some teaser pic of modded RE252

27181-re252-takes-best-er-4s-re0-re252km.jpg

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #139 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...ighlight=RE252

some teaser pic of modded RE252

27181-re252-takes-best-er-4s-re0-re252km.jpg

Yeah, but does it sound like an RE252 anymore? And if not, what is different?

PS: Nevermind, I looked at the other thread. Reading this made me want to pull out the RE252 and listen once more. I plugged them into my Macbook Pro with CEntrance DACport 24/96 USB DAC/amp, and loaded Nancy Bryan "Neon Angel" in 24/96. The sonic clarity and speed is more like a balanced armature, but without any rough edges. They don't have any sibilance or a flavor imparted on the music, but vocals are very vivid and crisp. I still really like them, although I do give my Westone 2 and Westone 3 more listening time lately (when not using my custom IEM which isolate too well when my family is home and needs me).

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #140 of 271
I starting to notice the 252 develop some extra-smoothness in the upper mids. Almost liquid-smooth. =]
Hellz yeah.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #141 of 271
Recent RE252 owner. I figure I'd add a few comments to the thread.

RE252:
Good:
-some of the best treble extension available. The only earphone I've used that offered a similar sound is the Triple.Fi 10 which I consider a king in the treble department. The RE252 offers the same clarity, edge, extension but is more natural and less "sweet" then the Triple.Fi 10. The CK10 might be about the only other IEM I've used with stellar top end detail, but it's a slightly different sound with better articulation, natural sound, but less edge and sense of limitlessness.
-one of the best balanced earphones I've used with no frequency overshadowing another. Everything blends great
-highly detailed and great dynamic range with the ability to recreate subtlety and nuances when appropriate.
-the presentation is very direct and open. The transparency is excellent. You get a very good sense of directly hearing the music rather then a device playing the music.
-sound stage is somewhat small but there is a great sense of depth and separation. Locational cues are decent.

Bad:
-lacks articulation of note. Some texture and variations to sounds are lost. Many earphones lack this ability though, either through a lack of detail or sometimes being too crisp or short on note to convey a thorough amount of information about the sound. Unfortunately, a sense of reality gets lost from this.
-this earphone is very sensitive to source quality. Poor quality music can make this earphone sound very bad. This earphone really shines with great music. The high level of detail, treble extension, dynamic range, and stage presence scale directly along with the quality of the recording and playing device.
-Tip choice will play a major role. Having a good seal will play a role in bass presence. Having an appropriately shaped and sized tip will allow for very good comfort. An incorrect tip will make this earphone very uncomfortable.
-construction is so so. The housing is plastic but is largely covered by the gummy structure. It doesn't come across super cheap to me though, although there are short cuts with construction including the rounded nozzle edges, the very squared and subsequently hard to use tips, and relatively generic box/enclosure. I've owned the UM3X, SE530, IE8 but also cheaper options like the NE-7M. Very few earphones convey "wealth," and they only two I've ever owned that has was the IE8 and SE530, but that was their design. To me, the RE252 is rather middle of the road, some corners cut (cost choices) but not bad really. I would like to see more reliefs for durability, but oh well. I would like to see better quality tips, and I use none of them. I used Olive tips over the Triple.Fi 10 stock foam tube. Comply T-500 tips would certainly work well, and the RE252 offers enough treble to not be very short using the open cell Comply foam. The hard part is the nozzle doesn't angle up, so the foam can easily bunch up and block the sound.
-comfort and bass performance relies on the correct tip and proper seal. Fitment is gummy + tip, so tip choice is less arbitrary then most earphones. A small or medium T-500 Comply tip can do wonders.

