HifiMan RE252 Appreciation Thread
Dec 13, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #76 of 271
Gotta love the low end fortitude these things exhibit.
L3000.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #77 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta love the low end fortitude these things exhibit.
L3000.gif

I am loving it. I think I am still missing the mad clarity(though the 252's are no slouch) on the RE0's, but tonight's listening is going well and music is sounding a lot more full and neat bass! Not that the RE0s were that poor just my S639 is having a much better time with the 252's.

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #78 of 271
Well I decided to try out the RE0 and compare to the RE252 before shipping the RE0 back. I concluded that the RE0 are superior out of an amp (in addition to fitting better for me). The RE0 have much more bass impact and attack and a fuller midrange than the RE252 (to my ears) although I did not go too in-depth in my comparisons.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #79 of 271
I received my pair of RE252 on Monday 12/14 and I have burnt them in for 48 hours. Of which they have about 6 hours of actual use and I am very impressed by what I have heard so far. I will let them settle for another 100 hours and hope to do some comparisons by Sunday, 12/20.

So far I can say:

1. Very comfortable, they disappear w/ the medium size silicone tip.
2. Nice detail, decay, separation, and well defined bass.
3. The semi clear tri and dual flange tips are made of a material that is very soft. This can be a problem for some since they collapse and you will not hear the sound in all its wonderfullness.
4. Nice cable, much better than on the UE SuperFi 3 and not microphonic as on the Etymotic ER4S/P.
5. Nice assortment of tips and kudos for the inclusion of a shirt clip.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #80 of 271
After using nothing but portable cans for a few days going back to the RE252 really convinces me that full-size sound in an IEM is no longer a distant, unattainable dream. In fact, I also get this feeling when switching from almost any other IEM in my stable to the RE252, including my beloved CK10s. The 252s are just oh-so-close to replicating the dimensionality and involvement of listening to much larger headphone. Controversial form factor aside I think the asking price is not at all unreasonable.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #81 of 271
Hopefully the next gen after the RE252 will be able to be worn over the ear.

I really want to try out the RE252s, but microphonics are one of my biggest pet peeves and I don't know how long I can put up with it, regardless of how good they sound.

I guess a shirt clip would work though... but that's annoying in its own regard as well.

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #82 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4. Nice cable, much better than on the UE SuperFi 3 and not microphonic as on the Etymotic ER4S/P.

You have to be kidding me... the cable is cheap junk, there's no denying it. Maybe it's not as stiff as the SF3, but you can guess the RE252 cable will break as soon as you look at it from a wrong angle. Maybe the Ety cable is more microphonic per se, but you can wear Etys over the ear, which makes it a lot better - something you can't do with the RE252.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #83 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... you can guess the RE252 cable will break as soon as you look at it from a wrong angle...

worf20laughing.gif

It sucks, I know, but it's not that severe.

I occasionally have problems with the fit of the left side, it's wierd. Sometimes I have to insert the earphone rotated clockwise ~100 degrees to get a good seal and be able hear more than muffled sounds. The right side fits my ear like a glove every time.
atsmile.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #84 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to be kidding me... the cable is cheap junk, there's no denying it. Maybe it's not as stiff as the SF3, but you can guess the RE252 cable will break as soon as you look at it from a wrong angle. Maybe the Ety cable is more microphonic per se, but you can wear Etys over the ear, which makes it a lot better - something you can't do with the RE252.

No! I am not kidding you. First off I can't stand cables over the ear and one of the many reasons I have never climbed the UE ladder. The cable on the RE252 does not seem that much different than the one used by Yuin on the OK1 or the PK1 which I have owned for quite a while and which have seen plenty of use. Neither has has had any issues and I do not expect the RE252 to have any either.

BTW, the RE252 now has 75 hours of burn-in of which about 8 are of actual use. The top end is now more extended but I find it a bit metallic, perhaps this unit will experience some of the up/down I have experienced w/ other cans/iems. I will see if it settles down over the next 48-72 hours. But I still like the RE252 a lot and for those w/o an amp well you could get by without one.

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #85 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, the RE252 now has 75 hours of burn-in of which about 8 are of actual use. The top end is now more extended but I find it a bit metallic, perhaps this unit will experience some of the up/down I have experienced w/ other cans/iems. I will see if it settles down over the next 48-72 hours. But I still like the RE252 a lot and for those w/o an amp well you could get by without one.

I felt they sounded good at about 200+ hours. The treble seemed very distant at earlier stages.

And my comments on the 252 vs. the RE0 is the comparatively small soundstage of the RE0 just kills it for me. On the detail front, I actually think the 252 is more detailed, but they way it is presented brings the RE0 details front and center.

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #87 of 271
I tried my friends RE-0 amped and my RE-252 amped and i cant make a decision on which i like more.

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #88 of 271
Now at about 120 hours of burn-in the RE252 has mellow out a bit from what I heard at 75 hours of burn-in. I also feel the sound although has opened up a bit I hear a bit of harshness in the mids which has not been there before. Not worried because I have seen this evolution on plenty of other cans before, besides there is more I like than this slight and hopefully transitory small setback. Bass remains tight and punchy, plus now that I learned how to insert them it is much easier to put on.
wink.gif
More to come.

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #89 of 271
When I first got mine, I burned them in for a while as well as tried to figure out the best way to get them to seal and stay in. I ended up burning them in for over 200 hours before I thought they sounded really good. And I now have a loaner pair of RE0, and comparing the two, I prefer the 252 by a good amount, and think the 252 is the better IEM in terms of micro detail, bass response, and treble.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #90 of 271
More comparison thoughts of RE252 v RE0:

- Well, first, the RE0 is not great with trance IMO, the RE252 sounds more open and has better bass, so it is doable for trance, and can be entertaining. Not preferred, but doable for me unlike the RE0.
- Renee Olstead - Lover Man: they are about the same, but different presentation as the RE0 has a more mid-forward presentation.
- Eagles - Hotel CA from Hell Freezes Over: the space is better with the RE252, and the drum reverberation is also better. I prefer the 252 presentation for this track.
- The Police - several songs: have a better overall presentation with the 252 as I feel the RE0's mid focus takes away from the cymbals that are an integral part of the music.
- One Republic - Apologize: going from the 252 to the RE0 makes the RE0 seem a little thin. Again, the mid-focus of the RE0 to me takes away from the overall presentation of the music.
- Jheena Lodwick - Emerald City: Close, as the RE0 presents the singer more up close and personal, but the 252 sounds more like a concert hall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back