Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
May 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #661 of 862
Hi guys, I'm considering getting these. I have Miles Davis Tributes which I love the sound signature for, but the flashy design and intense microphonics as well as the low build quality turned me off. I found these RE262s from a recommendation from someone else as similar sound signature and they seem awesome.

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #662 of 862
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm considering getting these. I have Miles Davis Tributes which I love the sound signature for, but the flashy design and intense microphonics as well as the low build quality turned me off. I found these RE262s from a recommendation from someone else as similar sound signature and they seem awesome.

Do you still feel that way? I think they are two different kinds of IEM.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #664 of 862
So to put it in a nutshell, I've fallen in love with these. I couldn't seem to locate anyone saying how custom tips changed the sound on them, anyone with custom tips care to say their thoughts? Sadly the tips I love with these either wont fit or are uncomfortable :frowning2:

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #665 of 862
And how about foam tips with these? Anyone using them? 
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #667 of 862
Quote:
I never liked the memory foam tips but people have different brands then I might be up to revisiting them.  So far the Hifiman stock tips have worked best for me.

Well, I guess tip choice is much about personal taste. In my case, I really enjoy foam tips and I use them with all my main IEM, and I'll sure try to find some that will fit the RE-262... 
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #668 of 862
Which brand do you use?
I've also tried a lot of non-foam tips and none of them seem to work well for me.  I guess the bi-flange Hifiman tips are just perfect for me.  Would be pretty cool to get custom molds and keeping the RE-262 drivers.  However, the molds would cost more than the RE-262.

Quote:

Well, I guess tip choice is much about personal taste. In my case, I really enjoy foam tips and I use them with all my main IEM, and I'll sure try to find some that will fit the RE-262... 
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #669 of 862
Quote:
Which brand do you use?
I've also tried a lot of non-foam tips and none of them seem to work well for me.  I guess the bi-flange Hifiman tips are just perfect for me.  Would be pretty cool to get custom molds and keeping the RE-262 drivers.  However, the molds would cost more than the RE-262.

Well, with the RE-262 I don't use foams yet, because I haven't received it yet (the RE-262). But already know the Comply 400 series are supposed to work with them, so I guess I'll order some T400 to try! With my other IEM's, I use Jays Foams with my GR07 and I recently ordered some cheap generic foam tips from eBay for my EPH-100...

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #673 of 862
Would a desktop amp be overkill for these? I'm really into the description of the 262 but would mostly use them at my desk. I'd be looking at something like Asgard or KICAS or something like that. Would it be better to get a portable "balanced" amp (eg stepdance) or would I possibly get better sound with more power from a desktop setup? Anyone tried? I'd be running iphone 4 through Pure i-20 to amp.
Thanks!

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #674 of 862
Quote:
Would a desktop amp be overkill for these? I'm really into the description of the 262 but would mostly use them at my desk. I'd be looking at something like Asgard or KICAS or something like that. Would it be better to get a portable "balanced" amp (eg stepdance) or would I possibly get better sound with more power from a desktop setup? Anyone tried? I'd be running iphone 4 through Pure i-20 to amp.
Thanks!

Head-Fi has got two amplifier forums, one desktop and one portable. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #675 of 862
Quote:
Head-Fi has got two amplifier forums, one desktop and one portable.

LOL wow, you are so helpful!

see, my question was about the IEM re262 and how best to amp it. i'm pretty sure this is the appropriate forum for my question.

Maybe if I narrow my question I can avoid more confusion.

I'd like to hear from people who have tried the 262 with different amps, you know, since it has high impedance and responds well to more power than the average DAP can provide.

Anyone have experience with trying different amps, specifically desktop amps? What kind of power brings out the best from the 262?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back