a much larger sound stage, more refined and silky smooth treble, and a great bass presence. Now lets say if I was just starting off and discovered these IEMs and compared them to my former Bose IE2s. I'd have been floored :wink:.

Well, in my limited IEM experience, these have the best mids I've heard so far! Specially with female vocals, they're just amazing! I'm listening to Joss Stone with the RE-262 right now, and even the bass is perfect using the bass boost on my c421 amp. In their price range, I doubt there's anything on the market that has better midrange performance than these...

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #770 of 862
I'm not entirely sure this is the proper place for this question, but I'm loathe to start a new thread -- and I figure if this isn't, someone can at least steer me right. 

I have a pair of Hifiman RE262's. I really like the sound. However, the wires are basically shot -- the insulation started to come off within a month or so in places, and it's gotten much worse. At this point, they're only held together with gobs of electrical tape. 

My question: what are my best options for re-wiring? I took them in to a local shop (Q Audio, in Cambridge MA), and they basically told me to throw them away, which I obviously don't want to do. I also don't want to spend $100 to rewire $150 IEMs...

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #771 of 862
I'm not entirely sure this is the proper place for this question, but I'm loathe to start a new thread -- and I figure if this isn't, someone can at least steer me right. 

I have a pair of Hifiman RE262's. I really like the sound. However, the wires are basically shot -- the insulation started to come off within a month or so in places, and it's gotten much worse. At this point, they're only held together with gobs of electrical tape. 

My question: what are my best options for re-wiring? I took them in to a local shop (Q Audio, in Cambridge MA), and they basically told me to throw them away, which I obviously don't want to do. I also don't want to spend $100 to rewire $150 IEMs...

Contact HiFiMan.  If it's in warranty, they'll replace it for you.  Even if it's not, they might accommodate a repair.  From what I've read, there hasn't been much, if any, success in rewiring the RE262 by the MOT/DIY'ers here.  Best bet is to try and get a replacement.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #772 of 862
Quote:

Contact HiFiMan.  If it's in warranty, they'll replace it for you.  Even if it's not, they might accommodate a repair.  From what I've read, there hasn't been much, if any, success in rewiring the RE262 by the MOT/DIY'ers here.  Best bet is to try and get a replacement.

They're definitely not in warranty, but I'll give it a shot...thanks.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had issues with the insulation on the wires cracking off? (When I go home tonight I'll take a picture to illustrate...) 

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #773 of 862
Quote:

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had issues with the insulation on the wires cracking off? (When I go home tonight I'll take a picture to illustrate...) 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629253/head-direct-hifiman-customer-service-team

Try posting your problem in that thread...

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #774 of 862
Quote:

it is a known issue? been discused before, what I recomended was to use some armorall on the wires, or some type of lubricant, to help keep them supple, and help prevent the cracking?

after I got my replacements from Head-Direct after the right ear piece going out? (which is also a known issue for the older verions of the  262s) I sold them off for theos reasones, got while the getting was good, and sold off the new replacements of them a while back,

I bought them second hand, and Head-Direct was awesome about it! the honored their warrenty form the sales date that I bought them here off of Head-Fi,  I sent them all the info of the transaction, PayPal, and corresponpences, got my RMA and sent them in, they sent me out a new set in return! what a company!

so tell them the deal and see what they say! and then keep us up to date with the progress! I forget the ladies name that I always talked to out of there NY offices? but she was ssooo sweet, and very very helpful!

and then use something to help keep the wires more supple? well that's what I reccomended to the fella that I sold them off to?

good luck and welcome to Head-Fi!

Happy Listening everyone!

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #776 of 862
When I bought these it was for all my other music that's not electronic but I must say that I'm very surprised and pleased with how good they sound with edm.  When I read people where saying the RE262's driver is a bit slow it had me worried but they keep up fine with all my edm even trance with all its complex structures higher bpm's.  The mids give trance melodies a wonderful smooth lush sound that's very detailed and for other types of edm like techno, tech house, deep house I'm liking the RE262 as much as the e-Q5 which works very well with electronic music.  Paired with my E11 on EQ 1 or 2 depending on the mix I get plenty of punchy deep bass that's very clean and the depth of the soundstage is really something and gives a lot of the mixes I listen to layers I've never heard before..  For me the RE262 is a good all around IEM and not just for vocal lovers imo.  When I get a balanced amp to go with them I'll really get to see how good these can be.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #777 of 862
Quote:
When I bought these it was for all my other music that's not electronic but I must say that I'm very surprised and pleased with how good they sound with edm.  When I read people where saying the RE262's driver is a bit slow it had me worried but they keep up fine with all my edm even trance with all its complex structures higher bpm's.  The mids give trance melodies a wonderful smooth lush sound that's very detailed and for other types of edm like techno, tech house, deep house I'm liking the RE262 as much as the e-Q5 which works very well with electronic music.  Paired with my E11 on EQ 1 or 2 depending on the mix I get plenty of punchy deep bass that's very clean and the depth of the soundstage is really something and gives a lot of the mixes I listen to layers I've never heard before..  For me the RE262 is a good all around IEM and not just for vocal lovers imo.  When I get a balanced amp to go with them I'll really get to see how good these can be.

So with a balanced amp are you able to directly connect form the original cord and get proper sound? Strangely enough using my ibasso DX100 I was able to do this and get sound out of both sides with the stock cable (without the extensions).....

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #778 of 862
Yeah you can connect it to the amp without one of the adapters though with how short the cable is I'd use the balanced setup cable extension. 

That's very strange that you get both side playing if its not a balanced amp but your definitely not getting a balanced amp sound from it.  There's actually an iBasso balanced amp I'm looking at along with one from RSA called the Protector, the iBasso is about $100 cheaper but the RSA is said to be really good so I might just save some more and get them.  I want to know if its really worth the money for the improved SQ you get but from what I've read they say it makes the RE262 sound better and well more balanced :) though I like the mid-centric sound they have.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #780 of 862
They don't require an amp, but they will perform better with one. I don't know much about the HPO on the IPhone 5, but I did read that it struggled to drive some other less efficient earbuds, so I'd speculate they will do OK at best, but you won't be giving them a chance to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back