In all, the RE252 is a stellar product that's well priced new and is a steal of a price point (used, street price). I'm certainly inclined to consider this one of the best dynamic driver earphones out there, if not the best. Tip choice will play a huge role in fitment, comfort, and bass. If you want a no hassle option, buy the Comply T-500 3 pack that comes with large/medium/small. Just make sure you fit them in a way that keeps the foam back instead of getting squished in front of the nozzle. A smaller size does this easier. Modified Shure Olive foams or other foams certainly are good options. They just need to be short enough or pulled back during insertion in a way that keeps the nozzle clear. A closed cell type like the Olive will maintain strong highers. An open cell type like the Comply will provide tamer highs and have the mid and bass come across a little stronger. A good seal will yield a significant amount of bass quantity and extension. a poor seal will sound a bit anemic and lacking. Poor tip choice (size, shape, etc.) will also yield less comfortable fitment too.

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #142 of 271
Burn-in your RE-252 more. RE0 and RE-252 do a very good job at conveying note articulation. Really well recorded music helps, too. Conveying a sense of reality (along with their excellent timbre) is what gives these two earphones their "WOW!" factor. The zeroes have slightly better timbre, though, but it could be a question of burn-in.

I strongly recommend the Monster gel supertips for RE-252. I don't like Comply tips on anything. The Monster tips actually don't fit me, especially on my Turbine Pros, but together with the 252's unique gummy housing, I get the perfect seal with them. (or just about any tip, lol) But with the supertips, the sound is a pinch more detailed and defined than with any other tips I've tried.

May 17, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #144 of 271
Also, a very transparent and detailed amp helps, too.

May 26, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #145 of 271
Just got those yesterday, and after a couple of listening hours, I must say that I am very positively surprised!
I already have IE8 and like them very much, but I also wanted something less bass heavy, because sometimes I feel IE8's bass overwhelming.
Well, that's exactly what the RE252 deliver! I was scared to make a downgrade in absolute sound quality but I was wrong. Those are excellent as well, just different.
Lots of things have been said about those, so I won't make it long. One word comes to my mind when I listen to those: balance!
With the IE8, I HAD to equalize the midbass hump. The RE252 is almost perfectly balanced, and no frequency overshadows another.
At first, bass seemed of course light compared to IE8, but actually it is there, and I think the quantity is just right. The IE8 is more of a fun IEM compared to those.

I think I will like them very much, even if the comfort, at the moment, is not optimal cause of the strange housing.

May 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #146 of 271
Welcome to the club!

They will get even better with lots of burn-in. Enjoy!

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #148 of 271
Geeze, I love those things!!

Cannot remove them from my ears! And when I do so in order to compare them to IE8, I am very quickly back to those!
They are so balanced and natural sounding. Mediums have a better timber than IE8, bass is controlled (compared to the very boomy IE8'sbass), and treble are extended and sparkling without sounding harsh. There also is a kind of airy presentation that makes them more enjoyable.
I LOVE those things!!!

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #149 of 271
Hey, it's me, again!

I am listening to some Jazz/Fusion tracks, and those are absolutely stellar! There is simply nothing wrong with the RE252! Bass is present but not overwhelming (I really cannot listen to IE8 any more
blink.gif
), it is tight and fast, mids are a bit forward and very transparent and lush, highs are extended and relaxed at the same time (never harsh sounding).
And there is the airy presentation!
I don't understand why those aren't getting more attention...maybe it's due to the strange housing (?).
I haven't heard many high end IEMs, but they certainly give IE8's a run for their money!

Sorry, it seems like I am repeating myself, but those who consider the RE252, don't hesitate a second! I would like to hear RE0 to see whether they are much worse or not that far away, considering the price difference.

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #150 of 271
The RE252s are among the most transparent in-ears I have tried to date, they scale very well did a test with a few amplifiers the other day trying to figure out if I like the RE252s or the RE-ZEROs the most, so far I find the ZEROs a bit too bright but I am still playing around with the different tips.

Decay wise I think you have to spend a lot of money to get something more faith full than the RE252s, in that regard they sound truer to my ears than the W3s but with the W3s having the edge when it comes to imaging, bass extension among other things.

I think the soft shell is a good idea, however, not perfected with the RE252s. Maybe Head-Directs new RE262s will be better in that regard.

How does the different casing affect the sound kostalex? I would suspect Head-Direct tweaked the driver housing to their licking.

EDIT:
Forgot this sums up my thoughts on the RE252s if anyone is interested in them: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/RE252/1.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back