HifiMan RE252 Appreciation Thread
Dec 6, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #62 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, build wise: Extreme microphonic, one of the worst offenders I've heard. Being forced to wear them cable-down sure doesn't help. The cable also just screams 'cheapest ever', just like the RE0 before them. Quite sub-par isolation, almost on V-Moda Vibe level. The IE8 isolate quite a bit more, for my ear shapes at least - and the IE8 isolation leaves a lot to be desired. And yes, you're right - it's almost impossible getting tips on those things without damaging the filter meshes. Not to mention their lint-magnetism.

Sound wise: Are they made for people who find Ety ER-6 too bassy? Are they made for people who find q-Jays to have too little treble? They've been playing some music over night, and now ~10 hours later very little has changed. I don't think the magical burn-in fairy will turn them into something completely different as time goes by, but I'll wait and see. So far, "unnatural" doesn't even start to describe the sound I'm hearing, unfortunately.

That sucks. I do get good isolation, better than the RE0's. I, too, noticed it did not sound good around the first ten hours of use, they should improve by the next 35~50 hours. =]

I'm not keeping track of burn-in on mine, but I'm estimating. I'm no longer burning mine in, they sound good now so they are pumping out music only.
L3000.gif

I used pink noise for most of the burn-in. I think mine are at about 60 hours now.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #63 of 271
mine started burning-in in less than 6 hours i'm not sure if its done though

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #64 of 271
OK so far I think they are a step up from the RE0s straight out of my Fuze. RE0s probably do better with an amp, but that's for others to try as I no longer have the RE0s or an amp. Overall the reviews already posted are accurate in describing the sound of the RE252s, but I noticed a couple of other things myself.

First the bass seems to go deeper when compared to the RE0s, thought the difference might be slight. Second i enjoy the separation/soundstage on these a lot more compared to the RE0s. I can actually separate the different instruments in my head without one interfering with the other.

Unfortunately other flaws come up with the RE252s. The build quality on these isn't as great because you have to make sure you don't rip the gel attachment on the earphones and as mentioned earlier the filter is somewhat sensitive. But worst of all is the design of the earphones themselves. The design limits you to use them straight, which won't work for everyone and you can't insert these deeply into the ears. After experimenting I have found other ways of placing them in your ears than the one you are limit to by it's design, that work a lot better but look very silly because of the gel part sticks out. Therefore because you can't really experiment with the fit, getting good isolation from these is tough. But sometimes even with a bad fit, I'm generally satisfied with the isolation (thought I can't compare it directly with another iem). The plus side on this is that they are easy to place in that you don't insert them very deeply, but getting the gel part of the earphone to be place properly prolongs the insertion.

Overall, Even though I like the sound, I really hope they change that horrible design.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #65 of 271
I used cx95 mid-sized tips, the soundstage is much improved than using the tips that come with 252, now as big as ok2, but with a more expensive and limitless quality. The sound is pushed into the background, there is air everywhere.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #67 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try pushing the back of you ear inside out and cup your hands and catch them instead of pulling the strain relief to take them out.
smily_headphones1.gif
hope that helps
To me hearing my heartbeat (when I wear these I hear it which hasn't happened for any other IEM I have used) and tinnitus when there is no sound or light sound is worse than the microphonics.
I think the heart beat thing has to do with the little curve thing at the top of the IEM cause I know as an EMT we have heart monitors that clip to that same area of the ear

It begins to sound like mind control device.
happy_face1.gif

I am still waiting for more impressions before I get one.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #68 of 271
Received an email today notifying me about the RE252 being shipped out today as stock during the Black Friday sale had run out and that I will also be receiving a free E3.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #71 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so you purchased it after the sale?

Definitely not.
biggrin.gif
Got them before the Black Friday sale ended.
ksc75smile.gif
Can't wait to listen to them after burn-in.
L3000.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #72 of 271
For my ears OK1 has more detail and spaciousness but you do not get the isolation that you get with the RE252.

Yesterday I compared in an airplane trip the isolation of the RE252, ER4P/S and Westone E3X.

ER4P/S are the ones that isolate the most but they have their sound profile and some people are unable to wear them.

The isolation of the E3X and the RE252 is similar.

For some music and mind states I woudl prefer one or the other.

It seems to me that the RE252 gives a more natural sound, but mey be that it is just my personal impression.

Best regards

Dec 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #73 of 271
i had a thread about the 252 and someone asked me:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you taken out the foam in the RE252s? really helps the sound. Also try sony hybrid tips.

I would like to know how to do this and if you can put it back in after you take it out.
Thanks for any help

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #74 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to know how to do this and if you can put it back in after you take it out.

First page on this thread
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I'll like to suggest to those who are of adventure type the foam-less mod (note: potentially warranty voiding!). It is basically the same as my RE1 treble mod. I tried it this morning and find it to be generally positive. RE252 sounds more lively and energetic with the mod.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #75 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First page on this thread
smile.gif

The foam in mine is super recessed i don't think i'm gonna risk anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back