HifiMan RE252 Appreciation Thread
Jun 21, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #151 of 271
Thanks Frederik,

Your review was the trigger for my purchase :wink:

And, oh, I see you are using the RE-zero. I thought they might be RE-252 drivers in RE-0 shells, but it seems it is a completely different phone, right?
How does it compare to RE-252? Also, I see the RE-zero are not available on head-Direct website right now. Is there a release date? Cause with a limited number of IEMS produced, I've got to be fast, I guess :wink:

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #152 of 271

Quote:
The RE252s are among the most transparent in-ears I have tried to date, they scale very well did a test with a few amplifiers the other day trying to figure out if I like the RE252s or the RE-ZEROs the most, so far I find the ZEROs a bit too bright but I am still playing around with the different tips.

Decay wise I think you have to spend a lot of money to get something more faith full than the RE252s, in that regard they sound truer to my ears than the W3s but with the W3s having the edge when it comes to imaging, bass extension among other things.

I think the soft shell is a good idea, however, not perfected with the RE252s. Maybe Head-Directs new RE262s will be better in that regard.

How does the different casing affect the sound kostalex? I would suspect Head-Direct tweaked the driver housing to their licking.

EDIT:
Forgot this sums up my thoughts on the RE252s if anyone is interested in them: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/RE252/1.html

kostalex didn't actually take out the driver - he put the driver with part of the original housing into the new, smaller shell.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #153 of 271
I think that's exactly what he meant. He's asking how the change in housing (shell) changed the sound sig. Dynamics unlike BA do change with housing after all

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #154 of 271

Quote:
I think that's exactly what he meant. He's asking how the change in housing (shell) changed the sound sig. Dynamics unlike BA do change with housing after all

But like I said, kostalex did not take the RE252 out of their old shell - he basically just added a new shell on top of the old shell, so the sound remained the same.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #155 of 271
Wouldn't putting that top shell which has a different dimension change the sound sig? I don't know myself, but curious about it all.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #156 of 271

Quote:
Wouldn't putting that top shell which has a different dimension change the sound sig? I don't know myself, but curious about it all.

He just enclosed the old shell in a new shell, but leave the nozzle of the old shell I suppose.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #157 of 271
Hmm but then you also have to factor in the material of the new shell right? But i've owned RE252 and the gummy covering actually came off on my first pair and I remember it not having that much of an opening without it anyways. The sound sig shouldn't change all that much even if it does then.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #158 of 271
As long as he didn't touch the inside of the RE252 I don't see how the signature could change. If only head direct would get a better cable now.

On another note I almost ended up getting these. I saw a price that was almost too good to pass up even though I don't need another phone.

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #159 of 271
Yeah, I almost jumped on that one in the FS forum too. But just like some of the customs I've passed up, I could spend the money on better things that will make me money rather than spending it on items like that. It's a bit of a no-brainer for me.

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #160 of 271
Hehe, you should try them, they are THAT good
atsmile.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #161 of 271
The gummy material on my RE-252 is kind of coming apart near the cable exit /stain relief like part. The sound's still there but I am afraid they might die any moment now. Can I get them RMAed or something ?

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #162 of 271
If it is still within warranty, contact Head-Direct for repair. If it is already pass warranty, try a little bit superglue.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #164 of 271
They don't really need much to drive them.  You will notice very little difference between amping and not.  You will always experience at least a tiny change due to more headroom available to driver the earphones, but there are a lot of other earphones out there that need a heck of a lot more power to get them to 100%.  The RE252 is easy to get there.

A benefit you can get from amping, at least with a more expensive amp, is a good integrated DAC.  This can help a lot when playing through a laptop for example where either the audio quality is only so-so or there is a relatively high noise floor from the electronics.  The RE252 is also one of the most sensitive earphones to the quality of the source that I've used.  They sound much worse on poor audio devices and playing low bitrate songs.  It goes to show how much info they actually portray in the audio and how much they can scale to the quality of what comes into them.  When crap goes in, crap comes out, so be careful and make the extra effort.  It's an earphone worthy enough to probably step away from your little E5, not because of a need for more power but because you have the opportunity to hear audio better than you can now.  I also know your RE0 will benefit more from an increase in wattage.  There are a number of earphones out there that can make good use of a good bit more power.  The RE0 is one of them.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #165 of 271

Quote:
They don't really need much to drive them.  You will notice very little difference between amping and not.  You will always experience at least a tiny change due to more headroom available to driver the earphones, but there are a lot of other earphones out there that need a heck of a lot more power to get them to 100%.  The RE252 is easy to get there.

That's what I thought too when I plugged my RE252 into the Pico Slim for the first time today.  Besides the standard amping benefits, I noticed almost no difference.  But, there is a slight increase in room, like you mentioned, and clarity which is good.  RE0 had more benefits, but it kinda led me to the idea of even amped, in terms of engaging and fun, the RE0 still falls short to the RE252.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back