Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Jul 31, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #586 of 862
I am trying to say that on the record you provided very deep bass was barely audible even on my reference monitor system - the one that has quite linear and non-colored response and never lacks any bit of bass. So 262-s are not really the ones to blame, maybe the recording itself is poorly mastered?

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #587 of 862
Are you sure your monitors are capable of playing that frequency properly? The bass through my speaker setup (with sub) and also with my M9s sounds great, but is almost inaudible on the RE262. Using a tone generator and my own ears, the bass is sitting around 30hz for it's lowest notes, about the limit for bass that can be called musical. The four notes appear to be B0, D1, E1, E2; 30.87hz, 36.71hz, 41.20hz, 82.41hz respectively.

Here's the order in the opening rhythm: E1, E1, E2, E1, E1, E1, rest, E1, B0 ---, D1 -- , repeat.

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #588 of 862
Hm, well, my monitors are 8" and w\o subwoofer they easily reproduce 40Hz maintaining flat response curve. I'm sure they go much deeper but maybe losing some dBs there. Anyway, this means that re-262 can also play at least 40Hz sounds quite confidently - which IMO is not bad at all for any IEMs.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #589 of 862
Hadn't been following this thread, but instead, the 272 one since I initially intended to purchase the 272. Nevertheless, my findings.
smile.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #590 of 862
It amazes me that the vocals on the 262's excel even that of my W4. The vocals are appreciably more crisp and I've never heard such vocals at this level of clarity.

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #591 of 862
Quality control issues?

I just received a pair of RE626 from head-direct, and the right channel is almost mute. Awaiting reply to an email I sent to them 24hrs ago, and hopefully there won't be a hassle to get a replacement or refund depending on which I opt for.

Has anyone else experienced QC issues with their RE626 or other head-direct phones? Any feedback on their customer service concerning returns and refunds?

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #595 of 862
Tried some smaller tips and a slightly different orientation and bass has improved somewhat. They also seem to stay put better. Still a little shy in the low end for me, but manageable now.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #596 of 862
Using the stock white double flanges, coupled with the Zo amp, the RE262 is truly capable of powerful, impactful lows, enough to satisfy even bassheads, without appreciable loss in SQ. If I am to be completely honest, I'd have never visited the RE262 in the first place, were it not for the Zo. I knew in my mind that in order to achieve the best results with the Zo amp, it's best I consider only those in-ears that are bass-light to bass-moderate, and of course, to no surprise, the 262 and Zo combination proves to be an exceptional combination! To these ears, the 262 are most certainly fit for top tiers, and may very well be ranked in my top 5; though nothing is absolute of course, and that may very well change altogether once I'm granted the opportunity to give the 272's a listen.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #597 of 862
I don't consider myself a basshead, I simply want to hear the entire spectrum. I ended up having to use the tiny single flanges from my M9s on the RE262 which were a pain in the rear to put on (very tight fit), but they seem to be giving me a better bass presentation for sure. Insertion depth is, as you probably guessed, deeper because of the smaller flanges. I was using regular size double flanges before. This is a step in the right direction, but I'm looking for better, eventually. :)

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #598 of 862
I hear you my friend, but given that there's 32 possible gain settings on the Zo, it can cater to just about anyone, from simple bass enthusiasts, to all bassheads alike IMO. Not to say that it's lacking, but without the Zo, the 262 isn't nearly as 'fun' as it is with the Zo.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back