HifiMan RE252 Appreciation Thread
Dec 4, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #46 of 271
Loving my RE252s, fit wasn't to much of an issue.

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #47 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to hear the isolation is very good as it was something I was worried about. Luckily they may even have better isolation than the RE0s.

Yes, I tried the biflanges today and the isolation is very, very good. The stock biflanges are a little too big for me so aftermarket ones will have to do.

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #50 of 271
I got them today, and for me it has been the most negative unboxing/first impression experience of all IEMs I own, so far. Not sure how to put this nicely... but for me the only positive point of these things is clarity. Couldn't find anything else to like about them yet, sound- or build-wise.

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #51 of 271
That's too bad. How come?

Build-wise? lol
I found the gumminess wierd at first too. But the dust-magnet characteristic takes a slight bit of learning to handle, but it is still annoying, and I've never had such a hard time getting tips on an earphone =(

Edit: yes, they are quite microphonic, but the included shirt clip helps a bit.

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #52 of 271
Love them now that I finally got them to stop hurting.
Review:
Bass: It's there but a little lacking if you like a lot of bass
Vocals: Very very good, clear, accurate.
Soundstage: Fairly large
Treble: Is just right (if the it got any higher it would be to high but its not)
Detail: Very good, clear, crisp.
Instrument/Sound separation: Very Good, I can hear little things in the back as well as the main beats.

I think I enjoy these as much or more than my HFI-780s that just got sold and shipped today. Time to upgrade to some PRO 900s

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got them today, and for me it has been the most negative unboxing/first impression experience of all IEMs I own, so far. Not sure how to put this nicely... but for me the only positive point of these things is clarity. Couldn't find anything else to like about them yet, sound- or build-wise.

they do need burn in

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #53 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's too bad. How come?

Build-wise? lol
I found the gumminess wierd at first too. But the dust-magnet characteristic takes a slight bit of learning to handle, but it is still annoying, and I've never had such a hard time getting tips on an earphone =(

Well, build wise: Extreme microphonic, one of the worst offenders I've heard. Being forced to wear them cable-down sure doesn't help. The cable also just screams 'cheapest ever', just like the RE0 before them. Quite sub-par isolation, almost on V-Moda Vibe level. The IE8 isolate quite a bit more, for my ear shapes at least - and the IE8 isolation leaves a lot to be desired. And yes, you're right - it's almost impossible getting tips on those things without damaging the filter meshes. Not to mention their lint-magnetism.

Sound wise: Are they made for people who find Ety ER-6 too bassy? Are they made for people who find q-Jays to have too little treble? They've been playing some music over night, and now ~10 hours later very little has changed. I don't think the magical burn-in fairy will turn them into something completely different as time goes by, but I'll wait and see. So far, "unnatural" doesn't even start to describe the sound I'm hearing, unfortunately.

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #54 of 271
AT the moment I only use these over the Westone 3 and E3X. I had previously the Triple Fi 10 Pro, the Shure e500 and I still own the Etys E4P/S and RE0.

I carry in the some pouch the Westone E3x and the Re252 and I constatntly pick up the RE252.

The RE252 are comfortable to my ears and they sound extremely well. I am sorry but to my ears both Westones have too much bass that may cover the detail that with the RE252 is crystal.

Isolation excellent.

Microphonics, similar to others.

But that is just my ears opinion.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #56 of 271
Microphonics are somewhat annoying (but I've heard much worse) and I'm almost offended by these not being wearable over-the-ear. However, I find the isolation to be very good. With my Altec Lansing biflanges these isolate about the same as RE0+Shure Olies. I am concerned that when putting these in/removing them constantly the silicone "strain relief" bit on the cord may get detached from the body. Time will tell.

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #57 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Microphonics are somewhat annoying (but I've heard much worse) and I'm almost offended by these not being wearable over-the-ear. However, I find the isolation to be very good. With my Altec Lansing biflanges these isolate about the same as RE0+Shure Olies. I am concerned that when putting these in/removing them constantly the silicone "strain relief" bit on the cord may get detached from the body. Time will tell.

try pushing the back of you ear inside out and cup your hands and catch them instead of pulling the strain relief to take them out.
smily_headphones1.gif
hope that helps
To me hearing my heartbeat (when I wear these I hear it which hasn't happened for any other IEM I have used) and tinnitus when there is no sound or light sound is worse than the microphonics.
I think the heart beat thing has to do with the little curve thing at the top of the IEM cause I know as an EMT we have heart monitors that clip to that same area of the ear

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #59 of 271
Answering to the question by prone2phone, the scenario is wide and deep.

Concerning the mixed reviews comment by Inks, I could not take the Triple Fi 10 Pro or the Shure e500 and others were very fond of them.

So this is the variety of life.

Best

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #60 of 271
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try pushing the back of you ear inside out and cup your hands and catch them instead of pulling the strain relief to take them out.
smily_headphones1.gif
hope that helps

Yeah, that's the ideal case. Truth is, I often have to remove my IEMs in a hurry and these suckers can be hard to grip. Also, they don't fit in my small UE hardcase too well with the long biflange tips on
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back