HifiMan RE252 Appreciation Thread
Jan 6, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #106 of 271
Just received RE252 ... right out of iPod they sound STUNNING ... even without burn-in they are the best $300 IEMs I have tried.

Hope they will take care of me settling down once and for all ....

Will try with amp later!
Cheers

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #107 of 271
Good news! I'll be getting the RE252 in a couple weeks (if not sooner). They are being shipped from China again (didn't have to pay for shipping though).

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #108 of 271
Wanted to make sure I posted a review on the 252s, and I find my thoughts match many other HF members (ClieOS, HPA, mark2410) who reviewed these phones (though my review may not match some of the more esoteric written POVs on the 252s).

How’s it fit?

For me, the RE25s fir pretty well, I just don’t care much for the design. I had the RE3s before these, and had to cut the concha appendage (sounds disgusting, no?) off with an exacto knife to use them (they caused pain, in short). But these gummy bear 252s cause no such pain, though they are not a deep-seated phone. After trying some of the stock tips, I went right for my trusty large Sony hybrids, and they were fine, both fit and SQ-wise. Of course, ear shapes vary so much, these may not fit you so well and could cause pain, but it should dissipate over time cause they are so soft.

The 252 isolation is fair with the hybrids. My main problem is the wires come so close to my cheeks that they do cause some microphonics. Also, at least with the Hybrids, the 252s won’t substantially block out plane/subway/train noise. So they are not really cut out as commuting phones.

How’s it sound?
I tried the 252s with my limited sources, but ended up using them mostly with my Sony X because for me, these need bass EQ, which was also true of the RE3s. I listened to the usual assortment of test tracks: Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over, The Way You Look Tonight, Sinatra’s Nothing but the best CD, Diana Krall Live in Paris, some Zep and other classic rock, some new Beatles remasters, etc.

Treble is excellent, sparkle sans sibilance. I still favor the TF10s overall, but it’s just a personal thing.

In the middle, again the 252s are strong, certainly closer than the TF10 but not in your face. Although I will agree with others in that it certainly is the most dominant sound frequency for this phone, by a slim margin over treble and more over bass.

Bass-wise, much like the RE3 and RE2, Head-Direct phones need some help for me to enjoy them. I clicked the Clear Bass to +2 and that seemed to do the trick. I don’t have an amp any longer, save for the Amp3 (hiss with 252s), but the 252 won’t be confused with the CKS70 or IE8.

The RE252 soundstage is fine, with excellent detail, instrument separation. But again, no IE8 or other IEM know for soundstage. I also preferred the TF10 on this front.

I guess you can say that after trying a few “neutral” IEMs, I am more a fan of the colored sound, more along the lines of W3, S4, TF10 and (soon, I hope, they are en route) the Westone 2s. I sold my UM3X recently, in fact. I suppose the 252s also sound much different with the right amp, but to me, while I understand their excellent rep and reviews, I am not going to be using them as one of my main IEMs. It’s just a personal preference thing, certainly not a reflection of the SQ the 252s are capable of delivering.

Balance is the thing with these phones, with outstanding treble extension and detail, mids that deliver, but bass that while there, isn’t quite “there” for my tastes, if that makes any sense. Yet, with a little good EQ (or an amp with bass boost features), I am sure they can really have some added punch.

Finale
As noted, I recently sold my UM3X to try the Westone 2. That pretty much says it all re my view of the RE252s. For those who want detail, balance and a fine IEM, the 252s are a good choice. Also, while they were a good value during the $99 sale, I am not sure I would pay $199 for them now. There are so many worthwhile, less costly competitors out there (and with CES, the list is growing), it’s getting harder to spend $200 on phones (though I did on the W2s. Go figure).

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #109 of 271
Nice review, very similar experience with mine as well. I'm a bit 50/50 about the design, as you already know. For $100 they were a steal, but for $200 and with fitting issues...may not be worth while. But, I do think they're worth their price for their sound. But, like yourself the RE252 aren't my main IEMs due to their fitting, I prefer the RE0.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #110 of 271
Thanks. To me, why not put 252 SQ into a REO-style enclosure (or some variant)? Unless, of course, the design helps make it sound better. My first pair came unglued almost out of the box, and I could not see how the gummy enclosure would enhance the musical output, to be honest.

Again, sound is fantastic, but I am more and more gravitating to a less neutral IEM, as my review notes. I should have kept my W3s, but hope the W2s are close enough.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #112 of 271
I am having fit issues as well ... I really liked the foamies with the Ety4Ps
Would appreicate other suggestions for after market inserts ...

Sound is good but the fit and finish is not good for me ...

Thanks

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #113 of 271
Received mine almost a week back .Have used them only for a brief period.Had fit issues initially and I hated the design..but now my ears have got used to it .Still most of my folks find the design weird and have issues getting a proper seal.

Have done ~130 hrs of burn-in on these .They sound pretty good . . I find it as a a mixture of RE-0/RE-1 and a little more emphasis on the mids ..the detailing is as good as the RE-0 minus the transparency /neutral sound.Soundstage is wider.
Bass I find it lower than the RE-0.(RE-0 has a good amount of bass).
Low bass might be due to improper seal/ fit issues. (using the medium tip as the bi-flange wont work for me perfectly on RE-252 ..which actually works wonders with the RE-0 :S.)They are pretty easy to drive and sound good without an amp as well.

Will be doing a complete review or comparison with the RE-0 if head-fiers are more interested in a comparison.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #114 of 271
Good news! I received mine this morning!
ksc75smile.gif
Going to have a listen and post my findings with pictures later today.
ksc75smile.gif

I definitely would like to read your thoughts on the RE252 versus the RE0 Faheem.

Thank you everyone for all of your impressions, reviews and thoughts on these wonderful IEMs.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #115 of 271
No pictures yet!

I'm now listening to them from my Sansa Clip+ using the larger bi-flange tips they came with and I must say these are the best IEMs I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Headstage is wider as well as soundstage which prevents me from feeling claustrophobic when listening to my music. These IEMs are so sensitive that I am hearing instruments and sounds in tracks I have never heard before as well as noise from the my Clip+ while the music is playing at the lowest volumes making these the most sensitive IEMs I have ever owned. Highs and lows aren't rolled off or are non-existant as they would be on my i-tecs. I have previously owned SkullCandies and Panasonics. The RE252 simply blows them all away like a tornado combined with a hurricane.
ksc75smile.gif

My only irking? The microphonics. Aside from that I love them. I'll post a proper review on them and a comparison against amped i-tec IEMs after they have been burned in for five days.
L3000.gif

I also found that the RE252 that I received have foam in them. I'll remove it when I get the proper equipment.
biggrin.gif

Thank you again to customer support at Head-Direct and to everyone on these great forums.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #116 of 271
I am trying to find tips that will work with RE252 and my ears:

1. Do Comply tips work for RE252

2. I'd appreciate any expereince with Sony Hybrid Tips as well

I like RE252 middle of the road sound, not too dull not too exciting but I need to find right tips for them.

Thanks in advance
Sunil.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #119 of 271
Comply T400s tips did the trick with RE252 for me ...

Still waiting for Sony Hybrids ...

Finally they fit me ...

Thanks guys

Head-Direct should either ship them or have an option for people to buy ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back